Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electric socket next to sink

Oggie

Oggie

VIP Member
Hi,

Anyone know if its possible to get an adapter for the cigarette lighter socket next to the sink. I have a 2008 California and the sockets too small for a conventional cigarette lighter connection.!? So at the moment I have no idea what it can be user for?

Cheers,

Rob

I replaced the smaller diameter thing (I think this is some German standard socket) with a normal lighter socket. To do that it is necessary to enlarge the hole behind the socket. Alternatively you can buy (or make) an adapter between the small and normal socket.

Freeley said:
SimplyDubs said:
It's a 12v DIN (Hella) socket.

Adaptors available from pretty much any caravan/touring shop.

Or here on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-HELLA ... 4ac526bee1

Rgds
Mark
I've got one of these I run my TV off it though it has a habit of blowing the fuse in the TV power plug.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Odd... if it's the plug in the TV... then the TVs drawing too much current, the adapter can't blow a fuse that's "downstream" of it. (Problem on the TV side of the adapter)

I've got a simple DIN plug to Cigar lighter socket. Less bulky and give better reach. I typically use it for a phone charger.

SimplyDubs said:
Freeley said:
SimplyDubs said:
It's a 12v DIN (Hella) socket.

Adaptors available from pretty much any caravan/touring shop.

Or here on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-HELLA ... 4ac526bee1

Rgds
Mark
I've got one of these I run my TV off it though it has a habit of blowing the fuse in the TV power plug.

Odd... if it's the plug in the TV... then the TVs drawing too much current, the adapter can't blow a fuse that's "downstream" of it. (Problem on the TV side of the adapter)

I've got a simple DIN plug to Cigar lighter socket. Less bulky and give better reach. I typically use it for a phone charger.
Yeah its a bit of a strange one. It's the 12v cigar lighter type plug, most of the time it's fine but on the odd occasion it will do it repeatedly usually before I've even got round to turning the TV on.
With a bit of experimentation I've found that by plugging the TV plug into the adaptor first then plugging the adaptor into the hella socket it seems to overcome the problem.
Could be a coincidence but it's never done it since doing it this way

Cheers for the advice, just ordered the adapter, let's hope it works :)

Hi I'm new to the forum and Californias. We collected her yesterday. I wonder if can help. There is no power to the three pin plug by the sink. The circuit breaker in the back cupboard is on/green.
Any ideas? :thanks

smileyjo said:
Hi I'm new to the forum and Californias. We collected her yesterday. I wonder if can help. There is no power to the three pin plug by the sink. The circuit breaker in the back cupboard is on/green.
Any ideas? :thanks

Does it say the hook up is connected on the control panel? (Plug icon)

RCB needs to be flicked on to red when on hook up. Red is on and green is off for some reason.

I'm guessing that they're not plugged into the mains but expecting the 240 socket to work?

Thank you. I think I understand now. The English socket doesn't work unless you're hooked up but the European random shaped socket does if you have the right adaptor. Guess what my next question is...... Sorry for being such a newbie numpty :)

regards the 3 pin socket,
is it permenantly live?. i tried to charge my phone up today and nothing?.
if the socket isnt working, what could be the problem?

thanks

hi tntoat
as mention early it is only live when plugged into power via hook up