Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can’t tax my van - catch 22

• Thread starter superchargedpolo
  • Start date
S

superchargedpolo

VIP Member
Just got my V11 through the post. My van is 3 years old in a coupe of weeks so it will need an MOT. I can’t MOT it at the moment as most garages are shut. I do need to use my van to get the weekly shop etc. So I need to tax it.

The DVLA website and phone line won’t let me renew the tax due to no MOT. I thought there was a 6 months grace period in place.

Anyone else had this problem and found a way round it?

Take a screen shot of the DVLA web pages and your attempt to tax it, print it out and keep it in the Van. That way if your pulled over by the police you can show your intentions to tax the vehicle and the Mot extension scheme currently in place.
Check back after the expiry date of you MOT, should be all good then.

Just got my V11 through the post. My van is 3 years old in a coupe of weeks so it will need an MOT. I can’t MOT it at the moment as most garages are shut. I do need to use my van to get the weekly shop etc. So I need to tax it.

The DVLA website and phone line won’t let me renew the tax due to no MOT. I thought there was a 6 months grace period in place.

That can't be right. If its not three years old it doesn't need an MOT to be able to tax it today.
Try putting the registration number into the DVLA MOT checker website & see what it says - should say 1st MOT due xxxxxx

That can't be right. If its not three years old it doesn't need an MOT to be able to tax it today.
Try putting the registration number into the DVLA MOT checker website & see what it says - should say 1st MOT due xxxxxx

I'm assuming it will not let you do it in advance if the MOT expires (ie 3 years from registration) before the tax renewal date? However the tax is always from the end of the month (as far as I'm aware that's still the case?) - so if your MOT gets extended in mid-Apr then you should still have time to tax it before that expires. Or if your tax has already expired end of March, then you should still be able to tax it as of today as @superchargedpolo says?

sorry missread the original post, I thought you had just got the V5 , not the V11.
It is just the DVLA have not got round to extending your MOT expiry yet, try again in another week.

From memory (not 100% accurate) I seem to recall that the MOT must be valid for a period after the VED is due, 1 month?

As the auto MOT extension won't be in place until the day that it currently expires it should be possible to renew the VED on the day following that.

No doubt lots of cases arising and DVLA hopefully resolving the issue.

sorry missread the original post, I thought you had just got the V5 , not the V11.
It is just the DVLA have not got round to extending your MOT expiry yet, try again in another week.
I think the problem is the MOT extension is for an existing MOT that expires after April 1st. The OP doesn't have a MOT as the vehicle is just 3 yrs old.

From the DVLA website

Check your MOT expiry date has been extended
Your MOT expiry date will usually be updated on the day your MOT is due to expire. However, it might be done up to a few days before.

You can check your MOT history to see when your MOT expiry date has been extended. Keep checking back if your new expiry date is not showing yet.

and

What is the vehicle's registration number?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
MOT extensions are being processed in date order.
This means that the MOT expiry date for your car, van or motorcycle may not yet be showing the 6 month extension.

As they are being done in date order I wouldnt panic yet!

Sorry, I should have said. It’s the very first MOT the van is 3 years old in 1.5 weeks.
I was just trying to get ahead of the game and tax it now, for May 1st as I had the reminder through.
Looks like I’ll wait for the MOT to be overdue and hope it gets extended, then I can tax it.

Our RFL ran out at the beginning of April so I have SORN'd it as we're not going anywhere. Worry about it when the restrictions are over. luckily we do not park on the road but I can see it's a problem if you do.

Vehicle mechanics are classed as a vital business so they allowed to stay open. I had no trouble finding a local garage to do my MOT just two days ago. I suppose it depends what’s available where you live though.

UPDATE.

Just to answer this thread.
I managed to tax my van today for May 2020 onwards.
Allthough my first MOT would have been due today the DVLA have updated their site now and I have a 6 month extension. This allowed me to go and tax my van as normal.
There was just a lag between issuing the V11 and extending the 1st MOT until October 2020.

Vehicle mechanics are classed as a vital business so they allowed to stay open. I had no trouble finding a local garage to do my MOT just two days ago. I suppose it depends what’s available where you live though.
Why? It wasn’t due for another six months.

Why? It wasn’t due for another six months.

Oh pipe down

1. The van hadn’t been looked at for a year.
2. I’m relying on the vehicle to get shopping for relatives who are shielding.
3. There were two faults that needed fixing.

...but it’s not really any of your business, is it.

Oh pipe down

Top tip... don’t post things on a forum if you don’t want people to comment on them. :thumb

Top tip... don’t post things on a forum if you don’t want people to comment on them. :thumb

Apparently, some people just can’t resist leaving a little remark. But if it doesn’t contribute anything helpful to the discussion then why say it? I don’t want to feel like I’m being criticised for getting my van MOT’d. Some people just think they know it all; a bit too quick to judge without giving the benefit of the doubt. I only shared my experience to help out the original poster. I thought this forum was generally good spirited with everyone looking out for each other. I’d like to think I can post advice on here without being scrutinised.

So here’s my top tip: if your contribution doesn’t actually provide any constructive advice or help out other readers, (or is purely self-gratifying), then maybe you should think twice before posting.

Oh pipe down

Who got out of bed the wrong side this morning?
1. Don’t you do basic checks yourself or is the mot the only time it gets looked at.
2. So what. The mot doesn’t check reliability
3. So maintenance only gets done when it’s MOT time.

If it’s no one else’s buisiness best not post on a public forum.
Your journey was even less necessary than Amarillo’s chicken run.
The mots were extended specifically to save you having to go out and have it done.

Apparently, some people just can’t resist leaving a little remark. But if it doesn’t contribute anything helpful to the discussion then why say it? I don’t want to feel like I’m being criticised for getting my van MOT’d. Some people just think they know it all; a bit too quick to judge without giving the benefit of the doubt. I only shared my experience to help out the original poster. I thought this forum was generally good spirited with everyone looking out for each other. I’d like to think I can post advice on here without being scrutinised.

So here’s my top tip: if your contribution doesn’t actually provide any constructive advice or help out other readers, (or is purely self-gratifying), then maybe you should think twice before posting.
I did think twice before posting - I though why on earth has someone endangered on mot tester, carried out an ununeccessary journey all for something that didn’t need doing. I thought if I put it like that it would come across a bit harsh. So I didn’t, I simply asked why you had it done.

There is an interesting comment here, there is a suggestion that there are 2 faults that need fixing, by that you are suggesting that it would not pass an MOT if tested, if that’s the case be careful driving it, MOT certificate or not it’s a legal requirement to keep a vehicle in roadworthy condition.
If you know it has faults that would mean a fail then get it fixed

Back