Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Battery Charging via cigarette lighter socket

B

BernieC

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, I want to use a solar powered trickle charger plugged in via the cigarette lighter socket. Will this work when the ignition is off and the key removed from the ignition? Has anyone experience of these devices - any recommendations?

Thanks John. So it looks like you would have to connect a solar panel via crocodile clips to the leisure batteries in order to charge them - correct?

Thanks John. So it looks like you would have to connect a solar panel via crocodile clips to the leisure batteries in order to charge them - correct?

Just use one of the sockets that work off the leisure batteries.

The handbook says you mustn't do it. Can't see why not but that's what it says.
Should be OK clipping it direct to battery though as plenty of us have solar panels wired in like this.

The handbook says you mustn't do it. Can't see why not but that's what it says.
Should be OK clipping it direct to battery though as plenty of us have solar panels wired in like this.

It might well be to stop people accidentally putting too much current through the cig socket wiring. They are probably wired for 5 to 10 amps max, though must people's solar panels will generate far less than this.

I would like to use a small solar panel to top up or maintain my starter battery. I have a cigarette lighter plug on my solar panel cable.
My dashboard socket remains live permanently is it ok to plug into that?
Some vehicles seem to have live 12v sockets when keys are removed and some are not live so I have never been game to test it.

If it stays live then there is no reason why not.

The dash type small solar panels usually don't come with a regulator, but as they produce such a small current it really doesn't usually matter.

I used to use one to keep the battery on a sports car I had topped up as it would not stand being left for more than 2 weeks unused (with a tracker) without going flat. Worked perfectly (a 5w panel I think).

Saying that, if your wiring is all good, there is no reason for your SB to go flat unless left for very long periods unused.

Back