Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Change to Gaslow (LPG)

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

I planned for a while to get the standard propane gas bottles exchanged for a LPG refillable system. I was hoping to get those advantages:
  • No more exchange of gas bottles in Ireland
  • Easy and more flexible refill of gas bottles in Ireland
  • Easy and more flexible refill of gas bottles abroad
Important to me is the more flexible refill of gas, I can treat the gas refill like a refill of diesel or AdBlue.

Hier are some pictures of the new setup:

The Gaslow bottles in the cabinet.
I decided to go for Gaslow because communication with the company was very good.

1647105309324.png

The Truma regulator and everything from VW stays in the camper. Connection is the same. Added was a pipe from one bottle to the next and a pipe going out to the filler point.

1647105332613.png

Gauge of the left bottle.
I believe the gauge supposed to be quite accurate.

1647105369347.png

Right gauge

1647105383766.png

Outside filler point.

1647105405607.png

A set of different adapters which should be good to fill up gas in the rest of Europe

1647105426281.png

The cost for the change was £ 636.00 (including vat and the set of adapters). The work was done from a company in Northern Ireland. I searched long to find a company in ROI to do the installation but there was nobody able or willing to even look into it. Why I don't know. If you are interested about the company who did the work just send me a PM.

Is it worth all the money? Well, for me I think it is. As mentioned I like the flexibility. Also now I don't have to handle heavy bottles anymore. In general (at least in the past) the gas is cheaper refilling the bottles. I might break even in 5 years. Also I believe it adds value to the camper, in case I need (want) to sell it in the future.

Regards,
Eberhard

This might be a silly question, but what's the black hose going into the right hand side of the regulator for?

I understand the need for both bottles to be connected together otherwise they would need filling separately, but they then both feed into the left side of the regulator and I would have expected to see the right side capped off.

Did you consider underslung tanks? Having looked under mine today there appears to be a lot of space underneath & it would free up space the cupboard.

Hello,

I planned for a while to get the standard propane gas bottles exchanged for a LPG refillable system. I was hoping to get those advantages:
  • No more exchange of gas bottles in Ireland
  • Easy and more flexible refill of gas bottles in Ireland
  • Easy and more flexible refill of gas bottles abroad
Important to me is the more flexible refill of gas, I can treat the gas refill like a refill of diesel or AdBlue.

Hier are some pictures of the new setup:

The Gaslow bottles in the cabinet.
I decided to go for Gaslow because communication with the company was very good.

View attachment 90317

The Truma regulator and everything from VW stays in the camper. Connection is the same. Added was a pipe from one bottle to the next and a pipe going out to the filler point.

View attachment 90318

Gauge of the left bottle.
I believe the gauge supposed to be quite accurate.

View attachment 90319

Right gauge

View attachment 90320

Outside filler point.

View attachment 90321

A set of different adapters which should be good to fill up gas in the rest of Europe

View attachment 90322

The cost for the change was £ 636.00 (including vat and the set of adapters). The work was done from a company in Northern Ireland. I searched long to find a company in ROI to do the installation but there was nobody able or willing to even look into it. Why I don't know. If you are interested about the company who did the work just send me a PM.

Is it worth all the money? Well, for me I think it is. As mentioned I like the flexibility. Also now I don't have to handle heavy bottles anymore. In general (at least in the past) the gas is cheaper refilling the bottles. I might break even in 5 years. Also I believe it adds value to the camper, in case I need (want) to sell it in the future.

Regards,
Eberhard
Well done Eberhard, you won’t regret it no matter what the cost much less fagging about especially when in europe as I know you do. Did you not have a BBQ outlet installed at the same time.

This might be a silly question, but what's the black hose going into the right hand side of the regulator for?

I understand the need for both bottles to be connected together otherwise they would need filling separately, but they then both feed into the left side of the regulator and I would have expected to see the right side capped off.

Did you consider underslung tanks? Having looked under mine today there appears to be a lot of space underneath & it would free up space the cupboard.

Hello,

The "black" hose is one of the two "pig tails" that connect the bottles to the regulator. It can be used as before "regulator to the left" left bottle, "regulator to the right" right bottle or "regulator in the middle" for both bottles at the same time.

Yes I thought about this, but I wanted it as straight forward as possible with as little changes to the camper as possible. Also I believed to understood that the underslung tank is a bit more expensive.

Regards,
Eberhard

Well done Eberhard, you won’t regret it no matter what the cost much less fagging about especially when in europe as I know you do. Did you not have a BBQ outlet installed at the same time.

Hello,

No, just the gas bottles.

We got the Cadac Safari Chef, that is enough for us.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back