Castor Check?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

I assume somebody here has had a decent suspension alignment done on their bus?

Did you take note of how the castor is measured?

I fully understand what it is and theoretically how it's measured but practically, I'm curious.

Looking through the official VW literature it gives plenty of figures including measuring vehicle static rake (front/rear ride height alterations change the rake and thus castor) before hand but it gives no suggestion or special tool to provide that datum face that represents the line through both upper and lower ball joint.

I'm hoping/assuming there is a face cast into the hub/upright that is parallel to the castor line to measure off?

Obvs I'm looking at this on my 4 but i'd be interested to know how it's done on the 5.

Discuss.

I have always measured castor by putting a castor gauge on the wheel face then turning the steering on a turnplate through a fixed angle - around 20 deg from memory. The key is equal either side or you get a pull but the absolute figure never that critical in my experience.

Ah yes. Makes sense. That’s essentially how the four wheel laser system works it out, the difference being the mirrors mounted on the wheel track a laser.

I was just curious if there was a static method.