Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordered a petrol Cali

A

Adjohnsy

With all the bad new about diesels over the past year I thought it was stupid to go out and buy a Cali that could possibly have a very short shelf life, it looks like many towns will soon be banning diesels over the next few years and I think these bans and surcharges are only going to expand to other areas meaning I would be limited to where I could go in my Cali. I also plan to keep mine long term and who knows what the situation will be like in 2026?

So I did LOADS of research and ordered a California Coast petrol from the Netherlands, I not only have the benefit of a petrol Cali but I have also saved around £10,000 ( taking int account any charges) also the best thing about the Coast is it has a manual roof - why would anyone want the electric roof /so much to go wrong?? Oh yes, I have just had a build date of week 4 which I am really happy about as I did not expect to see it until spring.

Whilst doing my research I also realised how much the UK is ripped off as the Cali in Europe is generally around 15% cheaper than the UK as standard.

Obviously the only negative is it being LHD, however we spend 90% of our holidays on the continent anyway and the T4 California lads have never even had the option of RHD.

Thats exactly what i would go for IF i swapped at this present time.
A Coast with a petrol engine ....
At witch dealer did you signed the deal? As i was under the impression the petrol Cali is not availeble in the Netherlands?

Welcome on your first post btw. ;)

Last edited:
Euro6 diesels pollute less than the petrol version. AdBlue reduces NOx to almost nothing and the CO2 output is much less from diesel engine than petrol. The take up by media and green party has taken the discussion to farcical level. My petrol transporter is lucky to get 26mph My Cali does 40 plus.

I would certainly buy a petrol Cali if it was available in the UK

Euro6 diesels pollute less than the petrol version. AdBlue reduces NOx to almost nothing and the CO2 output is much less from diesel engine than petrol. The take up by media and green party has taken the discussion to farcical level. My petrol transporter is lucky to get 26mph My Cali does 40 plus.
I am sure you mean mpg. Trouble with g & h being next to each other.....:D I agree about your farcical comment. Are city Mayors really expecting all delivery trucks and vans, lorries, busses, cars, taxis etc that are currently diesel powered to be converted (to what?) or renewed with something with an alternative technology in the next eight years...I am not sure what land of cuckoo they live in.

Edit: Sorry @Adjohnsy , I meant to say a warm welcome.
. (apologies for my wrong priorities).

Last edited:

The new VW TSI petrol engines are becoming more and more fuel efficeint and don't forget petrol is always cheaper at the pumps

I am sure you mean mpg. Trouble with g & h being next to each other.....:D I agree about your farcical comment. Are city Mayors really expecting all delivery trucks and vans, lorries, busses, cars, taxis etc that are currently diesel powered to be converted (to what?) or renewed with something with an alternative technology in the next eight years...I am not sure what land of cuckoo they live in.

I don't think he is talking so much about being banned but more costs for entering a city with a diesel vehicle, for example the London congestion zone is now £11.50 and increasing by around 8% per year, if we do the maths this could be very expensive in 2026 and it will probably work its way outside of the M25 soon!

I agree not many of us will want to go into London in our Cali's but I can see this starting to spread to many other towns soon as I know places like Portsmouth and Southampton are considering a congestion charge.

The newest Caravelle TSI does officially 31 mpg and outputs 210 CO2 g /km. The diesel 150 PS manual does 46 mpg and outputs 161 CO2g/km. I am just stating facts rather than taking sides.
I have discussed this with top engineers who all state that the reality is diesels are more efficient and pollute less with the Euro6 engine and if you want to be green you require plug in electric or hydrogen fuelled vehicles. They also pointed out the pollution required to generate the electricity and battery issues. Disagree but if you face facts there is no easy answer and petrol is not the answer

As for congestion charging that is another story entirely!

I don't think he is talking so much about being banned but more costs for entering a city with a diesel vehicle, for example the London congestion zone is now £11.50 and increasing by around 8% per year, if we do the maths this could be very expensive in 2026 and it will probably work its way outside of the M25 soon!

I agree not many of us will want to go into London in our Cali's but I can see this starting to spread to many other towns soon as I know places like Portsmouth and Southampton are considering a congestion charge.
I agree but I think we should separate Banning Diesels and Congestion Charges - They are separate issues. It just maybe convenient for the politicians to put the two together.

