Charging house and engine batteries at the same time

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello
Can Loz or any of the elecical boffins on the forum advise me if charging house and engine batteries at the same time can be detrimental . During lockdown I have been on ehu occasionally but decided to try out my cetek 5 starter battery charger which was pre wired by main dealer . Is there a problem charging in both directions at the same time and the shunt ? Many thanks . Trebor

I did it once, and there were some strange phenomenons going on. Don't charge both separately together.
Doesn't yours trickle charge the starter battery when on ehu? Mine does.

No problems here. Mains EHU ON and CTek plugged into Kitchen mains socket and charging engine battery via Dashboard socket. No problems.

No problems here. Mains EHU ON and CTek plugged into Kitchen mains socket and charging engine battery via Dashboard socket. No problems.
Do you not rely on the “mystery” trickle from the EHU to the engine battery?

Do you not rely on the “mystery” trickle from the EHU to the engine battery?
Got the fridge on for Peroni and wine in the garden, and its full. If the fridge wasn't on then yes.

Just wanted to check... plugging in the van via the rear flap will charge the leisure batteries and the engine starter battery? (So no need to trickle charge the engine battery?)

Mine:
IMG_20200324_111745.jpg

But you will have to check yours if yours charges the starter battery.

Maybe time for a new thread so we can have an idea of which years do charge the starter battery?

I am trying, but I don't have enough possibilities.
I am up from 2003 to 2012.
Gonna group it per 2 or 3 years.

This seems a great idea. What ctek charger do you use?

Thanks. Do you also condition your leisure batteries with this? Or just rely on EHU?
No, I only use it on the engine battery. The Leisure Battery charger is a smart charger as far as I know.

My 2018 Ocean appears to charge the starter battery when on EHU. I used my voltmeter across the starter battery and if you switch on the EHU you can see a small increase in voltage on the meter. Can’t find my digital voltmeter at moment so cant be more precise, but there is a small increase in voltage across the starter battery. When you turn off the EHU the needle drops a similar amount.

Back