Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite reccomendations for Aquitaine

bigmac77

bigmac77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Can anyone recommend a campsite near to the beach somewhere between Arcachon and Biarritz? We are looking for somewhere to stay next August with our kids, they are 10 & 7 and would like a swimming pool but we could do without sites with lots of noise and ideally not too remote either. Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a campsite near to the beach somewhere between Arcachon and Biarritz? We are looking for somewhere to stay next August with our kids, they are 10 & 7 and would like a swimming pool but we could do without sites with lots of noise and ideally not too remote either. Thanks.
Difficult to find a French site WITHOUT a pool.
have a look at Eurocamp for site ideas. Busy area though.

I have 2 kids at school and my wife is a teacher so end of July and August is all we have. We did two weeks in Il de Re this summer plus a week in Finistere also did a similar trip last year but spent more time in Normandy so we can cope with peak season. Just didn't want to book somewhere with loads of young surfers having 24 hr parties. Those days for me are gone (sadly). My wife likes Il de Re so we will do a week or so there plus a couple of weeks somewhere to the south but dont want to head to the Med coast as I find it too warm. For us the Atlantic coast is perfect.

Last edited:
Try Cool Camping France, nice simple sites

Hope this is useful.

http://www.pavillon-royal.com Bidart near Biarritz.
Certainly not cheap but facilities are very good and with direct access to a good surfing beach. They have many different pitch area's and I'm sure you could ask for a quieter location. We have used this as our first campsite for the past two years after arriving from the Bilbao ferry.

This yea we then moved to the Arcachon basin area (very good for cycling) this year staying at a quiet typically French campsite in Ares. Flower Camping La Canadienne

I'd have advised joining ACSI but as it's near year end it's best to wait until Jan. No discounts during main season.

Worth a browse, for the kids if nothing else.

https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/france/aquitaine/
I joined for a year last year just to get the book but a short entry in a camping listing book doesn't tell you what it is really like.

Thanks @Lost in the Forest and @hotel california thats just what I was after a personal recommendation of a site you have stayed at.

I joined for a year last year just to get the book but a short entry in a camping listing book doesn't tell you what it is really like.

Thanks @Lost in the Forest and @hotel california thats just what I was after a personal recommendation of a site you have stayed at.
The App's really good as it gets updated.

I always went June into July time previously and it was pretty busy then but forget which sites used. Didn't book just went with the weather. Couldn't do that during August.
Problem that I found was that the sites were gradually filling up with statics and cabins leaving odd corners for tourers.

If going by Brittany Ferries my Club Membership can give you 10% discount, just ask for details.
I get a £10 voucher, valid for the following year, max 15 per year rest don't give me anything.