Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chip Advice needed

If you intend to use the van for what it’s meant for, then you will be collecting a few more scratches and chips, so either do a quick touch up or just live with it. It won’t be the last!

I'd go touch up, people generally look at a vehicle in the whole and providing you are careful you wont really notice it as it's so small.

I reversed my wife's 3 day old Audi into a wall, she has never noticed my repair and she's really fussy (not sure why she married me come to think of it)

As somebody above has said "the first cut is always the deepest"!
If it were me Id probably wait until end of the season as Im sure there will be more then get a professional to do all in one go once a year.

Hi, my 4 week old Cali has it's first chip :-( my husband was putting the table away in the sliding door and fell and whacked the table on the van. It's only a tiny chip but its annoying me and i want it gone. I would appreciate some advice as I've no experience in this sort of thing, do I order a touch up kit and repair now? I'd probably do a rubbish job but is it small enough for even me to do ? Should I get it done by chips away or wait till there are more ?
Thanks

View attachment 76848
It’s a tiny chip, it’s a camping vehicle so it will pick up scratches and chips with use so I understand people who say leave it. However if it was mine I couldn’t live with it, every time I looked at the vehicle my eye would be drawn to it but that’s just me, I would get it done. Good luck and let’s know what you decide.

Hi, my 4 week old Cali has it's first chip :-( my husband was putting the table away in the sliding door and fell and whacked the table on the van. It's only a tiny chip but its annoying me and i want it gone. I would appreciate some advice as I've no experience in this sort of thing, do I order a touch up kit and repair now? I'd probably do a rubbish job but is it small enough for even me to do ? Should I get it done by chips away or wait till there are more ?
Thanks

View attachment 76848

Alfie was a week old when my beach trolley rolled into the side leaving a wide three inch scrape on the bottom cill.

First thing I did was have a glass of wine, Second thing was to get a bottle of touch up paint and just erase it enough so I didn't see it every time I got in the van. Third thing was to scratch my head desperately trying to think of ways in which it was most definitely not my fault. Fourth was resolve to wait until there were sufficient war wounds on Alfie to justify trundling him down to the body repair shop.

Three and a half years later and it got professionally fixed last week along with a few other bits of battle damage.

I agree with @BeagleMum about the eye constantly being drawn to it which is why I felt it so important to touch it up a little bit.

You’ll soon find it doesn’t bother you once you get a few stone chips on the bonnet, they’ll get the attention!

When I cleaned the van today I realised how tiny the chip is (yesterday in my mind it seemed much bigger) however like Beagelmum said you know it's there and the eye is drawn to it, so very annoying ! I'm going to either go for vw touch up kit or the chipex, after reading about the chipex it says it's risk free as you can easily remove any paint you make a mess of. Then in a year or two when there is likely to be more I'll get them professionally done. Thanks all

Last edited:
See that’s the great thing about roof corrosion. Once the top cap starts to bubble and blister all the other scrapes and scratches just seem soooo insignificant...:)

See that’s the great thing about roof corrosion. Once the top cap starts to bubble and blister all the other scrapes and scratches just seem soooo insignificant...:)
Oh dear, not really read the threads on that but it doesn't sound good and yes makes my chip look very insignificant, I hope that's not on the horizon for my van :(

Oh dear, not really read the threads on that but it doesn't sound good and yes makes my chip look very insignificant, I hope that's not on the horizon for my van :(

Don’t worry, it will be years away yet and it’s not that big of a deal.
Just enjoy the van for now and expect the scratches and dinks to appear.
It’s adding character to the van:)

Back