Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cold start problem

Update:
With the battery replaced the cold start problem has so far dissapeared.

Thanks all for your comments and help.
How many miles have you done in the past year between having the new battery fitted and now?

How many miles have you done in the past year between having the new battery fitted and now?
8k but I must admit I don't think the problem truely went away perhaps my post (immediately after battery change) was premature and optimistic. I'm posting again now just because I have a little time to think about it and take easy action (like fuel filter).

Something like this.

Chamonix -> Furka Pass -> Dolomites -> Ancona/Patras/Athens -> Kalymnos -> Datça -> Geyikbayiri -> Athens -> Leonidio -> Athens/Patras/Ancona -> Sardinia -> Chamonix

We are climbers all these are climber destinations also often very close to the sea.

re: 90/180
You can use Turkey/Croatia. My partner and I are both dual nationals (EU one, and NZ other) so we are fortunate to have more flexibility. For NZ bi-lateral agreements help provide more flexibility in schengen.
Great trip :)

8k but I must admit I don't think the problem truely went away perhaps my post (immediately after battery change) was premature and optimistic. I'm posting again now just because I have a little time to think about it and take easy action (like fuel filter).
Robin,

put it to the back of your mind, you have very very limited time to do anything about it.

change the fuel filter and go ( life’s too short).

I did think about putting an additonal fuel filter and water trap on the low pressure side of the fuel system so it can be inspected if required in future with the added benefit of a fuel water trap (which is not currently employed).

The fuel filter should have been changed at the last full service. But they are only about £30 for a Bosch filter on Ebay and are easy to change anyway.

One word of caution

do not attempt to fit a fuel filter yourself unless you have VCDS etc or can prime the filter another way.

the fuel filter must be primed before attempting to restart the Van , this can be done by the dealers system or VCDS.

failing to prime the fuel filter will prevent your van from starting (severely)

Last edited:
For completeness

One word of caution

do not attempt to fit a fuel filter yourself unless you have VCDS etc or can prime the filter another way.

the fuel filter must be primed before attempting to restart the Van , this can be done by the dealers system or VCDS.

failing to prime the fuel filter will prevent your van from starting (severely)
When I fitted a fuel filter I primed it with a syringe. Filled it right to the top. That was 6k miles ago. Started instantly and ran perfectly after.

Back