Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Check list

holliers

holliers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

We've just returned from a trip where the van performed faultlessly. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the owner, having (amongst other things) opened the roof whilst having the tailgate open with a bike on the bike rack. Luckily I remembered in the nick of time and suffered only a scratched roof. I know others have had worst experiences.

I suspect there are little self checks that each of us do, some to avoid minor "Doh!" moments, others to avoid damage to vehicle, property or people, and I though it might be useful to share with other owners (particularly new ones), so that they are at least in mind when away.

The one I learnt on this trip were

- Ensure the tailgate is closed before raising the roof​

One's I routinely practice

- Check hook up is unplugged before moving away
- Release handbrake before rotating drivers seat
- Pop up rear headrests before sliding bed seat back into position
Are there any others worth sharing?

Mark

Ensure the wind out awaning is supported by the legs whilst winding it out, I have seen quite a few people winding it out all the way then putting the legs down!

• Rear cupboard door is closed before closing the tailgate
  • Ensure the little flap on the hookup input is clicked into place when closed - otherwise you see it flapping around in the passenger wing miror
  • Ensure the rear window blind is opened before driving off - the rear view mirror is pretty rubbish but at least seeing a little bit would be useful
(I have fallen foul of the hookup cable / driving away thing - lucky that the cable broke rather than the socket on the van - that would have been very expensive - I now have a cardboard sign that I hang on the steering wheel)

• Turn off the gas before setting off
  • Remember you have turned off the gas before setting off

Close the tailgate before setting off :oops:

I once spread three carrier bags of shopping, placed on the rear shelf, along a 100 yard swathe of supermarket roadway.

Remove levelling ramps before driving away - makes a horrible clunking noise and is deeply distressing....have also perpetrated the most basic of sins by repeatedly trying to lower the roof while the roof bed is still up.....

al

One's I routinely practice

- Check hook up is unplugged before moving away​

Mark

Thankfully the van does alarm if you start the engine with the Electricity still plugged in. Not sure if it still does if the RCD switch is off though? Might check next time.

Thankfully the van does alarm if you start the engine with the Electricity still plugged in. Not sure if it still does if the RCD switch is off though? Might check next time.
Problem with this is it makes so many beeping noises - I was moving the van with the roof up, so expected beeping - DOH

Close the tailgate before setting off :oops:

I once spread three carrier bags of shopping, placed on the rear shelf, along a 100 yard swathe of supermarket roadway.
A lot of these issues are tail gate related :)

To be fair I think closing the tailgate applies to all vehicles ;)

Problem with this is it makes so many beeping noises - I was moving the van with the roof up, so expected beeping - DOH

It does tell you on the computer screen as well but as you say - get fed up with beeping and just accept without looking.:talktothehand

It does tell you on the computer screen as well but as you say - get fed up with beeping and just accept without looking.:talktothehand

Here a beep - assume it is the roof - drive away - big bang - panic :(

A lot of these issues are tail gate related :)

To be fair I think closing the tailgate applies to all vehicles ;)

That's all right if you've had tailgates before!!

All new to me, I'm still practicing :(

That's all right if you've had tailgates before!!

All new to me, I'm still practicing :(

Have images of you driving a round with hatchbacks and saloon cars with the boot open. At least with a tailgate the contents fall out instantly :)

Another one
  • Check under van for rubbish / camping equipment which you have put there to be safe!

Thanks all,

Have almost fallen foul of this one myself - "Rear cupboard door is closed before closing the tailgate " ... !

Thanks for all the tips , i for one am guilty of opening the awning fully without putting legs down, won't do that again..Time to produce a laminated check sheet to hang on the wheel as a reminder of things to check prior to moving off.

Two other awning tips to save damaging them, if the wind is gusty use hold down straps and always put a slope on the awning so rain can run off..
In France we once went to bed after a lovely warm sunny evening to be woken at 4 o'clock in the morning to the sound of our awning collapsing under the weight of rain water where we hadn't put a run off.. luckily it didn't damage the awning!
Although probably a better tip is not to use them in bad weather at all :bananadance

I was told by the Hire people to check the gutter on the roof before closing for small twigs or leaves if you are under or near trees and its windy.

Tales of owners driving off with ramps in place or EHU still connected have been cautionary ones for me. Being a Bear of Very Little Brain I turned to the Hundred Acre Wood for a checklist when setting off after a stop-over... hence, PIGLET.

P = Pop-top down
I = Interior: all stowed, nothing going to crash around at the first corner.
G = Gas off
L = Leveling ramps (have never actually used these but there's bound to be a first time)
E = Electric hook up un-hooked
T = Tailgate shut

Seems to cover the big and ugly issues anyway. I suppose it might be better to go from outside the van to inside but I don't want to waste a good mnemonic.

Tea towels removed from door handles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back