Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrying petrol in the Cali

Andrew Beale

Andrew Beale

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi, I am hoping to take my inflatable dinghy, + 5hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard motor + petrol tank in the Cali.

I have always taken these without problem in my car, but always get that inevitable petrol smell left behind, which is livable-with in a car, but less so in a Cali that is also your sleeping accommodation.

Does anyone have any solutions for carrying an outboard motor and petrol tank in a Cali without that petrol smell leaking out into the van ?

Hi, I am hoping to take my inflatable dinghy, + 5hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard motor + petrol tank in the Cali.

I have always taken these without problem in my car, but always get that inevitable petrol smell left behind, which is livable-with in a car, but less so in a Cali that is also your sleeping accommodation.

Does anyone have any solutions for carrying an outboard motor and petrol tank in a Cali without that petrol smell leaking out into the van ?
Trailer or maybe strap it to a bike rack.

If you have a towbar, it will be easy, just buy a luggage rack, and strap the boat, engine and fuel to it, Bac Rak and Thule make them, if you haven’t got a tow bar, maybe a mask..

60CBB7C9-C1E2-4121-8E10-30931268D98B.png

A5D1332E-9463-44C0-A391-C99A1FBA0D16.jpeg

Many thanks to both Grumpy and Jandy, I hadn't heard of Bac Rak before so the info is very useful indeed.

I carry 10 litres of unleaded in my van - metal jerry can and you can't smell it. Plastic petrol cans breathe.

Thank you Bob, that is most helpful, I didn't know there was a difference between metal and plastic cans.
Andrew

Huge difference, think mine was one of these. When sleeping, my nose is only a couple of feet away from it and can't smell anything.
You do have to be careful filling and decanting it as the splashes will stink.

Back