Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan club - Campers used as tow vehicles

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Well it's all change, or no change depending on who you speak to.

Last November the ruling was definite from Grimstead towers .... A tow vehicle could not be used for accommodation purposes so if you wanted to tow a caravan and sleep in the camper then you need to book two pitches.

I gave up arguing the point and even wanting to discuss it, after hitting brick wall after brick wall.

Yesterday I pulled up at a CAMC site with two pitches booked. The warden looked out of the window, saw Alfie pulling Angela, and asked "and who is the other booking for?". When I explained the brick wall I had been banging my head against she shook her head, mentioned she had been with the CAMC a lot longer that many in East Grinstead head office and made a phone call. She met the same brick wall as I had but moved it up a notch.

This morning I was given the glad tidings, and a saving of £95. The ruling is: If parking the Camper less that 6m from the caravan, only one hook-up cable used and gas disconnected, no problem with how the camper is used and no need to book separate pitches.

As far as I am concerned, well done that warden, well done whoever put common sense before an ancient rule book.

Before and after: Newport in April and Cirencester today.

tredegar3.jpg

cirencester1.jpg

One hook up cable and both vans connected.

What mate ???
Yes the gas is turned off :thumb:thumb:thumb

Well it's all change, or no change depending on who you speak to.

Last November the ruling was definite from Grimstead towers .... A tow vehicle could not be used for accommodation purposes so if you wanted to tow a caravan and sleep in the camper then you need to book two pitches.

I gave up arguing the point and even wanting to discuss it, after hitting brick wall after brick wall.

Yesterday I pulled up at a CAMC site with two pitches booked. The warden looked out of the window, saw Alfie pulling Angela, and asked "and who is the other booking for?". When I explained the brick wall I had been banging my head against she shook her head, mentioned she had been with the CAMC a lot longer that many in East Grinstead head office and made a phone call. She met the same brick wall as I had but moved it up a notch.

This morning I was given the glad tidings, and a saving of £95. The ruling is: If parking the Camper less that 6m from the caravan, only one hook-up cable used and gas disconnected, no problem with how the camper is used and no need to book separate pitches.

As far as I am concerned, well done that warden, well done whoever put common sense before an ancient rule book.

Before and after: Newport in April and Cirencester today.

View attachment 34565

View attachment 34566
To many rules on them sites, I got told off for parking my van side ways!

Did they only charge you for one dog too!

Love the two tone colours of your van.

The more I hear about this lot the gladder I am I did not join, and I luckily have not found any issues with C&CC site people ..
well done for poking a stick in that cage!

We joined the Caravan Club and found that most people book upto a year in advance even if they don't want the pitch and then cancel the night before meaning many sites will appear full but its just selfish people booking with little intention of staying. We then managed to find a site to test water and were so put off by the rule signs everywhere and the Hitler wardens that made sure we were pitched inch prefect, when we got home we cancelled under the colling off period and got a full refund.

We enjoy our stays at CAMC, glad common sense prevailed Jen. :thumb We are at Cirencester next month for RIAT air show.

Nice drive-away awning!
jen.jpg

Here we go again.
Hate Caravan and Motorhome Club, all the rules etc.
I think the HINT is in the name CLUB.

If you don’t like the rules then don’t join the Club.

I’m glad you are sorted GrannyJen. Sense at last.

We joined the Caravan Club and found that most people book upto a year in advance even if they don't want the pitch and then cancel the night before meaning many sites will appear full but its just selfish people booking with little intention of staying. We then managed to find a site to test water and were so put off by the rule signs everywhere and the Hitler wardens that made sure we were pitched inch prefect, when we got home we cancelled under the colling off period and got a full refund.
They can only do that 3 times in 1 yr then they get suspended and lose the ability to make forward bookings.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-ho...-to-book-a-site/cancellations-and-amendments/

Having previously been tenters and caravanners with the Camping and Caravanning Club, we love the more relaxed feeling with the Caravan and Motorhome Club. We have always understood the 6m rule (not sure if everyone is still anal about his) due to fire regs and, having seen tents/vans go up in smoke, understand the rule completely. Nice that GJ has been able to pitch up with her sister, but I would not expect every C&MC site to do this, if they are following their rule books. Like someone said above, if you join the club and agree to the rules, we should be happy to abide by them. I much prefer the C&MC to commercial sites, where the neighbours are often less considerate. My favourite locations are always CLs though. No facilities = nicer campers usually.

