Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CandMC rules

Many years back, before children I got 'warned' by the Blockwart at Slapton C&CC Site for leaning our bikes against a 3" tree stake 'supporting' the trunk of a 5" tree. It was no sapling.- " That's there to support the tree, not your bikes'.
He was trained in over supervision.
Blockwart gave us the evils for the rest of the week.

Which is getting more and more prevalent on independent sites. The "6 metre" firebreak rule is becoming a serious issue with many where in the past it was quite relaxed.

Last July I had a site manager at a lovely site in Cumbria come over to me just as I was unpacking table and chairs and asked me to move a couple of feet more to the left.

I could not help But ask "why doesn't he just plonk a peg in the ground and ask everyone to park corner to it" :shocked
Don't mention 6m to me.........I let off steam recently at Uig Bay campsite on Skye- we used only as overnight for Tarbert ferry. We'd set up well away from everything and everyone and were cooking meal when all of a sudden noticed a large Merc Sprinter van reversing close to us; so close the driver couldn't open his door to get out! I got out went round other side to speak and found he was actually leaning on my camper while trying to plug his ehu cable in.

I politely asked if he'd mind moving as he was way to close to be safe etc and was invading our privacy and there was loads of room the other side - he simply told me to foxtrot oscar and was staying put!!!! Red rag to a bull, so I stormed off to reception (who looked like they been watching and were waiting for me) - asked politely if they'd mind speaking with him and asking him to move further away and was told "what's your problem"!!!! I kept calm and politely asked them for the telephone number of their insurance company so I could find out what the minimum distance was between units as I was concerned about overcrowding on the site as well........................................... magic!! Within minutes, 2 of them went over and spoke to the guy (who looked like a worker from the pier construction site) and he gruffly moved up the other end of the site - owner then asked if I was happy now!!!!

I should really have read the reviews and found somewhere else or wild camped but with ferry boarding at 8.45 didn't want to be late............

Not sure if these are new rules but just noticed in the latest CandMC magazine that they do not allow Daisy Chain Hook-Up Leads or Hook-Up Cable Splitters.
I have a 25m cable so the daisy chaining rule doesn’t affect me but I know some members have, for example, a 10m and a 15m cable to offer flexibility.
I do have a splitter to afford me a 3-pin mains socket in the awning without running a cable from inside the van. Mind you, have only used this twice.
Anybody seen these restrictions at non CandMC sites?
I have a 10m and a 15m cable. I got told off at the Club site at St Davids. I still do it though and hide the join.

Don't mention 6m to me.........I let off steam recently at Uig Bay campsite on Skye- we used only as overnight for Tarbert ferry. We'd set up well away from everything and everyone and were cooking meal when all of a sudden noticed a large Merc Sprinter van reversing close to us; so close the driver couldn't open his door to get out! I got out went round other side to speak and found he was actually leaning on my camper while trying to plug his ehu cable in.

I politely asked if he'd mind moving as he was way to close to be safe etc and was invading our privacy and there was loads of room the other side - he simply told me to foxtrot oscar and was staying put!!!! Red rag to a bull, so I stormed off to reception (who looked like they been watching and were waiting for me) - asked politely if they'd mind speaking with him and asking him to move further away and was told "what's your problem"!!!! I kept calm and politely asked them for the telephone number of their insurance company so I could find out what the minimum distance was between units as I was concerned about overcrowding on the site as well........................................... magic!! Within minutes, 2 of them went over and spoke to the guy (who looked like a worker from the pier construction site) and he gruffly moved up the other end of the site - owner then asked if I was happy now!!!!

I should really have read the reviews and found somewhere else or wild camped but with ferry boarding at 8.45 didn't want to be late............
Hook up at the CandMC site in Kathmandu :)

View attachment 101256
Excellent photo - looks like almost every street corner in Bangkok.

Yes, a couple of places including the other club. I normally carry 15 and 10 so I have been told off before... or in the case of the warder at Burrs park, Bury got a public dressing down until I less than politely interrupted him to inform him that as a member I could be viewed as both a customer and his employer.
...until I less than politely interrupted him to inform him that as a member I could be viewed as both a customer and his employer.

What was their response to that?

I use pitch-up quite a lot and it's incredible how many sites have the caveat "No continental vans or caravans".
What?! Really? That's bonkers.

So pleased I've not come across that with my California, I'd be tempted to reply with some colourful continental words....because I can....;)

What?! Really? That's bonkers.

