Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ceramic paint (and interior) protection

66tim99

66tim99

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just ordered my first new vehicle ever. I'm 46 and live in London so don't need a car, but in these crazy times absolutely DO need a California 6.1 in Ascot Grey.
I intend keeping the van for many years, but wonder what you think about the value of investing in paint protection when new, to make light work of cleaning a light colour, make the paint sing and protect it from the elements, and perhaps added perk to its resale value? Internally I know Cali's are prone to marks (I've spec'd the wood floor, but not eg. leather seats), so the interior protection might mean I opt out of ugly/fiddly/less comfortable seat covers?

It costs £695 for a large new car, inside and out at this place:

Silver Package - our most popular ceramic protection package
5 year warranty*

Preparation & treatment
– Detailed Pro vehicle wash
– Rinse and snow foam pre-wash
– Paint decontamination using iron out
– Body wash with PH neutral shampoo and grit guard two bucket system
– Clay bar used to remove bonded contaminates from paintwork
– Wheels cleaned with acid-free alloy wheel cleaner
– Blow-dry and wiped down with premium thick microfibre towel
– 2 stage machine polish
– Interior vacuumed and dusted, glass are cleaned
– Final inspection to meet our high standards

Ceramic Pro products used / no. of layers
– finishing polish with Ceramic Pro Nano Polish
– 1 layer installation of CERAMIC PRO 9H on the exterior. Additional layers of Ceramic Pro 9H are £200 each.
– 1 layer of Ceramic Pro Light as a top coat
– ALL windows coated with Ceramic Pro Rain
– Wheels (outside) coated with Ceramic Pro 9H

Small car: from £595
Medium car: from £625
Large car: from £675
XL/Supercar: from £695

Best to do it when new I presume? Is it worth it? Are there better value places?

Penny for your thoughts.

Curious about this also... I am awaiting a new vehicle and intend to keep it for a good while (10 years or so all being well). In particular I'm interested if anyone has experience of ceramic coating degradation over time - do you end up having another expensive job to get rid or recoat later on? The pics I've seen of new ones look outstanding!

I do not know of these products. But looks a fair price. It can be done cheaper yourself.

As with many things like this, there are a number of questions/considerations.....

Who is the warranty with? What limitations/exclusions are attached with the warranty? There are often requirements for coating maintenance in order to maintain the warranty period.

Seek out real examples of their work. Are the owners happy. What do the reviews say? Are the reviews genuine.

Yes is practical to have this done on new vehicle, as should be undamaged and the amount of vehicle prep should be reduced. Although vehicle prep should be achieved to the same standard before any coating is applied anyway.

I think negligible impact on resell value. But should make your job of cleaning a lot easier.

Going back to my first points. Any coating will degrade with time, so important that you understand that ongoing coating maintenance is essential.

Last edited:
Hi 66Tim99, Ceramic coating certainly gives an amazing shine but won’t stop stone chips, tar spots, etc so I wonder if it’s really as good as the hype?
Surely a good clean and wax a few times a year will keep your Cali in fine condition and Scotchguard spray for the interior is a cheap DIY job.

Is it worth it?
Unless you buy two identical vans and have only one treated then subject them both to identical use, I guess you'll never know. Further more I doubt if there's anyone on this forum that can say for definite either. I had all three of my vans to date treated at the dealers with Autoglym's Lifeshine treatment. Was it worth it? Who knows!

I confess that I'm no expert but the way I see it is that these treatments may well be beneficial but could just as easily be little more than over priced 'Snake oil'. At best they may protect the paintwork for a period of time but at worst it may amount to just an expensive wash and polish.

Curious about this also... I am awaiting a new vehicle and intend to keep it for a good while (10 years or so all being well). In particular I'm interested if anyone has experience of ceramic coating degradation over time - do you end up having another expensive job to get rid or recoat later on? The pics I've seen of new ones look outstanding!
Just called Woodstock. They recommend an annual maintenance re-finishing the top coat with them (of course) but he said if its garaged you might do this every 2 years, and you can buy the spray and do it yourself for £60. If you do this the original ceramic coating should last 10 years. You don't notice the ceramic degradation really - it wont be as shiny or bead the water off as well - but it doesn't 'peel off' or need to be removed, just needs reapplying.
Woodstock also said they need the vehicle for 3 days for the silver package above. Needs to be spotlessly clean and dry, and then when the coat is applied it needs to harden for a day without being used... sounds like a premium service.