The more I hear about this lot the gladder I am I did not join, and I luckily have not found any issues with C&CC site people ..
well done for poking a stick in that cage!

On this particular issue .... c&cc are even more intransigent. I've given them up for totally lost.

Here we go again.

I’m glad you are sorted GrannyJen. Sense at last.

I agree with this post wholeheartedly, and it's not often I agree to WG to that extent!

They have rules. For £51 per year, less than £1 per week, you sign in to those rules.

You don't have to worry about them: they are clearly stated, only represent 240 sites in the Uk out of around 4,000 other licensed sites, have certain characteristics that may not appeal to many. ...... when Grinstead applied the rules to me , well , that's fine, I think it is a load of obsolete crud left over from when caravans had gas mantles and were fire traps and had people sat around the camp fire and singing ging- gang-gooly-gooly etc....

I was happy enough this week to consider paying for two pitches to be worthwhile, why I booked. To have a warden take my side, see the ludicrous application of those rules and to know where to go to appeal for common sense, a bonus.

Other benefits of my membership? The M6 toll discount has paid for it already, the ferry price that I got to travel to Calais at three days notice was having a laugh and quite honestly, having been on a 4 star welsh campsite for the last four days, to not to have to wait for a shower, have a clean, modern sanitary block, not have neighbours obnoxiously close.... I know the rules, I make my choices, don't moan if you don't like it, just don't use it.

Last edited:
I agree with this post wholeheartedly, and it's not often I agree to WG to that extent!

They have rules. For £51 per year, less than £1 per week, you sign in to those rules.

You don't have to worry about them: they are clearly stated, only represent 240 sites in the Uk out of around 4,000 other licensed sites, have certain characteristics that may not appeal to many. ...... when Grinstead applied the rules to me , well , that's fine, I think it is a load of obsolete crud left over from when caravans had gas mantles and were fire traps and had people sat around the camp fire and singing ging- gang-gooly-gooly etc....

I was happy enough this week to consider paying for two pitches to be worthwhile, why I booked. To have a warden take my side, see the ludicrous application of those rules and to know where to go to appeal for common sense, a bonus.

Other benefits of my membership? The M6 toll discount has paid for it already, the ferry price that I got to travel to Calais at three days notice was having a laugh and quite honestly, having been on a 4 star welsh campsite for the last four days, to not to have to wait for a shower, have a clean, modern sanitary block, not have neighbours obnoxiously close.... I know the rules, I make my choices, don't moan if you don't like it, just don't use it.
Now we've moved to Wales, and every journey we seem to make takes us via the M6 toll, we too have probably saved more than the price of our membership just by the toll discount this year. We love the C&MC club sites and CLs. Worth every penny.

Now we've moved to Wales, and every journey we seem to make takes us via the M6 toll, we too have probably saved more than the price of our membership just by the toll discount this year. We love the C&MC club sites and CLs. Worth every penny.

I like the predictability. You know the commodity you are buying, unlike many other camp sites such as the one we have just left. The"Clean modern sanitary block" was just that, but two toilets and two showers for arounds 50 units, the "outstanding views" were outstanding if you stopped on one of the non-electric camping fields otherwise I had a panoramic view of the cow shed and adjoining slurry tank whilst the "spacious pitches" just about fitted our Eriba :shocked

Having previously been tenters and caravanners with the Camping and Caravanning Club, we love the more relaxed feeling with the Caravan and Motorhome Club. We have always understood the 6m rule (not sure if everyone is still anal about his) due to fire regs and, having seen tents/vans go up in smoke, understand the rule completely. Nice that GJ has been able to pitch up with her sister, but I would not expect every C&MC site to do this, if they are following their rule books. Like someone said above, if you join the club and agree to the rules, we should be happy to abide by them. I much prefer the C&MC to commercial sites, where the neighbours are often less considerate. My favourite locations are always CLs though. No facilities = nicer campers usually.

