Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can we drive to Europe now?

But everyone should really know by now that France and Spain dropped The limits from 90 kph to 80 kph Just set the speed to 80 and everything is cushty..
I bet donald trump doesn't know.
You did say everyone.

We're planning to head off to the continent touring for a couple of weeks. Mrs VD has tasked me to find out which campsite app (covering at least France and Italy, maybe Switz) is "the best" these days. I said the ACSI app, but apparently some reviews say its "filtering is poor" (I didn't even know it made coffee).

If I don't come up with a justified and detailed set of app recommendations by end of this week, I'm Toastville-sur-Mer.

Help! :Nailbiting
We use Campercontact mostly along with Park4Night, both reasonable cost for offline, Campercontact Garmin/TomTom POI download is free

Don’t know about Spain, but France largely competed changing speed signs in September last year, if you subscribe to Cyclops safety cameras or lifetime updates on Garmin they changed quite quickly after they were announced.

We're planning to head off to the continent touring for a couple of weeks. Mrs VD has tasked me to find out which campsite app (covering at least France and Italy, maybe Switz) is "the best" these days. I said the ACSI app, but apparently some reviews say its "filtering is poor" (I didn't even know it made coffee).

If I don't come up with a justified and detailed set of app recommendations by end of this week, I'm Toastville-sur-Mer.

I use the searchforsites app, shows every type of stopover from a pub car park, marina, aire, cl etc up to a full campsite throughout Europe. Can be used in a browser or app, offline, sat nav and route planner. User reviews as well. £5.99 per year.

But everyone should really know by now that France and Spain dropped The limits from 90 kph to 80 kph Just set the speed to 80 and everything is cushty..
But lots got caught out last year Peter.

I find ACSI fine to use and filter. We used the Camping Card version extensively during our tour. The ratings seems pretty spot on too. I seem to recall that we learnt to discard anything with a rating lower than 7.8, or at least approach those campsites with an open mind.

You can do free practice searches here:

I'm wondering about these 'air bridges' mentioned in the past few days.
Looking at the Daily Mail (don't laugh) today, Switzerland is glaringly missing and not mentioned at all. In fact, it's a grey gap in the Europe map (as usual).
So it looks like you'll never, ever, be able to fly here, ever again!
But can you drive in and out? Or can I drive to the UK? Who knows?
Probably just poor reporting by the DM...

I’m looking to do the reverse trip next week, coming from Switzerland to the UK but likely to come by road and channel tunnel to arrive in UK from France rather than flying straight in from Geneva. Aiming to arrive on 4th to maximize probability of relief of quarantine restrictions

Can confirm that France is still there, baguettes aplenty, everyone
happy.
Although there were long queues for ice cream, it looked a long queue but with
the 1,5m distance was probably normal, although the elderly lady behind me
kept wanting to step into my personal space, a couple of prods with my measuring
stick kept her in line.
People wearing masks and distancing was the order.

View attachment 61300
Masks and measuring sticks for a virus that scientifically for 99% is not even serious.. Dear God help me.

Masks and measuring sticks for a virus that scientifically for 99% is not even serious.. Dear God help me.

LOL, if that is your level of 'science' than indeed it might be smart to ask your 'God' for help. :rolleyes:

I’m looking to do the reverse trip next week, coming from Switzerland to the UK but likely to come by road and channel tunnel to arrive in UK from France rather than flying straight in from Geneva. Aiming to arrive on 4th to maximize probability of relief of quarantine restrictions
That would be our plan as well (road and chunnel), but a week or so later.
We had thought about holidaying in the UK (before the crisis hit) for that 2 weeks covering the Welsh coast. This looks like a no-go now even if the quarantine is lifted as everyone else will be doing the same and I don't want to book up already for pitches.
Anyway, @SailSki let me know how it turns out as I'll be interested to learn if feasible!

Just booked tunnel out and back and will take a day or two each way. Interesting thing was that Eurotunnel didn't charge any extra for making the Cali 5.5-8m long or ask about roof boxes so I can include bike and inflatable paddle board on the back and a rigid paddle board on the roof at no extra cost it seems. Only the standard additional 12 quid each way with Frequent Traveller for high Cali rather than standard car under 1.85m. Happy days for travels with toys :)

I find ACSI fine to use and filter. We used the Camping Card version extensively during our tour. The ratings seems pretty spot on too. I seem to recall that we learnt to discard anything with a rating lower than 7.8, or at least approach those campsites with an open mind.

You can do free practice searches here:

Thanks for that and thanks also to Carl and Andy for their intel.

Thanks for that and thanks also to Carl and Andy for their intel.
We have used ACSI for the past 4 years and find the app really good..It’s a lot easier than trawling through the books you get when you sign up with them..Once loaded into the IPad that’s all you need..Dont bother if you are looking for one in the Uk.. But everywhere else it seems most campsites seem to be signed up with them...You need to check the qualifying dates though as some can be a bit hit and miss..And it is meant for off season for the prices quoted..

Are you still planning to arrive on the 4th? Looks like it could be chaos. Also do you think you might get hit by the 14 days quarantine as that seems to be over on the 6th? Maybe you have to stay inside for just 2 days... Switzerland is in the 'amber' list if the DM is anything to go by :rolleyes:

Are you still planning to arrive on the 4th? Looks like it could be chaos. Also do you think you might get hit by the 14 days quarantine as that seems to be over on the 6th? Maybe you have to stay inside for just 2 days... Switzerland is in the 'amber' list if the DM is anything to go by :rolleyes:
Yes i thought that the restrictions were being lifted after the 6th July so that would mean anyone entering the UK before then would have to Quarantine for 14 days with a risk of a £1000 fine if it is broken.

@SailSki - how did it go, if you don't mind me asking?

CDBC9F36-41E9-47DB-8CD3-11AC76786ECA.png
According to the U.K. government website, we still have to self isolate if we go to France. Does living in our own campervan count?

We are planning to go next week to France, our understating is that the quarantine is due to be lifted on the 10th July. The quarantine is only voluntarily but whilst in force you are expected to stay at a given address (so not a van). The UK government certainly
Lifted the mandatory quarantine on entering from France and the French voluntary quarantine was reciprocal. If you want I go through France within 24 hours en route to another EU state, that is fine already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took the ferry on the 30th of June Dover to Calais , 17 hours drive to the Spanish Pyrenees, Customs checked over the Cali and trailer at Dover and we were on our way,
Super Diesel was €1.50 a litre give or take,
€1.03 at litre in the village where we were based
We drove back Friday /Saturday 03.30 ferry at Calais,
No drama at all, not busy,
But out bound at Dover looked busy from what I could see while disembarking,
I guess things are starting to move again.
Cali ran perfect, and trailer with 3 dirt bikes on, towed a dream