Just called Woodstock. They recommend an annual maintenance re-finishing the top coat with them (of course) but he said if its garaged you might do this every 2 years, and you can buy the spray and do it yourself for £60. If you do this the original ceramic coating should last 10 years. You don't notice the ceramic degradation really - it wont be as shiny or bead the water off as well - but it doesn't 'peel off' or need to be removed, just needs reapplying.
Woodstock also said they need the vehicle for 3 days for the silver package above. Needs to be spotlessly clean and dry, and then when the coat is applied it needs to harden for a day without being used... sounds like a premium service.
Yeah that sounds like a similar amount of time to other places I've found offered the service. Just wrestling with the expense really, especially given that I'm trying to adopt a relaxed attitude to dirt & wear on the van (it is for fun after all and my kids are 6&4!)

Is it worth it?
Unless you buy two identical vans and have only one treated then subject them both to identical use, I guess you'll never know. Further more I doubt if there's anyone on this forum that can say for definite either. I had all three of my vans to date treated at the dealers with Autoglym's Lifeshine treatment. Was it worth it? Who knows!

I confess that I'm no expert but the way I see it is that these treatments may well be beneficial but could just as easily be little more than over priced 'Snake oil'. At best they may protect the paintwork for a period of time but at worst it may amount to just an expensive wash and polish.
Thanks I'll ask the dealer about Autoglym. I see local firms offering it for less than ceramic - £350 here:

Dealer should go down to £299 for treating both inside and outside in my experience.

Yeah that sounds like a similar amount of time to other places I've found offered the service. Just wrestling with the expense really, especially given that I'm trying to adopt a relaxed attitude to dirt & wear on the van (it is for fun after all and my kids are 6&4!)
My daughter's 11 so I'm a bit less concerned about her jammy hands. But for me this is instead of spending £800 on metallic paint (AND includes the interior) and looking after what for me is a massive investment. Every time I approach the van I'm hoping for a good feeling that it looks great, and will continue to...

Dealer should go down to £299 for treating both inside and outside in my experience.
Would save me £400, and I see has a lifetime warranty. Does make me think ceramic might be a bit emperors new clothes...

Thats a lot of money for just an external coating. You can buy the treatment yourself & do it for a fraction of the cost.

With young children your biggest risk is to the interior. Which if Iv'e read it correctly they are just hoovering & cleaning the windows!

I bought Brandrup second skin covers for our van. If you didn't know they were there you wouldn't think they were seat covers, but give you the option to take them off & put them in the washing machine.

We had someone being travel sick on our rear seat, it took a couple of minutes to take the cover off & put it in a sealed bag to deal with later at that point the cover was worth its weight in gold.

The picture I posted in the other thread shows a partial view of the rear bench with a cover on & the rearmost 5th seat without.
1602847158459.png

Thats a lot of money for just an external coating. You can buy the treatment yourself & do it for a fraction of the cost.

With young children your biggest risk is to the interior. Which if Iv'e read it correctly they are just hoovering & cleaning the windows!

I bought Brandrup second skin covers for our van. If you didn't know they were there you wouldn't think they were seat covers, but give you the option to take them off & put them in the washing machine.

We had someone being travel sick on our rear seat, it took a couple of minutes to take the cover off & put it in a sealed bag to deal with later at that point the cover was worth its weight in gold.

The picture I posted in the other thread shows a partial view of the rear bench with a cover on & the rearmost 5th seat without.
View attachment 67899
c.Euro750 for the covers is expensive but they look great, and sounds like they saved your seats at least once... of course you can keep spending!

Ceramic is expensive and gets good reports. Replaces previous polishing only method.

Usually cheaper to go direct to Valet service as Dealer takes a cut/commission.

Can be done on a DIY basis but a big job and materials not cheap.

If in the open all year in London the protection cost seems justifiable.

Had mine ceramic coated, interior protection, glass coating and wheel protection done about three years ago. Cost £1,000, so not cheap but they had the van three days and they use the trade use only GTechNiq products (there are consumer GTechNiq products as well, but not the same as the trade stuff). The guy is based in Stevenage and normally works on Mclarens, Ferraris etc. It had a mirror finish when it left the workshop.

