Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrying a motorbike

Thanks both of you yes it is a great one, i bought it for myself in germany, let it transported to the netherlands an fully seviced it because it is 26 years old but as new! New battery, brakes, tyres, chain, oil, etc etc. It costed me 3000 euros but i wil sell for 2500. You can drive it perfectly with two
WOW fantastic

I regularly carry a motorbike on the back of my Cali and I use a Dave Cooper Van rack
http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks
I have a factory fit removable tow bar for which I bought a conversion piece for to effectively turn a swan neck into a regular tow bar.

The rack is really light and the bike I most often use is 85kg. However one of my other bikes is around 120kg and this set up functions well. I seriously cannot tell the bike is on there.
Hey Gavin
Where did you buy this conversation piece for the factory detachable towbar??

They come up on eBay frequently & I went to test a (very good) Chinese clone a few years ago underneath some railway arches in Battersea somewhere.

Also referred to as DAX and/or Monkey bike. Honda Zoomer is closest more recent equivalent, but only 50cc & no good for two.

All of this kind of stuff has gone wild in value as kids of the 70s and 80s come into their 'some disposable income, but not daft money' phase - the Yamaha FS1E and Raleigh Burner being prime examples!

Last edited:
You are right. If you consider to buy one, buy as original and well maintaines and low mileage if possible. They will be very reliable. Chinese .....hmmmmm. There a a lot daxes rebuilded, made faster, etc. The monkey is also 50cc and for one person. You also take into account to buy new tyres, batterie, vork oil, engine oil, good maintenance checkup, etc, they will give you a lot of pleasure.

They come up on eBay frequently & I went to test a (very good) Chinese clone a few years ago underneath some railway arches in Battersea somewhere.

Also referred to as DAX and/or Monkey bike. Honda Zoomer is closest more recent equivalent, but only 50cc & no good for two.

All of this kind of stuff has gone wild in value as kids of the 70s and 80s come into their 'some disposable income, but not daft money' phase - the Yamaha FS1E and Raleigh Burner being prime examples!
Yep I had a fs1e 50cc
It was my first road bike, all my pals had dt 50s and new stuff, mine was old in comparison a 1974 compared to 80s bikes but it left theres for dead with a top speed of around 45mph and at 16 yrs old that was fast !!!!
Never had a burner though
They was too mainstream, and in the days of my bmxing the burners were a bit naff..heavy and a bit catalogue.
But that said there fetching stupid money your quite right obviously it's the old school that's selling them :) not how good they were

I had a Suzuki TS50ER & my pals had DTs in various states of ‘tuning’. The kid with the burgundy Fizzy always left us behind in a cloud of small stones...

Prior to that I had a Grifter, may well have been heavier :D

I had a Suzuki TS50ER & my pals had DTs in various states of ‘tuning’. The kid with the burgundy Fizzy always left us behind in a cloud of small stones...

Prior to that I had a Grifter, may well have been heavier :D
Ha ha made me smile that :)
Great times clouds of stones and two stroke ha ha ..

Yes that was quick it stays in the netherlands, people where very happy ! Regards frank

as usual you miserable serious boring gets. just stick the bike on there.

no. I am a vegan

The threads carrying a motorbike.

Tow bar mounted. Extra side supports welded to cross member.
Been all over France. Stable as a stable thing.
Bike weight 90k.

Extra doughnut spacer above rear springs fitted to correct ride height sag.

4126A9EC-F7FE-4A69-944A-3D47DC4D9362.jpeg

Next year, love to take my baby with us, but way too heavy!Coolpix May 2016 006.JPG

You could make a Cali rack for the Beemer?

Back