Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing alloys to steels

Apologies if I missed it, but can the 17” steels take spacers to widen the track a bit? I quite like them for winter with all the salt but the van looks slightly anaemic to me.

Just fitted my set of ‘winter alloys’ with Cooper Discoverer All Season. M+S and 3 peak rated. Initial impressions are very quiet and extremely comfortable ride.

318986FF-D552-4F6E-B329-281B1387D41A.jpeg

Will hopefully get mine changed over this weekend.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I have 18" VW steels from a Amarok... look awesome, 950KG load rated each, super quiet and a bit stealth, rather than a bit bling... I got them from Is Coles here as I know his work from banding other wheels, although mine are not banded on the Cali! I have stock 16" steel for winter but might update my 18s at some point to Michelin cross climates or swamper tyres. they have summer tyres on at the mo but no issues on campsites etc...

Simon coles here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/scvwcustomsbanded/about/

You can also get from these guys:

Silver: https://stitchesandsteel.com/collec...volkswagen-transporter-oversized-steel-wheels

Or in black:

Go for it!

View attachment 51232

View attachment 51233

View attachment 51234
Only thing to be aware of with the Amorak wheels is that they have a lower offset figure than Cali ones. Wheels will 'stick out' further spaying more mud down the sides and care needs to be taken with tyre choice for front wheel arch clearance if on a lowered suspension.

Only thing to be aware of with the Amorak wheels is that they have a lower offset figure than Cali ones. Wheels will 'stick out' further spaying more mud down the sides and care needs to be taken with tyre choice for front wheel arch clearance if on a lowered suspension.
What about sliding door clearance?

No problem with that, unless very wide tyres fitted.
Not the best description from me, I was just making others aware of the door to consider as well as the front arch's :Iamsorry I had a set of the steels on my first Cali and am about to get another set for this one, I can then have my alloys refurbed for next year.

Not the best description from me, I was just making others aware of the door to consider as well as the front arch's :Iamsorry I had a set of the steels on my first Cali and am about to get another set for this one, I can then have my alloys refurbed for next year.
I've gone for a new set of winter grade painted alloys with all season tyres and cleared out duplicate sets of wheels/tyres for winter/summer.

I just like the look of the T32 Steel wheels with the Goodyear Vector M&S Tyres. As said going to have my diamond cut 18" Bi-Dakar alloys powder coated satin black all over.

This is still one of my favourite photos. I drove to Samoen a month after getting the van to go skiing with my eldest daughter. I’d never driven that far before. The steels worked for me! B3C4686C-9761-47C0-A322-C2FFEF6FC631.png

Offset for 18 Amarok steels is ET45. Standard vw 16 steels are ET51 and alloys are all within that range... Mine is 40mm lower on H and R springs and the offset is perfect with 235/50/18s... No clearance issues at all.

BTW I love Samoens! I used to live in Morzine...

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

Offset for 18 Amarok steels is ET45. Standard vw 16 steels are ET51 and alloys are all within that range... Mine is 40mm lower on H and R springs and the offset is perfect with 235/50/18s... No clearance issues at all.

BTW I love Samoens! I used to live in Morzine...

View attachment 51400

View attachment 51401
16" rims are narrower than the 18" ones which means that you can't do a direct offset comparison.

16" are 6.5" - 18" are 7.5"

This site shows actual differences.

Last edited:
Exactly right.. I used that site to compare 16/17/18 steel before I bought.

Those are not the gratest looking things, I agree. (although you probably mean the 17" steel rims)
View attachment 51164

But this is just a tad worse I suppose:
View attachment 51165
One of the first things I have done with both of our vans to date is to smother the spare wheel in wax oil. It will get filthy anyway but at least it won't rust. I also spray all of the suspension and other under body parts that tend to rust with Dinitrol clear wax. (Not the exhaust).

If you plan to do this as well, be careful to first mask off the brake discs and calipers with plastic bags.

I'm also thinking of having our winter wheels powder coated. They have done four winters and are in need of a spruce up. I may just use some rattle tins this year though.

Oh, well, I don't really bother.
The spare wheel is there just in case...
The winter steels are covered with the plastic trims, so the rust is also covered.
Don't forget, it is still a utensil (??).
First thing when it starts getting cold, or they start salting the roads, is taking off the alloys and put on the rusty's.
Works for me.

Got the winter boots on. I think I prefer them over the alloys.

Just out of interest, can you spray alloys a different colour?
7ea436cced3dc1e80f25a35b5a27e8a4.jpg
b63141a57fd2daff110301bce973706e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Back