1602858436433.png

After three years of use and storage outside in the elements, I'd say the following:

- Body Protection. Still incredibly easy to clean and get a beautiful finish. The paint doesn't bead as much nowadays, but it's overdue a top up. No scratches or chips.
- Wheel Protection. This is one of the best bits. Just hit with a jet wash and there is hardly any brake dust residue engrained in the wheels. It would probably be zero residue if I'd cleaned them a bit more frequently.
- Seat Fabric Protection (plus carpets). Excellent. I have the alcantara interior and they are still spotless. We are only two adults (no kids or dogs) so probably not been abused as much as others, but still very impressed. Any dirt just comes straight off.
- Glass protection. I had this exterior coating to the windscreen. Initially fantastic, no need for wipers even when raining (quite surreal). However, one stone later, shattered screen and now it's gone. Not worth it for this reason.
- PPF Film on the boot lip. Invisible to see and prevented all scratches from putting stuff in / out of the boot. I should have got it fitted to the bonnet too for added peace of mind (even though it's fine)

Also, check the warranty. The GTechNiq products are the top end products with a 9 year warranty against swirl marks and scratches, BUT they say you need a yearly check up to keep the warranty. The dealer himself said this was a bit of a way to get people to have the occasional top up work done, so I've not bothered with it. Instead I rely on the quality of the product and their confidence to offer 9 years warranty in the first place that it will be good enough.

So, the big question.....do I think it's worth it? Well, yes. Being a black/silver van, keeping it clean is always going to be a bit of work. This makes it much easier. I had a black T5.1 before this one and I tried to detail that one myself....really took care and tried my best, but the difference in finish is night and day. Also, it didn't last even 4 months before needing to be re-done.

My son got his new car AutoGym treated by the dealer at roughly the same time I got my van done. It cost him £300, maybe £350 (bodywork only). It lasted a year, but has significantly diminished in comparison to my coating, to the point where you can't really tell it's been done now.

All in all, the question of value is subjective. Many people will think I'm crazy for spending a grand on this, but it's my money and I don't regret spending it. I never have a need to do anything but a standard wash and leather down...takes less than an hour. I do use a foam gun when it's particularly dirty to dislodge the grit first, but that's just fun to do!!

Ceramic is expensive and gets good reports. Replaces previous polishing only method.

Usually cheaper to go direct to Valet service as Dealer takes a cut/commission.

Can be done on a DIY basis but a big job and materials not cheap.

If in the open all year in London the protection cost seems justifiable.
Thanks - mine will be garaged in London, but I'm edging towards being convinced its worth it. Spend the money on it rather than metallic paint...and still have years worth of check-ups over a 2-tone paint job (£2800!)

Had mine ceramic coated, interior protection, glass coating and wheel protection done about three years ago. Cost £1,000, so not cheap but they had the van three days and they use the trade use only GTechNiq products (there are consumer GTechNiq products as well, but not the same as the trade stuff). The guy is based in Stevenage and normally works on Mclarens, Ferraris etc. It had a mirror finish when it left the workshop.

View attachment 67902

After three years of use and storage outside in the elements, I'd say the following:

- Body Protection. Still incredibly easy to clean and get a beautiful finish. The paint doesn't bead as much nowadays, but it's overdue a top up. No scratches or chips.
- Wheel Protection. This is one of the best bits. Just hit with a jet wash and there is hardly any brake dust residue engrained in the wheels. It would probably be zero residue if I'd cleaned them a bit more frequently.
- Seat Fabric Protection (plus carpets). Excellent. I have the alcantara interior and they are still spotless. We are only two adults (no kids or dogs) so probably not been abused as much as others, but still very impressed. Any dirt just comes straight off.
- Glass protection. I had this exterior coating to the windscreen. Initially fantastic, no need for wipers even when raining (quite surreal). However, one stone later, shattered screen and now it's gone. Not worth it for this reason.
- PPF Film on the boot lip. Invisible to see and prevented all scratches from putting stuff in / out of the boot. I should have got it fitted to the bonnet too for added peace of mind (even though it's fine)

Also, check the warranty. The GTechNiq products are the top end products with a 9 year warranty against swirl marks and scratches, BUT they say you need a yearly check up to keep the warranty. The dealer himself said this was a bit of a way to get people to have the occasional top up work done, so I've not bothered with it. Instead I rely on the quality of the product and their confidence to offer 9 years warranty in the first place that it will be good enough.

So, the big question.....do I think it's worth it? Well, yes. Being a black/silver van, keeping it clean is always going to be a bit of work. This makes it much easier. I had a black T5.1 before this one and I tried to detail that one myself....really took care and tried my best, but the difference in finish is night and day. Also, it didn't last even 4 months before needing to be re-done.

My son got his new car AutoGym treated by the dealer at roughly the same time I got my van done. It cost him £300, maybe £350 (bodywork only). It lasted a year, but has significantly diminished in comparison to my coating, to the point where you can't really tell it's been done now.

All in all, the question of value is subjective. Many people will think I'm crazy for spending a grand on this, but it's my money and I don't regret spending it. I never have a need to do anything but a standard wash and leather down...takes less than an hour. I do use a foam gun when it's particularly dirty to dislodge the grit first, but that's just fun to do!!
Looks tremendous Moakesy. Good to hear its still giving back 3 years later, where the Autoglym has had its day. Ceramic pro is £700 rather than a grand, but I wonder how it compares in performance to GTechNiq.

