Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campingaz Cartridge Cold Weather Problem

jimmywease

jimmywease

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Upon arriving in Norfolk on Monday evening, I tried to use our back-up stove for the first time: a single ring burner, with Campingaz CP250 disposable canisters.

The canisters had been in the boot for months, still in their bubble wrap packaging.

After a few minutes, the stove shut off completely and only after some research, I realised that the canisters were too cold, despite us driving 5 hours that day.

Simply immersing the canisters in warm water for a few minutes solved the problem. Had the site washrooms been closed, there would have been some fraught attempts to heat one canister with another, in a pan of water, using the briefly available gas from each!

If you are using them in the little stoves, often just having the flap open and sun shining on them helps. Alternatively warm with body heat before use

A possible standby for the cold, 350g version also available. Note possible?

If you are using them in the little stoves, often just having the flap open and sun shining on them helps. Alternatively warm with body heat before use
The sun certainly didn’t help but I’ll definitely try popping one down my trousers next time!

I’m really surprised how susceptible they were to the cold. I tested a canister the next day, after being left overnight in the awning with two dogs and a 2.5kw radiator. Same problem again. Perhaps all the propane content had gone by then.

A possible standby for the cold, 350g version also available. Note possible?

I’m not sure this would fit the stove, or if this is a canister for vertical-only use.

The low temperature problem is easily resolved (by the trouser method or other) but I thought I’d post it, in case another canister novice gets stumped. I found it a bit perplexing and stressful (on a hungry late arrival), given my expectation of the stove being idiot-proof!

Most Caravans and Motorhomes use Propane gas to avoid this problem with Butane.

Butane stops vapourising when the Temperature gets down to freezing point, slows down before that level hence looks like its running out.

Update: This issue with the cold was almost certainly exacerbated by a faulty stove. I loved the compact case of the Outwell Appetiser Solo, but it frequently refused to allow gas flow, particularly in cold weather. I’ve since changed to a Campingaz Bistro. It comes in a larger carry case, but seems a little more sturdy and reliable.

Just thought that I should highlight that it wasn’t solely the cold weather /butane combination giving me grief.

Back