Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing alloys to steels

Sandyvan

Sandyvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I just like the look of the T32 Steel wheels with the Goodyear Vector M&S Tyres. As said going to have my diamond cut 18" Bi-Dakar alloys powder coated satin black all over.

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This is still one of my favourite photos. I drove to Samoen a month after getting the van to go skiing with my eldest daughter. I’d never driven that far before. The steels worked for me! B3C4686C-9761-47C0-A322-C2FFEF6FC631.png

T3T4gone...

T3T4gone...

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Offset for 18 Amarok steels is ET45. Standard vw 16 steels are ET51 and alloys are all within that range... Mine is 40mm lower on H and R springs and the offset is perfect with 235/50/18s... No clearance issues at all.

BTW I love Samoens! I used to live in Morzine...

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

B J G

B J G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Offset for 18 Amarok steels is ET45. Standard vw 16 steels are ET51 and alloys are all within that range... Mine is 40mm lower on H and R springs and the offset is perfect with 235/50/18s... No clearance issues at all.

BTW I love Samoens! I used to live in Morzine...

View attachment 51400

View attachment 51401
16" rims are narrower than the 18" ones which means that you can't do a direct offset comparison.

16" are 6.5" - 18" are 7.5"

This site shows actual differences.

Last edited:
T3T4gone...

T3T4gone...

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Exactly right.. I used that site to compare 16/17/18 steel before I bought.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Those are not the gratest looking things, I agree. (although you probably mean the 17" steel rims)
View attachment 51164

But this is just a tad worse I suppose:
View attachment 51165
One of the first things I have done with both of our vans to date is to smother the spare wheel in wax oil. It will get filthy anyway but at least it won't rust. I also spray all of the suspension and other under body parts that tend to rust with Dinitrol clear wax. (Not the exhaust).

If you plan to do this as well, be careful to first mask off the brake discs and calipers with plastic bags.

I'm also thinking of having our winter wheels powder coated. They have done four winters and are in need of a spruce up. I may just use some rattle tins this year though.

T

TripleBee

Vehicle
N/A
Oh, well, I don't really bother.
The spare wheel is there just in case...
The winter steels are covered with the plastic trims, so the rust is also covered.
Don't forget, it is still a utensil (??).
First thing when it starts getting cold, or they start salting the roads, is taking off the alloys and put on the rusty's.
Works for me.

Our Partners