Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What should I bring to drive my Cali to Europe?

Hi everyone, I plan to go to France next week and then to Switzerland. This is my first time driving to continental Europe. Excuse me, apart from the different sockets, what else is different from uk? Do they also use this hook up?
Thank you so much.
View attachment 62897
We have been locked down since March. Can we understand that movement of people is how this disease spreads. Stay in your own country. Most of Europe has a R of less than one and England and America are way above. If we all put up with this we can start working. No economy will mean social chaos. There isn't a endless fund. The hedge funds are rising through the roof on the back of this. Dont go.

Also beware speed limits. National limit for out-of-town in France was reduced from 90kph to 80kph (56 to 50 mph). Not all road signs have been changed. Not all local authorities enforce.
Some mobile radar checks on the autoroutes north towards the Channel at the end of holiday season for UK motorists who are late for their ferry. Gendarmerie sometimes accompanied by British police officers.
Switzerland - vignette available for cash or card at major crossing points and at numerous outlets around the borders. Do display vignette in correct position, indicated on sticker, as police check with binoculars during the first few miles. The CH vignette is valid for a full calendar year, December to January +1, and allows free transit through most tunnels / passes. Check validity of routes with Swiss government map on line.
Many European countries now operate a special lane clearance for emergency vehicles when the motorway/autoroute/autobahn/autostrada/autoput etc. is blocked - not necessarily the hard shoulder. If in doubt copy the locals.

I would contradict the above re language skills. I find that if you exercise just the basic bon jour etc. in France the locals respect your efforts to communicate with them in their language even if that's ail you can manage.

In France be aware of the speed limits! https://about-france.com/highway-code.htm

Useful website for using a motor home in France https://www.motorhomingfrance.co.uk/
The French are very proud of their language and culture, and rightly so. Generally they don't like English who make zero attempt at even the most basic French words, so learn the basics before you go. try Google Translate and type in a few words and expressions you will use and you will see the French translation. If you read it a few times, it should stick. Once they see you trying to speak the lingo, they will probably reply in damn good English. Just show some respect for their language.

The French are very proud of their language and culture, and rightly so. Generally they don't like English who make zero attempt at even the most basic French words, so learn the basics before you go. try Google Translate and type in a few words and expressions you will use and you will see the French translation. If you read it a few times, it should stick. Once they see you trying to speak the lingo, they will probably reply in damn good English. Just show some respect for their language.
We approach the camp site receptions with the best will in the world, with all phrases and greetings memorised and practised, unfortunately the receptionist then replies in a flurry of french that completely defeats our limited vocabulary or laughably replies sometimes in Dutch, her best guess at our rubbish accent.
Good manners of course ensures we try to use the appropriate vernacular but a 9 country European trip last September/October rendered easy replies in the local language problematic to all except multi linguists.

Mais oui, Rodney Mais oui.
10Del-Boy.jpg

We approach the camp site receptions with the best will in the world, with all phrases and greetings memorised and practised, unfortunately the receptionist then replies in a flurry of french that completely defeats our limited vocabulary or laughably replies sometimes in Dutch, her best guess at our rubbish accent.
Good manners of course ensures we try to use the appropriate vernacular but a 9 country European trip last September/October rendered easy replies in the local language problematic to all except multi linguists.
This problem is usually quite easily solved - 'je ne parle pas Francais bien, pardon' (no, not from Google Translate!) - they will then understand your linguistic limitations.

We arrived in France successfully yesterday, and I was just awakened by the crow of a dedicated rooster.

Back