Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan club - Campers used as tow vehicles

I have got nothing personally against the C&MC we joined 27 years ago but only for one year it was totally different to what it is now and for me at that time to pompous and regimental in my opinion that's why we left and it had nothing to do with not following club rules we just had some bad experiences that our children experienced in the club. I am also a member of the C&CC and have been for 27 years I think there has always been some form of competition between both clubs over the years and that's evident to day in my opinion that is especially when people make statements on this forum which by the way I have been a member since the very first day sorry had to get that one in there lol that's to show I'm not having a go at the C&MC but when people make statements like Here we go again. Hate Caravan and Motorhome Club, all the rules etc. I think the HINT is in the name CLUB. If you don’t like the rules then don’t join the Club. The last time I mention anything about the C&MC which was to answer a question from someone on this forum who was asking for advice on which club to join I put over our experiences with this club as a family which were not pleasant at the time and would definitely not happen now but following my answer a similar post came up about rules and having a go at C&MC and that's why I asked the question of how long you are been in the C&MC as you seemed to have taken it personally.
No competition. I belong to both clubs because they guarantee a standard of site, both main and Certified Locations. They have rules and standards that I accept when I pay my subscription. I’ve had my run ins with overbearing wardens over the years. If we can’t come to a compromise then you can always complain formally but I’ve never had to do that.
But they are what they are, Clubs, that you elect to join. If the rules and regulations aren’t for you then you have 2 options. Leave or campaign to change them with the various local and regional committees.
You mention your unpleasant experiences that your family had. I don’t know what they were and who was at fault, all I can say is that we never had any significant problems with our family of 7 in 15 years + with the Caravan in either club.
But whenever the Caravan & Motorhome Club comes up, for whatever reason we get the same type of posts etc: hence my post which you quoted.
My post referred to the comments in Posts 3,4 & 5. Your first Post was Number 20 & 21. Why you should take it personally I will never know.

To many rules on them sites, I got told off for parking my van side ways!

Did they only charge you for one dog too!

Love the two tone colours of your van.
Agree That's why I cancelled my membership this year. Much prefer free camping in France. Even the Aires have too many rules for me, cant put your awning out etc.

Well it's all change, or no change depending on who you speak to.

Last November the ruling was definite from Grimstead towers .... A tow vehicle could not be used for accommodation purposes so if you wanted to tow a caravan and sleep in the camper then you need to book two pitches.

I gave up arguing the point and even wanting to discuss it, after hitting brick wall after brick wall.

Yesterday I pulled up at a CAMC site with two pitches booked. The warden looked out of the window, saw Alfie pulling Angela, and asked "and who is the other booking for?". When I explained the brick wall I had been banging my head against she shook her head, mentioned she had been with the CAMC a lot longer that many in East Grinstead head office and made a phone call. She met the same brick wall as I had but moved it up a notch.

This morning I was given the glad tidings, and a saving of £95. The ruling is: If parking the Camper less that 6m from the caravan, only one hook-up cable used and gas disconnected, no problem with how the camper is used and no need to book separate pitches.

As far as I am concerned, well done that warden, well done whoever put common sense before an ancient rule book.

Before and after: Newport in April and Cirencester today.

View attachment 34565

View attachment 34566
After forty years of membership with ‘The Caravan Club’ I cancelled my membership a couple of years ago. We are all too well aware that a profit needs to be made but these days it’s just another money generating cash cow. It’s a shame as we as a very young family enjoyed many many happy holidays all around the U.K. but as time went by it could be seen that the writing on the wall became larger as each and every year passed. We are also members of ‘The Camping and Caravan Club’ which tells a different story. More or less spot on for singles, couples and most definitely more welcoming to young families.
Just my two pennyworth.

After forty years of membership with ‘The Caravan Club’ I cancelled my membership a couple of years ago. We are all too well aware that a profit needs to be made but these days it’s just another money generating cash cow. It’s a shame as we as a very young family enjoyed many many happy holidays all around the U.K. but as time went by it could be seen that the writing on the wall became larger as each and every year passed. We are also members of ‘The Camping and Caravan Club’ which tells a different story. More or less spot on for singles, couples and most definitely more welcoming to young families.
Just my two pennyworth.

