Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carista

Scotclimb

Scotclimb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I was about to buy the carista to carry out a dpf regen and use it as needed for any future jobs on my van. I’ve read on here some folks says it’s compatible with the t5 but both carista website and Amazon say it’s not. Can anyone advise if this is the case. I have a 2008 se 174. Thanks in advance

814AD8DD-A276-409D-ACEF-674C9464D339.png

I was about to buy the carista to carry out a dpf regen and use it as needed for any future jobs on my van. I’ve read on here some folks says it’s compatible with the t5 but both carista website and Amazon say it’s not. Can anyone advise if this is the case. I have a 2008 se 174. Thanks in advance

View attachment 87354
Unfortunately, it seems it will not - as per the carista website ( see image)

Is there anyone near you with vcds? Check on the t6 forum and I am sure someone will be willing to help.
30d12e8d9edcb463f813089cfb7227fa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

But, being a bit cheeky, all vans built after 2004 were required to be OBD2 compliant. Get the reader , try it and if it does not work, return it to Amazon.

The app does allow you to use it for 2 weeks free.

I'm a bit shocked at the cost. The gadget is one thing but to do practically anything you need to pay the high subscription fees for the app.

But, being a bit cheeky, all vans built after 2004 were required to be OBD2 compliant. Get the reader , try it and if it does not work, return it to Amazon.

The app does allow you to use it for 2 weeks free.

I suppose it’s worth a try. Is tgere any others similar which work with a phone app? I’d go for vcds but I’m pretty sure I then need a laptop. Thanks for your reply

I'm a bit shocked at the cost. The gadget is one thing but to do practically anything you need to pay the high subscription fees for the app.
Most of the initial mods users do, can be achieved during the free first month. After that cancel the subscription and then keep the unit for emergencies and you'll happily pay for it when you need it.

It does come with the first month free. I’m hoping to do a dpf regen as my soot levels are at 57%. It’s either that or take the plunge and buy a new dpf, are they easy to install. Just like a section of an exhaust?? Thanks for your reply

Most of the initial mods users do, can be achieved during the free first month. After that cancel the subscription and then keep the unit for emergencies and you'll happily pay for it when you need it.
I am keen on getting the carista, I was hoping someone with a similar age cali has one and it’s compatible. Thanks

I am keen on getting the carista, I was hoping someone with a similar age cali has one and it’s compatible. Thanks
Try the Carscanner app. I’ve found it better than the actual Carista app and a lot of stuff you can do free where on the carista you can’t. With the FULL paid subscription Carscanner app you can do a lot more and it’s very reasonably priced and very reliable.

Last time I used mine it had an update for 'use on older vehicles' but as I've a T6 no idea about earlier T5.
Annual charge is a bit much but... the way that everything electronic seems to be going.

Last time I used mine it had an update for 'use on older vehicles' but as I've a T6 no idea about earlier T5.
Annual charge is a bit much but... the way that everything electronic seems to be going.
Thanks. I am tempted to give it a go.

Thanks. I am tempted to give it a go.
If it connects I would be very surprised if it would start a DPF region on an older vehicle as that function is a fairly recent addition. It might work.

Just for information:-
Tried to instigate a DPF Regeneration using my Carista dongle earlier this week but it came up with an error message saying that communication with the vehicle had failed. Strange because running a diagnosis was working.
Anyway, had the option when the regen’ failure message came up to send a report to Carista which I did.
They responded and said that I should try starting the regen’ with the bonnet open and then drive at the required revs for 15-20 minutes.
So, tried it again today and sure enough it worked.

Tried to instigate a DPF Regeneration using my Carista dongle earlier this week but it came up with an error message saying that communication with the vehicle had failed. Strange because running a diagnosis was working.
Anyway, had the option when the regen’ failure message came up to send a report to Carista which I did.
They responded and said that I should try starting the regen’ with the bonnet open and then drive at the required revs for 15-20 minutes.
Not sure if this a T6.1 specific thing GG, but Will mentions in this video that the bonnet needs to be open to make any changes with Carista. Odd eh?

Bit odd yes. Bit inconvenient for a DPF Regen too.

On a 6.1 the ECU has new security protection to prevent programming unless the bonnet is open, but once you have instigated the regen you then need to close the bonnet for it to complete.

Might be as simple as VW setting this parameter to ensure that the vehicle is parked (although speedo would do that) in a service mode.

Definitely no need on T6.

On a 6.1 the ECU has new security protection to prevent programming unless the bonnet is open, but once you have instigated the regen you then need to close the bonnet for it to complete.
Yes. Here’s what Carista advised:

Please initiate the regeneration in the app while still stationery with hood opened and engine working. Then close the hood and start driving for 10-15 minutes above 60 km/h (40 mph) while keeping engine RPMs around 2000-2500.

Noticed a selectable feature called ‘Tachometer Highlight Mode’. I don’t intend to enable it but just wondered what it was? Anybody know? a Google search didn’t really help.

Observation.
After the successful DPF Regeneration using my Carista, I noticed a red flag in the WeConnect App. It was in the ‘Vehicle Health Report’ under ‘Drive’ and said that a DPF Regeneration was required.
Just to advise, it clears after driving a few miles.

Plugged in my Carista today to diagnose any faults prior to a forthcoming workshop visit. It is now only showing the attached options in the Customise menu!? I have a current subscription. Can anybody advise?

1F364D28-6BAA-4791-B252-30E7764B6C75.png

Plugged in my Carista today to diagnose any faults prior to a forthcoming workshop visit. It is now only showing the attached options in the Customise menu!? I have a current subscription. Can anybody advise?

View attachment 96375
OK maybe user error?!
I opened and closed the bonnet and plugged the Carista dongle in with the ignition already on.
Hey Presto, all OK with full set of Customisations available.
Not sure which of the above was the key but suspect the latter.

OK maybe user error?!
I opened and closed the bonnet and plugged the Carista dongle in with the ignition already on.
Hey Presto, all OK with full set of Customisations available.
Not sure which of the above was the key but suspect the latter.
The Carista helpdesk got back to me (after i’d solved the issue) and suggested that I open and close the bonnet. So if you have a similar problem with Carista, try that.

Try the Carscanner app. I’ve found it better than the actual Carista app and a lot of stuff you can do free where on the carista you can’t. With the FULL paid subscription Carscanner app you can do a lot more and it’s very reasonably priced and very reliable.
Interesting app, but cannot find VW T6 - what setting are you using? - thank you.