Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underslung LPG tank ??

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,
I am new to this site and actually do not own a Cali YET!

Can anyone tell me if there is room under the Cali to fit an LPG gas tank with an external filler and connect it up to the gas cooker removing the need for gas bottle storage? also making life easier (and less expensive) for filling when on the continent. These tanks can also come with an LED gas level gauge.

Regards

Annik

I can't see the point really. all that work just to fuel the cooker. I have had a gas bottle in for nearly a year they last for ages. The gas bottle fits in the centre of the fresh water tank taking up no room at all

I would also say why we remain on our 1st gas bottle after almost a year also you may have issue with vw if you need to claim on any faults on your van

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, Yeah I suppose the cost/warranty issues may not be worth the hassle, Its just I have heard of larger Motorhomes doing this but I suppose they run a lot more appliances. Just doing loads of research just now as hoping to own a Cali by next summer.

Thanks again

Andy

Good point the Cali only has a two ring burner so uses very little gas :thumb

Has anyone considered or actually managed to T-off the cylinder to run an external Cadac Safari (for example)? If so, I'd be very interested in details/photos, etc. Many thanks.

Our first bottle lasted a year which was 60 nights camping and we cook a lot of the time and at less then £30 a refill I personally don't think it would be worth the expense and effort.

Some of the big mobile homes have gas fired heating, fridges, hobs and ovens so it makes sense for them to have refillable cylinders.

My thoughts are to try to avoid a 2nd bottle to carry. Thanks.

I was persuaded to go for the HP Cadac Safari Chef 2 because it takes the small cannisters (also makes it easier to lug to the beach etc) so I am goign to test mine this weekend!

There is a company that makes refillable gas tanks that are the same size as the 907 Gaz bottle.
The joy of these is that the gas used is the LPG sold at petrol stations and cost just a few pence.

www.gaslowdirect.com

I looked into this last year, but couldn't figure a way to get the filler pipe out of the water tank.
To look good, the filler should have been installed in a nice little black box beside the water filler, ideally.

So I gave up on that one!

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/gaslow-gas-tank.9363/#post-87336

Alan

The clincher is the length oh hose you'd need, prob at least 10m.
The coil would take up just as much storage space as an extra bottle.

S.

Last edited:
I occasionally carry a second bottle.

I do so when my cylinder in situ has gone more than 50 nights away (roughly 6 months) or when I am carting my bbq around. The cost spread over the lifetime of Cali ownership works out for me at about 0.5 pence per night away.

I also would not like the hassle of explaining to eurotunnel what my lpg arrangements are. It's enough of a bother just to open a tailgate and show them the disconnected bottle.