I have now a name at East Grinstead should I have problems elsewhere but to be honest elsewhere, as in Newport and Burrs park previously, the problem has been explaining to the wardens why I have booked two pitches.

Cirencester is interesting: they have a photograph of a recent caravan fire, 15 minutes to burn the van down to a shell and flame spread was 3.5 metres. Frightening.

The principle though is gas disconnected and no cooking, something that I fully intend to respect. As the person at head office stated, if we applied the rules globally the same way it has been applied in this case then every awning will also have to be 6 metres away as it would be impossible to police every site to ensure that no one cooked or slept in them.

You could save that toll road money even quicker by not using it ;) ;)

That said 50mph on the regular M6 is very good for the MPG, got 42mpg average last time we went away ;)

That said 50mph on the regular M6 is very good for the MPG, got 42mpg average last time we went away ;)
I used to spend Monday mornings and Friday afternoons crawling the M6 through Birmingham, I'll never get those hours/days back. It's the toll road for me every time.

Recent trip to Scotland, miles of 30mph going up and M6 closed coming back!

God, I've had dreams about reaching the heady heights of 50mph on that road. Having commuted from Cambridgeshire to Chester for 17.5 years to look after the parents, I can honestly say that if I never have to see the M6 or A14 again it'll be too soon. The roadworks to upgrade to smart motorway don't help at the moment either. I begrudge paying the toll charge, but I can't tell you how many hours/days of my life I have wasted and will never get back being sat on those 2 particular roads. Thank goodness for audiobooks!

Here we go again.

Have you been in the caravan and motorhome club long

Last edited by a moderator:
We've also been members of the C&MC for many years, firstly with caravans and now Cali. Yes there are rules, but the sites suit us. Glad GrannyJen found sense at the Cirencester site - we stayed there last Christmas and loved it!

Been a member for 30 years, last 5 towing with the Cali.
Never had a problem with both on the same pitch.

I have got nothing personally against the C&MC we joined 27 years ago but only for one year it was totally different to what it is now and for me at that time to pompous and regimental in my opinion that's why we left and it had nothing to do with not following club rules we just had some bad experiences that our children experienced in the club. I am also a member of the C&CC and have been for 27 years I think there has always been some form of competition between both clubs over the years and that's evident to day in my opinion that is especially when people make statements on this forum which by the way I have been a member since the very first day sorry had to get that one in there lol that's to show I'm not having a go at the C&MC but when people make statements like Here we go again. Hate Caravan and Motorhome Club, all the rules etc. I think the HINT is in the name CLUB. If you don’t like the rules then don’t join the Club. The last time I mention anything about the C&MC which was to answer a question from someone on this forum who was asking for advice on which club to join I put over our experiences with this club as a family which were not pleasant at the time and would definitely not happen now but following my answer a similar post came up about rules and having a go at C&MC and that's why I asked the question of how long you are been in the C&MC as you seemed to have taken it personally.

Been a member for 30 years, last 5 towing with the Cali.
Never had a problem with both on the same pitch.

I first became a member of the CC in 1990. It was an extraordinary time, a discovery towing a caravan and a motorhome travelling independently, all part of a support team for people walking Lands End to John O'Groats for a charitable campaign.

The CC were magnificent, offered us support all along the way, and the 6 metre rule was totally ignored.

I then rejoined in 2000 having returned from the USA and noticed a difference. There was no longer judgement, only rules, but then I was towing a caravan with a range rover and had no issues.

When my sister decided that she wanted a caravan, and wanted to come with me,last November, I enquired over the rules, having been a forum member of "Club together" for years, and noticed the increasingly reliance on the 1906 rule book by Grinstead towers. There lies the saga. The totally unequivocal NO to sleeping in the towing vehicle.

My memory was of the past. However the more I read the rules, the more I argued over the stupidity of the application, the response from Grimstead towers became more intransigent.

Finally at Burrs park in March a warden said "Why two bookings?". I explained, she rang Grimstead towers, had the brick wall. It was foul weather, I was only there for two nights, just leave it.

This time the warden, who was clearly pissed off with some of the attitudes by staff at head office, would not leave it.

Back