I belong to both and see merits in both, the common one being a predictable package.

On my own I generally avoid both, prefer a britstop, Aire or a CL/CS but find them useful to pop into and regroup: have a shower, clean everything up, do some washing and back on the road again.

I do like the C&CC though for my "Seniors" discount :D

I belong to both and see merits in both, the common one being a predictable package.

On my own I generally avoid both, prefer a britstop, Aire or a CL/CS but find them useful to pop into and regroup: have a shower, clean everything up, do some washing and back on the road again.

I do like the C&CC though for my "Seniors" discount :D
I see the advantages but as you quite rightly say the ‘Discount’ is a bit of a bonus. We too like the CS’s, a bit more space in my opinion and quieter at our time. We’ll be shooting off to Spain the first weekend in September for a couple of months, some really good never reported on sites to visit and with ACSI a real bonus.

Well it's all change, or no change depending on who you speak to.

Last November the ruling was definite from Grimstead towers .... A tow vehicle could not be used for accommodation purposes so if you wanted to tow a caravan and sleep in the camper then you need to book two pitches.

I gave up arguing the point and even wanting to discuss it, after hitting brick wall after brick wall.

Yesterday I pulled up at a CAMC site with two pitches booked. The warden looked out of the window, saw Alfie pulling Angela, and asked "and who is the other booking for?". When I explained the brick wall I had been banging my head against she shook her head, mentioned she had been with the CAMC a lot longer that many in East Grinstead head office and made a phone call. She met the same brick wall as I had but moved it up a notch.

This morning I was given the glad tidings, and a saving of £95. The ruling is: If parking the Camper less that 6m from the caravan, only one hook-up cable used and gas disconnected, no problem with how the camper is used and no need to book separate pitches.

As far as I am concerned, well done that warden, well done whoever put common sense before an ancient rule book.

Before and after: Newport in April and Cirencester today.

View attachment 34565

View attachment 34566
Thanks for the info.
We've booked 2 club sites for September (Blackhorse & Moreton-in-Marsh) and will be towing our caravan, so it will be interesting to see the reaction.
An ex-warden friend had already advised us to remove the gas cylinder from the Cali but we were not aware of the potential 2 pitchs hassle.
Thanks once again

Thanks for the info.
We've booked 2 club sites for September (Blackhorse & Moreton-in-Marsh) and will be towing our caravan, so it will be interesting to see the reaction.
An ex-warden friend had already advised us to remove the gas cylinder from the Cali but we were not aware of the potential 2 pitchs hassle.
Thanks once again

The verdict from on high was that gas needs to be disconnected, no need to remove the bottle.

In practical terms I just turned it off at the bottle, same as I do for Eurotunnel.

Generally speaking wardens are quite sympathetic and helpful, the problem emanated from a department at Grinstead towers who were being over zealous on application of sleeping units being 6m apart. All happiness now. Having said that one warden did get right up my nose but that was another issue ....

The verdict from on high was that gas needs to be disconnected, no need to remove the bottle.

In practical terms I just turned it off at the bottle, same as I do for Eurotunnel.

Generally speaking wardens are quite sympathetic and helpful, the problem emanated from a department at Grinstead towers who were being over zealous on application of sleeping units being 6m apart. All happiness now. Having said that one warden did get right up my nose but that was another issue ....
Did said Warden survive Intact?

Did said Warden survive Intact?

Timing was perfect.

I went over to reception when I had calmed down and he was in there, so was a few other people, checking in, etc.

"On your advice I will ensure the rear offside of our accommodation units are adjacent to the peg. As they are both continental units and were happily facing each other this does mean we will now be facing, door side, two other, unconnected units. It does not appear sensible to me but you were adamant".

It was eventually resolved amicably with the help of another warden.

Back