Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help required on how to buy please

MelanieW1

MelanieW1

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

I'm just starting out with looking at second hand Cali's - I'm off to see a couple next week via private sellers. Clearly this is a very expensive purchase for me and I'm not sure how to pay. I'm driving quite a distance so can only really make one trip to each seller, so what to do? Assuming I go through the checklist and decide it's the one for me how do I pay? Do I take a bankers draft prepared the day before say, to the sum of my best offer (and some cash to top up if required) or do I try to do a chaps payment on the day but I understand this is not an immediate transaction and would require a fair degree of trust. For example I'd be agreeing a transfer, then hanging around for potentially quite a few hours (the bank simply states same day transaction) and hope the seller is honest and doesn't just run off with my money. What would you suggest? Thanks, M

Hi Melanie, I can't advise re how best to pay but I am just checking to make sure you have done some homework on Calis. It is great you are looking to purchase one of these great vehicles but please read up on potential issues before you buy ( roofs and engines are expensive to fix/replace), especially with private sellers as you will have less recourse if things go wrong. Happy hunting.

Make two trips. One to check it out, at least a day or two to sleep on it, check out the integrity of the seller, do the hpi checks, insurance quotes, call your friendly man at VW and get a print out of factory build sheet, servicing, warranty claims etc. Then arrange a bank transfer (allowing often more than a day for money laundering clearance) and pick it up. Sorry, but trying to do it all in one trip** is not a good idea imho unless you're a professional dealer.

**Buying a £3k hatchback yes, but a £30k to £50k Cali? No thanks. ;)

Thank you Max-Felix and LarryLamb - very sensible advice. I am avidly reading through posts on the various forums and researching re the t5 models. Agree - plan to do the HPI checks etc and researching insurance etc. Fortunately I have a hubby who is good with tech car stuff so that side is up to him. I plan to allow plenty of time on our day trips out so we can take ourselves off somewhere to ponder / calmly discuss away from the seller. I'm looking at 'vans with some VW warranty left (2014 or younger) which I hope gives me some come back should anything go wrong.

I'm looking at 'vans with some VW warranty left (2014 or younger) which I hope gives me some come back should anything go wrong.

Really good thinking - get six months if you can as it gives a lot of peace of mind.

Welcome , try to meet up with a forum member in your nearby , ask him to show you the pointers on his Cali and where to look out for.
Taking someone with you who know the Cali would be even better...
In general they are solid verhicles and as you say you are looking for a T5 with some warrenty left you are at least assured a bit.
Try and read some posts on other members expirence on buying 2nd hand.
Maybe we can soon "official" welcome a new Cali on the forum:thumb

Have you looked if any are on the market on the for sale section on the forum?

I'd also agree you should plan on a viewing & a separate collection - with Californias being a little scarce I think it's easy to get carried away & rush into it forgetting your 'red lines' on price, age or spec.

I put my T5 conversion on eBay, a couple drove up (3-hours) to view it on a Sunday & we agreed a price. He then did a bank transfer in the week & came back on the train to collect - albeit taking a chance I'd not gone to Brazil on his dosh in the interval ...

Most people are very honest, but there's always some risk on both sides & that's partly the reason that approved-used dealer vehicles (my preference) attract a premium.

When I was looking to buy a T6 I found many private used sellers had unrealistic price expectations & were asking dealer money without that trade safety net.

Try to enjoy it though & don't worry, the right one will come along.

I think I've found my 'van! It's a 2014 Se Bluemotion 140 Tdi. Via a VW dealer which makes me feel safer. 12 month warranty. Have put down a deposit.... We go and see it / collect if happy next week. #excited :)

Oh and its Olympian Blue...

Excellent news, well done, you'll pay a bit more of course but no price on peace of mind. :). Any pics?

Very nice, but them biased as it's a similar model to mine. Happy travels!

I think I've found my 'van! It's a 2014 Se Bluemotion 140 Tdi. Via a VW dealer which makes me feel safer. 12 month warranty. Have put down a deposit.... We go and see it / collect if happy next week. #excited :)

Oh and its Olympian Blue...
Congratulations Melanie,
That looks like a cracker. I wish you many happy adventures.

Well done! He looks lovely (I’m presuming it's a ‘he’...:))

I love that Olympian Blue, mine is Acapulco Blue, but the darker blues are lovely.

Your excitement will only get worse :), particularly when you finally bring hime home! Enjoy!!

Oh how exciting! Nice not to have to wait months and months for it, like some of us had to (though we were pretty lucky actually, only waiting 2 months!). Enjoy!

Looks fabulous - lovely colour. How many more sleeps until collection?

Looks great, you can't help but enjoy getting out and about in a Cali, let the adventures begin.

Well sone MelanieW1.
After the excitement of taking delivery, comes the excitement of actually using it, planning adventures, exploring and then buying accessories! #excitementoverload! Enjoy!

Back