So pleased I've not come across that with my California, I'd be tempted to reply with some colourful continental words....because I can....;)
i've never had that before either, but rumour is theres one in Blackpool. but why would you go there anyway ?

...until I less than politely interrupted him to inform him that as a member I could be viewed as both a customer and his employer.

What was their response to that?

The old standby .... "There are rules, can't do anything about that ......"

"Really? A lot of other wardens can, and most independents have the same rules but someone who owns the business is normally a bit wary of upsetting those who help him pay for it ...."

I don't know why u all persist wth these pathetic clubs. Been there,done that, never again. I'm a 50 year old man and an engineer. I don't need telling by hv vest wearing bell ends how to plug in a cable and how to park a van. They do not get my money anymore. And their pathetic tyre pressure mmagazines. Jesus
Which is your go-to app for finding sites? Or do you mainly wild camp?

Which is your go-to app for finding sites? Or do you mainly wild camp?
searchforsites is best in my opinion. shows pubstop overs etc too. i do wild camp yes, more so in winter when it's quieter. i like festivals through summer. no parking rules at those

Last edited:
Which is getting more and more prevalent on independent sites. The "6 metre" firebreak rule is becoming a serious issue with many where in the past it was quite relaxed.

Last July I had a site manager at a lovely site in Cumbria come over to me just as I was unpacking table and chairs and asked me to move a couple of feet more to the left.

I could not help But ask "why doesn't he just plonk a peg in the ground and ask everyone to park corner to it" :shocked
Got a friendly warning about my 'awning' , when I was not on an awning pitch, it was raining too - CMHC Thirsk Race Course. I had a photo of it, can't find it now. I was a long way from the next van. The CMHC HQ said I could use my wind out awing on any pitch.

Found the photo - is this really a hazard?

20220316_173228.jpg

Last edited:
Got a friendly warning about my 'awning' , when I was not on an awning pitch, it was raining too - CMHC Thirsk Race Course. I had a photo of it, can't find it now. I was a long way from the next van. The CMHC HQ said I could use my wind out awing on any pitch.
I understand a wind out awning to be ok on a none awning pitch as its regarded as a sunshade, however you are not allowed to put sides on it & enclose it.

We had this when we were there in May. No 6 metre separation between vans, more like 6 inches! Lots of workmen building the new pier, who appeared at the end of the working day, invading the site And parking wherever they liked.

We had this when we were there in May. No 6 metre separation between vans, more like 6 inches! Lots of workmen building the new pier, who appeared at the end of the working day, invading the site And parking wherever they liked.
Needless to say I gave it a pretty poor rating. I think also it is the new pier site workmen just doing what they like and the owner couldn't care a thing as he's getting cheap money from them with no fuss. I shudder to think what it's likein the summer as those works have been going a little while and months yet to go - Avoid at all costs I think.

I think the Uig campsite gets a lot of business from people catching the ferry to the Outer Hebrides, but the ferries won’t be running until the middle of next year due to the work on the pier head, so he’ll lose a lot of custom. However, this tempered by the fact that the workmen working on the upgrade also stay at his site.

We stayed there twice - on the way out and on the way back from the Hebrides. The first time wasn’t too bad. its on the hard standing bit near the entrance that most people want to park and where the vans get packed in together. If you are happy to park on the grass further up the hill, then the vans will be more spread out.

When we arrived around 4.00 the hardstandings were quite clear but the grass pitches were nearly full so we decided on a pitch furthest away from toilets and everyone else - perhaps with hindsite we should have thought this was odd??

The other thing that annoyed us was dogs had to be on leads (thankfully we didn't have our big lab with us) and yet the owners spaniels were allowed to run wild around the site barking and cr***ing everywhere (which incidentally we didn't see them clear up). I'm glad we hadn't got our dog with us as he'd have been a nightmare with them running round him. We felt sorry for one couple with a lovely docile lab. The spaniels wouldn't leave him alone and yet the park owner was walking past and simply laughed.........................

Whilst having a chuckle at @GrumpyGranddad and his "Hook up at the CandMC site in Kathmandu", I didn't find this particularly amusing last year at the private Findhorn Bay site. Thankfully I was only staying a couple of nights and my hook up was at the edge of the site and rather more 'traditional'.

View attachment 101481
Similar on a site in northern Spain last summer. Cables everywhere and splitters joining splitters and more. All very relaxed.