Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cigarette lighter port use battery effect

Gooldmike

Gooldmike

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi, can someone clarify for me if the Cali is parked up on a site for a number of weeks without driving it , and you regularly use the cigarette lighter port for charging devices , could it drain the main car battery ( assuming that port works from the main battery and not the car battery ) ?

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, can someone clarify for me if the Cali is parked up on a site for a number of weeks without driving it , and you regularly use the cigarette lighter port for charging devices , could it drain the main car battery ( assuming that port works from the main battery and not the car battery ) ?
That is correct Mike. As a general rule, everything in front of the B pillar is powered by the starter battery and everything behind by the leisure batteries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
//post deleted because of the joys of replying from a small phone screen //

Last edited:
Gooldmike

Gooldmike

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
That is correct Mike. As a general rule, everything in front of the B pillar is powered by the starter battery and everything behind by the leisure batteries.

Ok, thanks Kurienp. Do you know if it's possible to drain the battery with regular use, with the van parked up for weeks without starting it up ?

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Ok, thanks Kurienp. Do you know if it's possible to drain the battery with regular use, with the van parked up for weeks without starting it up ?
Yes, that is very much possible and with older vehicles, parasitic drain is also a challenge. Good to get them started once in a while and give them a good run.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Quit possible, but it does depend on the vehicle/year.
On my T5.1, due to a wiring anomaly { not intended by VW }, if on Mains Hookup then the mains charger can trickle charge the Engine Battery.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
You didn’t say if you had it on EHU? If you do, this will keep the leisure batteries charged, you just need to make sure you use the leisure powered 12v outlets.