Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning when travelling

Larkrise

Larkrise

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
What do folks do about cleaning when on the move? I generally abandon everything except for the glass- but that does seem to get thick with splattered insects very quickly. Has anyone got good products or kit to deal with this when away from home?

Most versatile thing that covers cooking, hand drying, wiping, and makes no noise when travelling ....... Large roll of kitchen paper towels, the decent ones that don't fall apart when used

For more serious cleaning, aftermath of raw meat etc ....Flash strong weave wipes- 90 in a pack, Wet ones hand wipes-,40 in a pack. These are both in resealable plastic bags, but we store together in a single ziplock so they do not dry out

Small hand brush for general debris removal from floor. Can rattle so we store under sliding seat and surround with soft items

Dyson handheld rechargeable vacuum (the least used of all these things), which we keep in the optional small under seat drawer and again surround with soft items to ensure zero travel noise

As ever prevention better than cure, so we try to leave shoes outside van and wear flip flops inside it. We also cook, prepare food and eat outside whenever possible using camping gaz cartridges on small burners so this avoids messing up the inside.

Vw monster mats very good at keeping footwells clean as they hold debris that can then be thrown outside when you remove the mat

The floor is hard to clean so we don't bother until we get home

For external cleaning when away I carry AutoGlym;
Bug remover
Fast glass
Rapid detailer
Instant tyre dressing

All stored in a small bucket with wash mit, wash leather and polishing rags.

It is the windows that 'bug' me the most! The rest of the van can wait until we get home.

Raggedroy said:
Bug remover
Fast glass
Rapid detailer
Instant tyre dressing

How on earth do you fit all that in :?: I'm sorry when I leave for a trip all that stuff stays at home
Holidays I forget all the cleaning just let her get dirty or use a polish hand car wash

I just get the Butler to clean it.

Raggedroy said:
Bug remover
Fast glass
Rapid detailer
Instant tyre dressing

Tyre dressing, detailng ? You must be a bundle of laughs to go on holiday with

GrannyJen said:
I just get the Butler to clean it.
I hadn't thought of that :thumb
Seriously do people really take cleaning kit on holiday :?: I'm to busy drinking rum & coke to
Worry how dirty my van is :thumb

I think he was joking - I hope, or I feel sorry for his wife :eek:

If Grimex doesn't deal with it, it gets left...

sorry, I thought I was driving a ÂŁ50,000 vehicle, not a builders van. Clearly you have more money and less respect for expensive purchases than I do.

I love cleaning the van, but not on holiday. I do carry one of those green pan scourers for getting bugs off the windscreen - especially useful in hot climates.

(DO NOT USE ON PAINT THOUGH - I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!!!!!)

And when you get back from holiday you can have a cleaning frenzy :)

Haha I'm liking this thread lol.
We have trouble fitting our stuff in as it is without taking a bucket full of cleaning products.
I get it spick and span before we leave, after that nothing more than a regular brush out till we get home. Apart from the time i knocked a pint of cider over that is!
If you want to spend your holiday time cleaning your 50k vehicle then go for it, but it doesn't float our boat.

Next thing you will all be saying it that you don't work out or watch your diet when on holiday. :thumb

small brush for inside

Out side the more dirt on the outside of the van = the better the holiday has been tends to be the fact with our trips, when home it has a treat from top to bottom :thumb
sorry but cleaning the paint while away not a top holiday activity for us.
after 2 weeks touring Scotland cleaning the dead bugs off the front was my revenge on the little bugger that bit me :lol:

All we take is glass cleaner and micro fibre cloths.

I certainly do not do detailing or tyre dressing when on holiday :crazy

If i did I think the missus would send for the men in white jackets :lol:

I think this is where I am too; sweep it out when it gets bitty but get organised about getting the midges and other ex wildlife off the windscreen.

Raggedroy said:
Next thing you will all be saying it that you done work out or watch your diet when on holiday. :thumb

Exactly.

Horses for courses.

If looking after the pride and joy is a big thing for you then do it.

As for working out and watching weight, I do just that!

My running kit probably takes up as much room as your cleaning kit and I go nowhere without it. It's not because I want to be super fit, it's just something I enjoy and it means I can spoil myself with all those little dietary extra's when on holiday, health giving sustenance such as cream cakes and choccie, and not worry too much about it.

GrannyJen said:
Raggedroy said:
Next thing you will all be saying it that you done work out or watch your diet when on holiday. :thumb

Exactly.

Horses for courses.

If looking after the pride and joy is a big thing for you then do it.

As for working out and watching weight, I do just that!

My running kit probably takes up as much room as your cleaning kit and I go nowhere without it. It's not because I want to be super fit, it's just something I enjoy and it means I can spoil myself with all those little dietary extra's when on holiday, health giving sustenance such as cream cakes and choccie, and not worry too much about it.

Thank you for having an open mind, the truth is there is no right or wrong, just different perspectives. My idea of a holiday is completely different to others.

I am off to the South of France next week. When I arrive on the campsite I will probably do an oil change and possibly replace my brake pads.

:laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2

spanner said:
I am off to the South of France next week. When I arrive on the campsite I will probably do an oil change and possibly replace my brake pads.

:lol:

spanner said:

Pmsl :thumb

spanner said:

I'm off to Oldham next week to pick my Mother in law up and I will probably just grease the ejector seat :lol:

Back