Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing alloys to steels

threetone

threetone

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Who here has changed (or is thinking about) their pretty alloy wheels to utilitarian steels?

I am seriously considering making the switch. I love the look of black steels, but i’m hastant to change because alloy wheels are supposed to be better, lighter, more fuel efficient..

Who here has thrown caution to the wind and did it anyway.

:)

I'm putting steels on for winter.

147d31eae6414eed67feae8aa316b5a0.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Just note the pics show the 17" steel which are considered trendy by the youff. The 16" steel is a different design, with less 'design'.

I put steels on every winter with winter tyres. They do rust though with the salt on the roads.

Just note the pics show the 17" steel which are considered trendy by the youff. The 16" steel is a different design, with less 'design'.
I quite like the 16" design too but have to use 17"s because the 16" don't fit certain calipers.

I looked for a van with 16" steels because the high sidewalls are more durable for offroad.

Can anyone please advise as to the best place to buy the 17" steelies, as per posts #2 & 3?

I need some to leave my winter tyres on rather than chopping them on and off the alloys every year....

Can anyone please advise as to the best place to buy the 17" steelies, as per posts #2 & 3?

I need some to leave my winter tyres on rather than chopping them on and off the alloys every year....

Give James Morgan a call at all-star customs. he sells delivery millage T32 steel rims with Goodyear cargo vector tyres on for under £500 delivered to your door.

Like these.

Image result for vw t5 t32 steel wheels

https://www.allstarcustoms.co.uk/contact.html

if you just want the rims, Tyreleader. I’ve just ordered one for a spare.

if you just want the rims, Tyreleader. I’ve just ordered one for a spare.
Make sure they are genuine VW, not saying the one you have ordered is not, just check. The VW ones are rated at 950kgs. I've had a set from James before and they come with the Cargo Vector M&S tyres on.

Make sure they are genuine VW, not saying the one you have ordered is not, just check. The VW ones are rated at 950kgs. I've had a set from James before and they come with the Cargo Vector M&S tyres on.

Thanks. Tyreleader sell the Alcar steels. VW approved and load rated. It was a post from Loz that put me on to them.

There is a set for sale over on the T6forum

The ones I had before come with tyres and are M&S so not a bad winter combination. Also delivered. Just answering the OPs question he makes the choice.
I am going to order another set soon, then get my alloys powder coated instead of diamond cut.

I am seriously considering making the switch. I love the look of black steels, but i’m hastant to change because alloy wheels are supposed to be better, lighter, more fuel efficient..
I'm not sure if the lighter part is still up to date.
Alloys used to be much lighter. Like this A6 alloy.L1375315A.jpg
But the less spokes, the thicker or heavier the alloy has to be, so they are not lighter anymore now.

I think we should throw a steel and an alloy on the scales and see if and what difference there is between the two.

I am happy do drive my original steels in winter, and save my alloys for the better wetter.

Thnx for the reply’s everyone.

Are all these great looking black wheels DIY, or aftermarket paintjobs?

I find it very difficult to find them online.

Sprayed them myself. Halfords' finest wheel spray paint and lacquer.

I just put on my full 16" plastic wheel caps. Won't bother spraying, and respraying my rusty steels.
They only have to support the tyres and loads of salt in wintertime.

I wonder how long those sprayed wheels hold their shine? Or is there some very tough lacquer on the market that can withstand all the abuse they have to withstand?

Not too worried about the shine to be honest. Just prefer the black to the original silver.

Those are not the gratest looking things, I agree. (although you probably mean the 17" steel rims)
IMGP9260.JPG

But this is just a tad worse I suppose:
IMG_20190624_123957.jpg

Back