Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carplay - What Mic?

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Firstly sorry if this is a stupid question.

I've got a MY Ocean with Bluetooth. When connecting my phone to Carplay (via cable) i've started finding that my voice is not being picked up when using any voice features including taking calls or trying to use siri. Using the phone unconnected is fine.

So i'm wondering what mic is being used when connected to CarPlay, is it the phone or is there a mic built into the cali that would be used when on Carplay?

I'm asking as I've never had an issue in the past, however a recent warranty issue meant my roof liner was replaced and control panel removed so wondering if something has become or was left disconnected.

Thanks

Mmmmm Just found a old pic taken in the cali and low and behold there is a the mic above my head.

So it seems the dealer when replacing the roof liner decided not to put another back in :mad:

It is (sorry was) the same mic used when just connected via Bluetooth (no cables). Remind us why they replaced the roof liner so we can begin to speculate at how they could have missed the microphone.

The van went it to have a wonky roof fixed......in the process of doing that they cause a hydraulic fluid leak which stained the roof liner.

Just hoping its something they can fit after the fact and does not come fitted to liner.

The van went it to have a wonky roof fixed......in the process of doing that they cause a hydraulic fluid leak which stained the roof liner.

Just hoping its something they can fit after the fact and does not come fitted to liner.

Hi @Jason wallace the roof linings all come built To one pattern and have to be modified in the workshop for the various configurations of different vehicles your dealer obviously was not paying attention when they replaced the lining and did not cut the hole for your mic. Obviously the mic loom will still be there as it’s part of the factory loom but if your dealer has thrown away your old lining then they will have to pay for a new mic and securing piece. Sorry to here of your troubles.

It amazes me how useless VW Dealers are.
They’re not alone. You ought to read some of the comments on the Marco Polo Forum. They seem to have similar problems and they are sold through the Car Dealerships.

I get the feeling the dealer doesn't believe me, as in his opinion 'I can't see how our technician would have missed that.

So as well as digging out the old liner, which they apparently have to keep for 90 days, he also wants me to send the before and after pics i have.

I've got my first Oil service coming up soon, can anyone guess which dealer i WON'T be going to for that.

I suspect the microphone is still attached but just above the headlining now, which is why your voice is muffled to the other party..
I've got my first Oil service coming up soon, can anyone guess which dealer i WON'T be going to for that.

I got a call from Heritage yesterday..
"Hello, we are calling because your California is 2 years old and now requires and air conditioning service"
"Really?" I said, "There is no such thing as as air conditioning service!"
"oh okay" she replied and rang off

Really! are they that desperate!

I suspect the microphone is still attached but just above the headlining now, which is why your voice is muffled to the other party..

"Hello, we are calling because your California is 2 years old and now requires and air conditioning service"

Had mine done at 2 years. Vacuum evacuation of circuit and a replacement charge of Refrigerant and Lubricant and Sterilisation of System. Check of Climatic Function Front Rear L & R. Examination of Compressor drive.

Had mine done at 2 years. Vacuum evacuation of circuit and a replacement charge of Refrigerant and Lubricant and Sterilisation of System. Check of Climatic Function Front Rear L & R. Examination of Compressor drive.
But it’s a closed system, as long as it hasn’t leaked out, why would they touch it... sounds like work for the sake of it to me...

But it’s a closed system, as long as it hasn’t leaked out, why would they touch it... sounds like work for the sake of it to me...
Unlike a domestic refrigerator the vehicle AC compressor is not a hermetic sealed unit, the external drive belt system requires seals to prevent leakage of the gas, unfortunately these seals are not perfect and some leakage depending on usage is inevitable over time. Two years for a complete replacement of gas/lubricant etc sounds somewhat premature but Welsh Gas does do over 20,000 miles a year so that could be a factor.

Unlike a domestic refrigerator the vehicle AC compressor is not a hermetic sealed unit, the external drive belt system requires seals to prevent leakage of the gas, unfortunately these seals are not perfect and some leakage depending on usage is inevitable over time. Two years for a complete replacement of gas/lubricant etc sounds somewhat premature but Welsh Gas does do over 20,000 miles a year so that could be a factor.
I thought they were variable swashplate pumps so no shaft leakage was possible? But also if that were the case why not just wait until the gas has escaped as just replacing the gas doesn't replace the worn seal in your example?? (obviously any leak even caused by a crack does need to be addressed quickly as you would lose your lubrication)

BTW. I'm not arguing, just need convincing, with Scientific or engineering fact.

Last edited:
I thought they were variable swashplate pumps so no shaft leakage was possible? But also if that were the case why not just wait until the gas has escaped as just replacing the gas doesn't replace the worn seal in your example?? (obviously any leak even caused by a crack does need to be addressed quickly as you would lose your lubrication)

BTW. I'm not arguing, just need convincing, with Scientific or engineering fact.
This is the best I can find.

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/why-should-i-service-my-car-air-conditioner.htm

Not convinced, I'll just wait until vcds shows up a warning of low pressure then get it done, otherwise this is just the industry generating itself more work.
Also I just looked at the VW workshop maintenance manual and service schedules and there is no work required on the AC system apart from checking that it remembers the last setting you had it on.
Plus the pollen filter is taken care of in the inspection service interval.

Not quite VW, but Skoda offered us an aircon service on one of our previous cars...

They scared my wife into having it done with talk of "micro organisms" and "unpelasant odours".

They overfilled the system and caused damage to the compressor. After lots of aggrevation the garage agreed that they'd caused the issue and replaced it.

Lesson learned. If the system keeps you cool I'd say it's best left alone. :)

It amazes me how useless VW Dealers are.
Whilst I agree,,,,,,
Go and look on other car forums and it's sadly a common complaint, a running theme.
In this day and age I would have thought lessons would have been learned but there is wide spread lack of care and expertise when you hand over your pride and joy. It doesn't really matter that a Cali goes back to commercial dealers. I have had Range Rovers and BMW's similar complaints arise.

That’s strange because I had mine done at two years. It may not be in the service schedule but it is mentioned in the handbook.

BBC90D4D-6EEB-4B0F-9726-43187A0BD7C3.jpeg 14053757-B648-4EF1-91CF-14479C9743A6.jpeg Just replacing a head lining in a beach today and took a couple of photos for you as you can see the new head lining does not come with a hole for the mic and must be modified in the workshop.

Thanks.

Still waiting for my dealer to confirm they’ve got the parts. But the did accept there was supposed to be a mic there and also had a an apology from the technician who forgot to fit and put the mic back.