Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing alloys to steels

Indeed, i’m not after the rusty ‘barn-find’ look :)

I like both the 16” and 17” versions, i have 16” alloys now, so i will problably go for 16”.
I am however looking to keep them pristine, clean and new looking, so a tough black coating would be great !

I like both the 16” and 17” versions, i have 16” alloys now, so i will problably go for 16”.
I am however looking to keep them pristine, clean and new looking, so a tough black coating would be great !
Sorry to bust your topic, but what year is your California?

Yes, I invested in a set of 17" steel wheels with winter tyres last year.

They transform the grip in wet/mud/grass conditions.

I have just put them back on (a tad early) as we are doing the NC500, and I do not want to have any scary moments.

I also machined some customised hub covers.

DSCF0036.JPG

You can only use 17" minimum on a T5 the brakes are too big for a 16"

Who here has changed (or is thinking about) their pretty alloy wheels to utilitarian steels?

I am seriously considering making the switch. I love the look of black steels, but i’m hastant to change because alloy wheels are supposed to be better, lighter, more fuel efficient..

Who here has thrown caution to the wind and did it anyway.

:)
Me I prefer steels, but I think all T5's onwards need 17" minimum because of the disc size.
I bough t a 17" spare this year because I had a bottle of glue to get me out of a bad situation, bought a carrier and a spare and threw the glue in the bin, once you use it that is the tyre written off finished.
There are some 18" steels available made for the south american market probably Amaroks.

I have 18" VW steels from a Amarok... look awesome, 950KG load rated each, super quiet and a bit stealth, rather than a bit bling... I got them from Is Coles here as I know his work from banding other wheels, although mine are not banded on the Cali! I have stock 16" steel for winter but might update my 18s at some point to Michelin cross climates or swamper tyres. they have summer tyres on at the mo but no issues on campsites etc...

Simon coles here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/scvwcustomsbanded/about/

You can also get from these guys:

Silver: https://stitchesandsteel.com/collec...volkswagen-transporter-oversized-steel-wheels

Or in black:

Go for it!

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

They do look nice.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nicely parked over there. Good for the tyres.

Thanks... better for the tyres to not move at all IMHO... have you seen the UK roads?!

Not really actually, as I have only been once to the UK for a 5 day hiking trip when I was a teenager. Then I was just crossing the fields around Kent.

And as for good roads, don't take French smaller Departemental roads.

better for the tyres to not move at all IMHO...
And that is definately not true. If a tyre is not moved in a very long time, it will flatten and create a flat spot on all 4's. Then, after 3 - 4 years, start driving it again. :happy

T5 140's come as standard with a 16 inch spare its only the 180's that need minimum 17's
The T5.1 150s could be spec-ed with the bigger brakes for £100, but as Cali kev said came with 16" as standard all T6s to my knowledge came with 17" wheels unless you spec-ed 18" alloys.

I have 18" VW steels from a Amarok... look awesome, 950KG load rated each, super quiet and a bit stealth, rather than a bit bling... I got them from Is Coles here as I know his work from banding other wheels, although mine are not banded on the Cali! I have stock 16" steel for winter but might update my 18s at some point to Michelin cross climates or swamper tyres. they have summer tyres on at the mo but no issues on campsites etc...

Simon coles here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/scvwcustomsbanded/about/

You can also get from these guys:

Silver: https://stitchesandsteel.com/collec...volkswagen-transporter-oversized-steel-wheels

Or in black:

Go for it!

View attachment 51232

View attachment 51233

View attachment 51234
Unless I missed it how much? I don't do facebook.

Me neither but I couldn't find website! I paid £345 for the four without tyres from Is Coles...

Oh, er I can actually park too!

This is a wheel thread... not a parking thread! plus I do know about tyres...

Me neither but I couldn't find website! I paid £345 for the four without tyres from Is Coles...

Oh, er I can actually park too!
Cheers, its a choice of these then buy tyres and have them fitted or Four T32 17" Steels C/W Goodyear cargo vector M&S tyres. I will have a think.

I must admit I like the look of the T32 Cheese shape holes better but only 17". And they come with centres for £475 for four delivery millage. What to do :confused:

The T5.1 150s could be spec-ed with the bigger brakes for £100, but as Cali kev said came with 16" as standard all T6s to my knowledge came with 17" wheels unless you spec-ed 18" alloys.
Yes mine is a T5 180 bought at 1 year old so speced by Someone else
I just feel the alloys are a bit precious I’m more a steel wheel man it feels easier somehow

I removed my 18" Palmerstons this weekend and fitted some steels with all season tyres as the roads down here in Devon are so bad! I have decided I quite like look and might keep them on all the time and save me the worry of kerbing my alloys.
2b6874ecaa71319c419620ac194a3914.jpg

4b8b867d5c8b52e082880590efb7d86b.jpg

Last edited:
1570433784437.png

Mine came with these, with all season tyres. i'm sort of planning to get some 18 inch alloys at some point, but rather like these for the time being.

1570433728818.png

I removed my 18" Palmerstons this weekend and fitted some steels with all season tyres as the roads down here in Devon are so bad! I have decided I quite like look and might keep them on all the time and save me the worry of kerbing my alloys.
2b6874ecaa71319c419620ac194a3914.jpg

Yes that’s my plan also
Thanks are these steels 17”

Yeah 17 inch and appears much better ride , so far really happy with them .

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back