Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cigarette lighter socket: always powered?

Y

YvesGr

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I noticed that the cigarette lighter socket in the dashboard is always under power. I fitted a usb-adapter to power a nav system and the power indication light is always on, also if i switch off the engine and remove the car key... normal?

If normal, cou’d it drain the car battery as the nav system does not switch off

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Yes normal.
unplug adaptors when leaving the vehicle for long periods of time to avoid draining the starter battery.

I've wired a socket that does switch off when the ignition is off. It also avoid wipes dangling everywhere. I just used a spare fuse slot that was switched live.

I've wired a socket that does switch off when the ignition is off. It also avoid wipes dangling everywhere. I just used a spare fuse slot that was switched live.
Where did you fine this spare slot ? I thought there was none. Could you give some more details about this connection? ?

You can use these.

As I had the insulation in the engine hood eaten by weasels, I plan to install an ultrasound system. Which ? I do not know yet. Is there a best place to connect such a device in the engine compartment?

Where did you fine this spare slot ? I thought there was none. Could you give some more details about this connection? ?
Have a look at these dash cam posts. I used the same piggy back connections others have recommended.

And for the connection of the negative wire? On any screw connected to the body?

And for the connection of the negative wire? On any screw connected to the body?
I ran a wire under the carpet to the seat fixing, but someone else found a suitable screw in the fusebox area behind the bottle holder.

I ran a wire under the carpet to the seat fixing, but someone else found a suitable screw in the fusebox area behind the bottle holder.
Agree, there are screws under the dash that will give you an earthing point. There are also some holes in the metalwork near the fuse holder. I just used a suitably sized screw in one of those. Works.

Back