Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

can i use the inverter socket ?

starbug

starbug

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
can i use inverter socket when on mains power ? i under stand that it has restricted power . so just low power items ? does anyone do this or do i just put every think in the 240 socket ?

can i use inverter socket when on mains power ? i under stand that it has restricted power . so just low power items ? does anyone do this or do i just put every think in the 240 socket ?
Yes, no problem. The inverter socket is run off the Leisure batteries which would be charged when on EHU, so no problem. Just be aware of the Inverter output on your vehicle and the fact that it is Not a high end pure sine wave output and can mess up some sensitive electronic gadgets or chargers.

Yes, no problem. The inverter socket is run off the Leisure batteries which would be charged when on EHU, so no problem. Just be aware of the Inverter output on your vehicle and the fact that it is Not a high end pure sine wave output and can mess up some sensitive electronic gadgets or chargers.
thanks for the reply. i was going to try a small dehumidifier in it, just need to see what power it needs.

thanks for the reply. i was going to try a small dehumidifier in it, just need to see what power it needs.
I regularly run a 50w 230v Insect repellant in mine on and off EHU.

I ran a small fan once and the inverter, due to the unclean sine wave, messed up the electrics. That was the last of the fan ...

I now use a DC to AC pure sine wave inverter from the kitchen side cigarette lighter socket. Yeah, DC to AC to DC and all that wastage ... But at least I get a pure sine wave ...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just a heads up that the low power dehumidifiers don't work well below 20°C in case you were thinking of using it while the van is parked. I think you'd be ok in a heated van whilst camping; if that's what you were going to try I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

Just a heads up that the low power dehumidifiers don't work well below 20°C in case you were thinking of using it while the van is parked. I think you'd be ok in a heated van whilst camping; if that's what you were going to try I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.
I agree! I have been running a dehumidifier whatever the temperature and found that it ices up when the air temperature drops.

I just have 2 Disposable Dehumidifiers in the van. They still collect water in the winter, but use a different method compared with electrical.

I just have 2 Disposable Dehumidifiers in the van. They still collect water in the winter, but use a different method compared with electrical.
you use the van as a daily driver, may I ask you why do you still need dehumidifiers ? I though driving in winter with A/C on should already solve any humidity in the van issue.
Or do you use them just when camping ?

you use the van as a daily driver, may I ask you why do you still need dehumidifiers ? I though driving in winter with A/C on should already solve any humidity in the van issue.
Or do you use them just when camping ?
I just leave them in. Yes, AC is on all the time, but that only dries incoming air. Getting in with wet coats or shoes increases water load inside van, also temperature drops overnight could cause condensation as dewpoint falls inside the vehicle. Using these canisters keeps the air within at a low humidity level. No internal condensation ever.

I just leave them in. Yes, AC is on all the time, but that only dries incoming air. Getting in with wet coats or shoes increases water load inside van, also temperature drops overnight could cause condensation as dewpoint falls inside the vehicle. Using these canisters keeps the air within at a low humidity level. No internal condensation ever.
mine is bad when the sun has been on it and the the temp suddenly drops . then it gets a light misting on the windscreen. so i got a small dehumidifier and left it in, and so far its working. not tried it when camping yet .its an md900 eco dehumidifier about £30

mine is bad when the sun has been on it and the the temp suddenly drops . then it gets a light misting on the windscreen. so i got a small dehumidifier and left it in, and so far its working. not tried it when camping yet .its an md900 eco dehumidifier about £30
Can I ask.....do you run that from the invertor, or is it 12v?

Are there any decent 12v options?

Can I ask.....do you run that from the invertor, or is it 12v?

Are there any decent 12v options?
its just in the 240v socket at the mo. the van is on hook up. not tried it in the inverter yet . if the inverter hasn't got the correct power does it just not work ??

its just in the 240v socket at the mo. the van is on hook up. not tried it in the inverter yet . if the inverter hasn't got the correct power does it just not work ??
If I have found the correct model then it looks like it only pulls 22w so won't exceed the T6's 150w or the T6.1's 300w inverter. The potential issue is the possibility of the dirty sine wave that is produced damaging delicate electronics. On another thread someone posted a picture of the T6 inverter's sine wave to demonstrate, although I haven't seen anyone do the same with the 300w sine produced from the T6.1 Not sure if the newer one is any cleaner. So just a potential warning about damaging sensitive kit.

If I have found the correct model then it looks like it only pulls 22w so won't exceed the T6's 150w or the T6.1's 300w inverter. The potential issue is the possibility of the dirty sine wave that is produced damaging delicate electronics. On another thread someone posted a picture of the T6 inverter's sine wave to demonstrate, although I haven't seen anyone do the same with the 300w sine produced from the T6.1 Not sure if the newer one is any cleaner. So just a potential warning about damaging sensitive kit.
yes its 22w . hope it don't damage the van or set it on fire . i don't do electrics ,if i change a fuse i use a broom handle to flick the switch lol.

ok. so it been on for a week . it was working ok no misting on screen. but checked today and it had started freezing up. so maybe i need to put it on a timer so its not on 24/7 to give it time to thaw out.

ok. so it been on for a week . it was working ok no misting on screen. but checked today and it had started freezing up. so maybe i need to put it on a timer so its not on 24/7 to give it time to thaw out.
I was thinking of using a timer too. The dehumidifier certainly sucks out a fair amount of moisture but the icing up is a problem. Think I will have it switch off during the night.
I only run it while the van is parked on the drive, not when camping, then it’s heater and ventilation.