Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do's & Don'ts List?

So would a dumb blade key isolate the alarm system,when entering the van if it was on?
I understand that it would be no good for the ignition.

I'm presuming the blade key would be a fraction of the price of the original key,but could get you out of trouble should your main key be locked inside.

Best solution to make a habit of taking them with you when leaving your vehicle (easier said then done).

Also don't let's forget, your insurance is invalid if your keys are left in your vehicle should your vehicle get stolen. :sad

Alan

2CV67 said:
Is that all then?
I thought (still think) there would be a lot more, noticeably ways to accidentally drain the main battery...
I am updating the original post to include new items, thanks!

Some details:
a. What might be the limiting size for pans to avoid melting stuff?
b. Why should the circuit breaker be off when connecting/disconnecting hookup?
c. "don't leave your keys in the van. Keep them in your pocket." - Why exactly? We are thinking of getting 2 simple keys cut for potentially wet/sandy/accident-prone activities; always taking a key each on a strap in case we lose one; hiding the main keys inside when we are out with the simple keys & vice-versa; hiding a final-emergency key very carefully outside. But obviously we don't want any discussion of hiding places.
d. No comment on having engine running for roof operations or other items with question-mark?

Thanks!

...remember that it is not possible to have "simple keys" cut with modern cars because they all have to have chips in them to actuate the unlocking mech. Being a sailor, I have to think about key storage and damp. An option is to get a water proof bag (annoying but practical) Here is one affordable example: http://jonti.co.uk/index.php/clothing/a ... 13215.html

Thanks for the post, this is going to form a very useful list for us.

Andrew

Re: Do's & Don'ts List?

Shut the driver's door when clearing snow off the windscreen - otherwise you'll have a pile of the white stuff in the footwell and door pockets ...

Don't be put off by all the dos and donts it is all basic common-sense ! Enjoy your Cali get your self to one of the Cali meets that's the best advice I was given, the guys there will put you straight no problem candycal bill

Don't tighten the round inspection lid on top of the water tank (in the bottom of the wardrobe). Leave it just touch-tight otherwise it will become extremely difficult to release.

Thank you for all these common-sense rules to preserve life of gears and avoid damages. It makes a good reminder to share among the family members.

I would add:
- Do not make an extensive use of the front shutter - every night for instance and during stops to protect from the sun heat - to extend the shutter spring life span. Prevent a removable folding shutter instead.
- Use a thin tissue in the sink beneath the dishpan while driving to avoid superficial scratches.

OK - I am adding a list of "Nice to have's" to the original post as well, to not lose all the less serious items which have emerged here.

Thanks everybody!

Don't open a bottle a local French cider inside. I ended up smelling very fermented apple like. It looked like the celebration at the end of a Grand Prix. So thank heaven for a Extra large soak away doormat and VW seat covers. After spending the last few days tutting at the kids for dropping crumbs inside the cali ,they have just about stopped laughing at me. :laugh2

Also don't put a fan heater to close to the plastic end of the table leg. Ours is now warped and difficult to retract. Will try and warm it again and bent it back. :cry:

I added this item to the original post:

26. Don't leave the mirror switch in the position between Left & Right. This is the Heating position & will waste energy & reduce mirror life.

I actually did this at the handover (habit from previous vehicles to prevent inadvertant mirror movement) & the salesman picked it up immediately!

Re: Do's & Don'ts List?

Also don't try and pull the table along the rail by the metal edge.... It will come off! Any tips for repairing it?

Don't spend the entire Easter Sunday sitting in you Cali as your better half is ill. You have nothing better to do than obsess over every little bit of your Cali :shocked found loads of major issues like a 2mm scratch order a seat and hinges .005 degrees off level not to mention small grains of sand in the seats runners you can't reach with you dust pan n brush.

Think I'm getting cabin fever :doh

Dont try sleeping on bottom bed without a mattress topper !! :lol: :laugh2

Don't try and put the roof down in a force 10.
Don't camp in heavy rain and wind without a roof cover on.
Don't leave the ignition on for the stereo without hookup.

All been done by us; oops!