Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What should I bring to drive my Cali to Europe?

S

StevenZhang

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi everyone, I plan to go to France next week and then to Switzerland. This is my first time driving to continental Europe. Excuse me, apart from the different sockets, what else is different from uk? Do they also use this hook up?
Thank you so much.
A447E28C-9243-4D6D-B836-A670EBE6A263.jpeg

Hi everyone, I plan to go to France next week and then to Switzerland. This is my first time driving to continental Europe. Excuse me, apart from the different sockets, what else is different from uk? Do they also use this hook up?
Thank you so much.
View attachment 62897
Most camp sits use that combination of plugs/sockets and sometimes need the full 25 m of cable.
French sites often insist on speedo type trunks for men in the swimming pool, eek.
You are rarely allowed to practice your language skills as the staff invariably speak better English than you do.
Enjoy your trip, we are following in September if everything stays the same.

Steven, enjoy the journey.

On camping, In addition to that standard cable, you will need a EURO converter, something like the below

As the mainland is all in kilometers, I use an old mobile phone with a speedometer app to display a speedo digital read out. Takes the guess work out of speed limits.

The only other item will be the headlight beam converter (Halfords have them) or if you have led lights then setting the travel mode on it.

Also, not sure if you are carrying cycles, in which case , I think in Switzerland, you need one of them red and white striped plated hanging at the tail end. Not too sure about this, but do check.
6946e4388d9655ec4a8adcbc3a26dbdf.jpg

Steven, enjoy the journey.

On camping, In addition to that standard cable, you will need a EURO converter, something like the below

As the mainland is all in kilometers, I use an old mobile phone with a speedometer app to display a speedo digital read out. Takes the guess work out of speed limits.

The only other item will be the headlight beam converter (Halfords have them) or if you have led lights then setting the travel mode on it.

Also, not sure if you are carrying cycles, in which case , I think in Switzerland, you need one of them red and white striped plated hanging at the tail end. Not too sure about this, but do check.
6946e4388d9655ec4a8adcbc3a26dbdf.jpg
No striped board needed in CH.

I would contradict the above re language skills. I find that if you exercise just the basic bon jour etc. in France the locals respect your efforts to communicate with them in their language even if that's ail you can manage.

In France be aware of the speed limits! https://about-france.com/highway-code.htm

Useful website for using a motor home in France https://www.motorhomingfrance.co.uk/

Travel Insurance, medical for those travelling, and for the vehicle although if still in warranty VW Assistance will cover.
Original V5c, Car Insurance certificate, Drivers Liscence. Check your car insurance covers for the countries you are visiting. Most do.

A good map to back up Sat nav. We also carry a laminated reminder sheet of road signs especially the yellow priority ones. Yellow high viz in case of breakdown also useful to blend in if you come accross a French demonstration. Speed cameras come in different shapes colours and positions. Breaker bar is useful if you have a puncture. Warning triangle and fire extinguisher in an easily accessible place.

Enjoy your holiday.

Travel Insurance, medical for those travelling, and for the vehicle although if still in warranty VW Assistance will cover.
Original V5c, Car Insurance certificate, Drivers Liscence. Check your car insurance covers for the countries you are visiting. Most do.

To add to that list, EHIC cards are also generally a good idea as your travel insurance may I think stipulate you use them where possible. They can be ordered online and take about a week to arrive (we've just renewed ours) but I realise that may not be possible in your time frame. If so, don't worry about it, and have a great time.

Sorry, straying a bit off topic of hook-up cables and sorry if the above is obvious already.

To add to that list, EHIC cards are also generally a good idea as your travel insurance may I think stipulate you use them where possible. They can be ordered online and take about a week to arrive (we've just renewed ours) but I realise that may not be possible in your time frame. If so, don't worry about it, and have a great time.

Sorry, straying a bit off topic of hook-up cables and sorry if the above is obvious already.
Thank you so much.

Hi viz vests for everyone on board, warning triangle :cool:
RAC or aa web sites give you comprehensive lists

Do you still need the alcohol breath test kit ?

alcohol breath test kit
Hi viz vests for all
warning triangle
spare headlamp bulb(s)

oops sorry - repeated - didn't see recent posts

Hi viz vests for all

And as I recall, French police require you to keep the vests within reach of the occupants, so you can exit the vehicle wearing them if necessary, not stashed somewhere in the boot. Which is completely sensible anyway (ours live permanently under the driver's seat in the Cali).

Breathalizer kits were never compulsory but advised. The French tend to keep theirhi viz vests either on the dash or over the seats so the local law enforcers can see them.

Blimey, all I ever think about is enough food/beer to get us through the first few nights. Fill it with fuel and go.

Back