Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

can I still claim for the roof corrosion?

If it was mine, I wouldn't have a plastic cap fitted. I investigate having it replaced with a new composition aluminium cap like VW originally did.

Where can you actually buy a plastic cap to cover the cowl. It must have been VW themselves that commissioned them So the chances of buying one would be almost impossible.

If it was mine, I wouldn't have a plastic cap fitted. I investigate having it replaced with a new composition aluminium cap like VW originally did.
To actually “Replace” the cap like VW originally did would run into £1000s.
Thats why VW went for the cheap option and just cover the corrosion with the plastic cap. This option was never going to work over the long run. Plus they look bloody awful.

Your best bet would be to try and get the details from one of the body shops that VW used for the repairs, although the chances of them letting you have it are pretty slim.
Good luck,
Agreed & agreed! Was hoping someone on here might have the details TBH.

To actually “Replace” the cap like VW originally did would run into £1000s.
Thats why VW went for the cheap option and just cover the corrosion with the plastic cap. This option was never going to work over the long run. Plus they look bloody awful.
VW don’t fix the problem, they just patch it up. The issue will happen on all Cali’s eventually, by then it’s outside of warranty. We will never buy a van with an Alu roof again, have owned 3 vans with GRP roofs and never had any issues -
Ok, they don’t look as nice, but they last.

VW don’t fix the problem, they just patch it up. The issue will happen on all Cali’s eventually, by then it’s outside of warranty. We will never buy a van with an Alu roof again, have owned 3 vans with GRP roofs and never had any issues -
Ok, they don’t look as nice, but they last.
Unless it's a Marco Polo.
VW changed the alloy composition of the cap above the windscreen MY 2015 onwards, so I was told.

Agreed & agreed! Was hoping someone on here might have the details TBH.
A coincidence….

Appreciate the info, thanks although I have seen this before and pictures of the work as it was carried out.

However the info that I'm missing & specifically nterested in is how they decree the cap should be fitted (how the sealant adhesive should be applied / where it should be applied and whether they decree thar sealant should be run around the 'cap' between cap and body once fitted?

Thanks
Hi,
Would be interested to hear how you get on. My 2012 was repaired with plastic roof panel in 2017, it came back like new but in 2023 it is now badly corroded. VW say I only had a 2 year warranty on the roof repair and my 12 year warranty is not valid. I now need to find a good repair shop to fix the corrosion.
Thanks
Steve S