Been playing with the Belgian configurator .
I need at least 65.000€ for a coast petrol engine and not took that much xtras but did take 4motion
Knowing my 2012 SE was 49.950€ (no 4motion)when i bought it as a stockmodel/showroommodel (0 km)
Better start saving:Nailbiting

Regarding diesel vs. petrol , we all been pushed to buy a diesel the last 15y and now they are banned everywhere. My 2012 can not enter Antwerp afther 2025!
Germany : umweltplakke , France : Paris is staring also with a emmision zone!
But that all is off-topic here , it is all about @Adjohnsy his Coast...:D on here

Edit: if i start of with a Ocean and hit about the same options i need 66.500€

Last edited:
Welcome @Adjohnsy – and congrats with your new "home". I am sure you will be happy, regardless Diesel or Petrol ;-)

In Denmark (among most other contries in Europe) Diesel is 10-20% cheeper than Petrol*. You will save around € 20 each time you fill the Diesel tank (70L) compared to Petrol. And the TDI has about 40% longer range pr. filling (70L)*. The TSI has a around 60% more emission (polluting) than the TDI*.

Roughly it's € 35 extra per 1.000 km to drive the TSI.

There are so many things happening regarding emission, rules, hybrids, etc., none can tell what is a fact in 3-5 or even 10 years. Its assumptions and guessing. A lot can happen – but things mostly happen slower that we think (or want). My guess is that we move towards more restriction on one side, and better tech on the other side. And that it will be most unlikely that cars a banned just because they are driving Diesel on the short term – if Diesel would be banned, it would be most likely they where first drawn from the marked. Diesel is still the main energy source for commercial transportation.

For myself I would hope things would move faster towards a more sustainable platform. And I would love my next Cali to be a hybrid.

*Source: VW and CircleK

Last edited:
Emissions apart one of the main reasons I would still go for a diesel is that imo they are much more relaxing to drive. We regularly do six to seven hundred miles a day and I can't see that being as easy in a petrol where there is not as much torque. I'd be very interested to see what a petrol Cali is like to drive.

Emissions apart one of the main reasons I would still go for a diesel is that imo they are much more relaxing to drive. We regularly do six to seven hundred miles a day and I can't see that being as easy in a petrol where there is not as much torque. I'd be very interested to see what a petrol Cali is like to drive.

I was actually wondering, according to VW the 204 DSG TDI and TSI have the same torque (150) … Is that new for the T6 engines?

I was actually wondering, according to VW the 204 DSG TDI and TSI have the same torque (150) … Is that new for the T6 engines?

Yes but where abouts in the rev range is it produced?. Usually diesels produce maximum torque low down in the rev range whereas petrol are usually mid to high range. The low down torque is what makes it more relaxing to drive. Possibly the newer turbocharged petrols are better now. What it really needs is a supercharger.

Yes but where abouts in the rev range is it produced?. Usually diesels produce maximum torque low down in the rev range whereas petrol are usually mid to high range. The low down torque is what makes it more relaxing to drive. Possibly the newer turbocharged petrols are better now. What it really needs is a supercharger.

You are right. And I was to fast - and was mislead by the kW and did not look at the Nm. The strength is a lot more from the bottom in the TDI. So nothing new under the sun:

Skærmbillede 2016-12-06 21.07.18.png Skærmbillede 2016-12-06 21.07.29.png

If more was done to improve traffic flow efficiency through built up areas rather than 'trendy' speed bumps & chicanes. Pollution would be greatly reduced.
A rough rule of thumb that I applied when I operated HGV's was that a red light took 1.5 litres of fuel to get moving again.

I had a 2.0L 140bhp diesel Touran and just swapped it for a 1.4L 150bhp TSI Golf SV. Although the TSI is more powerful it's nowhere near as driveable in the real world. In my opinion a TSI Cali wouldn't be a flexible drive unless it's 250bhp plus.

I had a 2.0L 140bhp diesel Touran and just swapped it for a 1.4L 150bhp TSI Golf SV. Although the TSI is more powerful it's nowhere near as driveable in the real world. In my opinion a TSI Cali wouldn't be a flexible drive unless it's 250bhp plus.

The petrol Cali is not 1,4l but 2.0l but offcoarse heavyer;)
There's a 110kw/150bhp and a 150kw /204bhp choice

Last edited:
The big difference lies in the Torque output which is the driveability factor.
Moving 3 tonnes takes a lot of Torque. Only those who have the petrol option can do a true comparison but until I can personally test the two options I remain in favour of Diesel.

The petrol Cali is not 1,4l but 2.0l but offcoarse heavyer;)
There's a 110kw/150bhp and a 150kw /204bhp choice
I had assumed it was a larger and a more torqy engine that the 1.4 but it I reckon it would need to be 2.5L plus to have the same driveability as the 150 diesel, The economy and emissions would be awful.

The big difference lies in the Torque output which is the driveability factor.
Moving 3 tonnes takes a lot of Torque. Only those who have the petrol option can do a true comparison but until I can personally test the two options I remain in favour of Diesel.
Me too

Back