View attachment 67902

That looks absolutely mint.

Looks tremendous Moakesy. Good to hear its still giving back 3 years later, where the Autoglym has had its day. Ceramic pro is £700 rather than a grand, but I wonder how it compares in performance to GTechNiq.
Found some before and after photos I took earlier this year when washing it. This was back around February time, so the coating was 2.5 years old.

used the foam gun first, then bucket and sponge, rinse and leather. Takes about an hour...

ED02854B-C369-4988-A82E-5A9C0289005C.jpeg

Excellent. Thanks for all the detail. IMHO it looks worth spending the money on if you want to keep it looking nice without spending ages doing so, especially for me who will keep my van outside next to a main road. Now I've just got to decide on whether my philosophy is going to be that, or whether to try & go with the flow! I've kind of embraced the 'lived in' look with my current estate but as my first van - and first brand new vehicle - I'm struggling!!

Had mine done from new nearly 4 years ago. Researched local detailers and after meeting the guy who did mine and visiting his workshop had it done with the GtechNiq trade products.
All I’ve ever done since is wash it and dry it and it looks like it’s come out of the showroom.

If you get it done from new don’t let the dealership touch it as all they are likely to do is make it worse.

As for dealership products I wouldn’t bother. Products may be ok but it’s all in the prep and application.

In general and I accept there may be exceptions dealers sell vehicles and have little or no expertise with detailing.

I would not hesitate in getting it done again.

The rule with mine is if I haven’t got time to wash it properly myself it doesn’t get done. Because I’ve been so busy I left it for a year without washing and after a wash the other day it came up like new with little effort.

Mike

View attachment 67902

Had mine done from new nearly 4 years ago. Researched local detailers and after meeting the guy who did mine and visiting his workshop had it done with the GtechNiq trade products.
All I’ve ever done since is wash it and dry it and it looks like it’s come out of the showroom.

If you get it done from new don’t let the dealership touch it as all they are likely to do is make it worse.

As for dealership products I wouldn’t bother. Products may be ok but it’s all in the prep and application.

In general and I accept there may be exceptions dealers sell vehicles and have little or no expertise with detailing.

I would not hesitate in getting it done again.

The rule with mine is if I haven’t got time to wash it properly myself it doesn’t get done. Because I’ve been so busy I left it for a year without washing and after a wash the other day it came up like new with little effort.

Mike
More grist to the mill Mike. You don't miss the cash when its gone, but you do appreciate the easy gleam :)

I can support the love for the Gtechniq products.
In the last few years I’ve machine polished and coated my vehicles.
Cali was done earlier this year and isn’t looking to shabby for 2008 plate.
24DD4581-C664-40CE-9A1E-0FE58E2B53E3.jpeg
Washing it now is a breeze, and the wheels take no effort.

It can be done as a DIY job, but understand getting the pro’s in too.
Go for it, you’ll even smile when you go out to the Cali in the rain, the hydrophobic nature of the finish is fab.

Mike
THIS !
Don’t even let them wash it.

Ceramic wise Gtechniq seem to get good reviews. Most detailers charge quite a bit, because they usually do a full machine polish and paint correction before applying it.

Also, ceramic won’t protect it as much as you might imagine, you should still learn how to wash it properly.

Spent weeks considering this and I will do it myself, most dealers will offer Autoglym Lifeshine for £399. Unfortunately twice I have not had it applied! and had to complain and get a very realistic discount. Lifeshine chemicals are available on eBay for £30 probably the ones that don't get applied! It is good stuff and the fabric protector is just a spray on.

Just retired so I have had a lot of time researching. Most detailers will use a five step process, Wash, clay, de-iron, machine polish, then ceramic. This process is for used cars. Not too sure if a new car needs claying or de-iron.

I have got my ceramic after lots of research and the winner here and across the pond is CarPro Cquartz 3.0UK. Testing shows peeps are getting 2 years protection with a maintenance coat every 6 months. I bought a large 50ml kit for £56 and it is widely available in the UK.

As for your original question yes get it done, Lifeshine used to work well for me... if applied!
Cost yes expensive but if the detailer is good there is a lot of work involved, obviously you have London premium as well.
Why am I doing it myself, my daughter's partner is a severe petrolhead and I have access to a network of quality car nuts who would be willing to do the work for the cost of a takeaway or two.

Post some pictures once done.

as well.carpro-cquk-3-50ml-cquartz-uk-edition-w-reload-50ml-kit-cquk-457x594.jpg

Back