Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

City Centre Camp Sites - within walking distance or bus ride.

Cheltenham Racecourse, but Not racing days if my memory serves. Good for the Book Festival.

Cheltenham Racecourse, but Not racing days if my memory serves. Good for the Book Festival.
Yes, it’s a CMHC site. Through the winter, or if the weather’s bad there’s no grass, so consequently no pegging anything down, including wind out awnings.

There’s a lovely park between the race course and town and a victorian pump house En route too.

This is the latest plan for the C&MH club site on the waterfront in Bristol. A lot of locals are very upset as it brings tourists to the city and provides a bit of variation to the eternal apartments being built here.
A public consultation starts next month, Feb 2020.
Just spent 2 very wet and windy nights at Baltic Wharf. If you haven’t been yet, go whilst it’s still there! I believe it’s lease Is a rolling 3 month agreement, so if/when a decision is made its closure could be quite rapid.

Just spent 2 very wet and windy nights at Baltic Wharf. If you haven’t been yet, go whilst it’s still there! I believe it’s lease Is a rolling 3 month agreement, so if/when a decision is made its closure could be quite rapid.
We’ve looked at it for years and never been able to get in. Then last year we did but ended up cancelling due to illness, Doh!!!

We’ve looked at it for years and never been able to get in. Then last year we did but ended up cancelling due to illness, Doh!!!

You can park overnight in the car park almost next door..

Well, I'm hoping that's still the case. It's part of the athletes village for the Bristol 10k and I'm hoping to be able to have a cup of coffee before popping out of the camper and setting off on my toes :D

You can park overnight in the car park almost next door..

Well, I'm hoping that's still the case. It's part of the athletes village for the Bristol 10k and I'm hoping to be able to have a cup of coffee before popping out of the camper and setting off on my toes :D
When is it, Jen?

I heard from someone who stayed there that they rang the site during the day to see if there were any cancellations and got a space that way.
Be a shame when it goes, does seem to be always busy.

If anyone is booked on the C&MH site in Bristol in the near future, it might be worth calling to see if there is access to it still. There was a landslip across the road from the site on Friday, not quite opposite the entrance and that part of Cumberland Road is closed at the moment.
1580113587180.png
The entrance for the site is on the extreme right of the picture and the white pole you can see in the photo is on your left as you drive onto the site. The left hand lane alongside the river has been closed for quite a while now but engineers are checking the stability of the rest of the road.

If anyone is booked on the C&MH site in Bristol in the near future, it might be worth calling to see if there is access to it still. There was a landslip across the road from the site on Friday, not quite opposite the entrance and that part of Cumberland Road is closed at the moment.
View attachment 54656
The entrance for the site is on the extreme right of the picture and the white pole you can see in the photo is on your left as you drive onto the site. The left hand lane alongside the river has been closed for quite a while now but engineers are checking the stability of the rest of the road.
Had a phone call from them on Saturday, yes still open but access from the east end only as the pavement has slipped. We are there next weekend.

The Caravan & Motorhome Club site on the harbour side at Bristol is going to be closed and developed into housing in the relatively near future. The club has owned a nearby piece of land for years which used to be Police riding stables and dog handlers. They applied to build a campsite here and it was turned down. It is now being discussed again.

Many of the people who are putting comments in favour are from all over the country. If any Forum members wish to comment you can follow this link and make your observations. It is a superb location at the mouth of the gorge with the suspension bridge on one side and joined to Bristol by a cycle path or a very scenic walk.

Does anyone know of any City Centre Camp Sites that are within walking distance or a short bus ride? These are 3 I know of and can recommend.

Bristol - Baltic Wharf CC site has now got a lease extension to 2018

Cardiff - Caravan & Camping Site, Council Run 3* with on-site Coffee Shop/Cafe - 500m to Centre.

London - Crystal Palace CC site - 50 min bus ride to Trafalgar Square.
Warwick Race Course.Almost City Centre and close to bus station for Leamington Spa and other parts of Warwickshire.

There are two at Edinburgh both with bus stops outside and short journeys to the city centre.

Continuing the thread resurrection:-
Cambridge CAMC site in Cherry Hinton has an excellent bus service with 2 different routes in to the city each with one about every 10-15 minutes. Pub very close and a nature reserve over the road. Near Duxford too.
Good cycle routes in from there too although you then need to find somewhere to lock your bike once you get there. There is some secure city centre parking.
The only downside was the price (£50 a night for 2 adults 2 children in April. Premier Inn was full but not much more) and getting a pitch.

A few in-town / edge of town sites we’ve stayed at during the past 18 months or so:

East Horsley (Surrey) CCC - edge of this commuter village, with direct overground rail to London, and ultra handy for the A3 / M3 plus the RHS garden at Wisley. Attractive site too, with a fishing lake.

York CAMC - 5 minutes to shops, pubs etc., 15 minute walk into the city centre, 20 minutes to the train station. Always well booked up, but it’s expensive.

Melrose CAMC - right in the town, 1 minute to a Coop, 5 minutes to pubs, shops. Good stopover when heading to Cairngorms/ Fife etc.

Exeter House CAMC (Dulverton, Exmoor) - a favourite site, and good stopover for Cornwall. 5 minutes walk into town, with pubs cafes, hotels and shops. Nice 3 mile river walk from the site.

Castleton CAMC - 10 minutes to closest pub, 15 minutes to shops, restaurants etc. Nice walks direct from the site. Another of our favourite sites. Also a CCC certified location next door.

Bridlington CAMC - edge of town, with a 20 minutes walk to the town centre, or 5 minute bus ride (a stop right outside the gates). Plus walk direct from site to the cliffs and Danes Dyke, plus Flanborough Head / Bempton Cliffs (probably about 9 miles round trip).

Mayfield CCC (north east Derbyshire). Booked in to stay there soon, and 15 minutes walk in to the village, 5 minutes to nearest pub.

Yellowcraig CAMC (North Berwick). Mentioning this place as while not strictly in the town, there’s a lovely 3 mile beach walk into North Berwick, and the protected coastline is stunning. North Berwick is a lovely town too.

Bristol Harbourside C&MH Campsite
At the time of writing the site is still open and doing good business. The licence is being extended as the permission to build the school on the site is still unapproved.

Please note that it is inside the Bristol Clean Air Zone and thus you will need a Cali T6 or 6.1 that takes Adblue to avoid the £9 per day fee for driving a non-Euro 6 vehicle in the zone. You can go online to check if your vehicle complies and the only way in to Cumberland Road is from the Redcliffe end.
You have to pay the fee online within a few days of going into the zone or they add a fine of about £100 to the fee.

It is a very handy site for Bristol City Centre. You can walk or cycle in along the Harbour or take a yellow ferry up the harbour to one of their many stops and enjoy the views from the harbour as you go.
1685299228471.png
Simon

Last edited:
Crystal Palace C & MH site in London still operating as now on a yearly lease extension. Bus stop outside direct to Trafalgar Square.

Booked in to Abbey Wood CAMC site in East London in July to spend a couple of days in the capital and see a show. £38/ night as opposed to £200/night for a hotel in central London. 45 minutes into the West End on the new Elizabeth Line apparently.