Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cobra Tracker

jhgf

jhgf

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just been told our brand new bright red 4motion 204 California Ocean has been built and has now been shipped to the UK. We will take possession of the vehicle after 1//3/16 just so we can show off a new "16" number plate!!!

It is the most expensive vehicle we will have ever bought (significantly more than our previous 180 California that we bought in 2012) and I am considering having a tracker device fitted. I have two questions:

1. Are trackers worth it?
2. What is the VW Cobra Tracker system like?

Answers would be a appreciated

Thanks

Jonathan

[/ATTACH] image.jpeg image.jpg Jonathan, I don't know about the VW Cobra System but I had Tracker Retrieve fitted to my BMW when they use to offer a "lifetime" package. Now as well as a hefty upfront cost they charge an annual subscription as well so I don't think there worth it. I have brought two trackers that have gps and a sim and you control them by texts. You can track them using a smart phone and it links to Google maps. Not at sofisticated as a tracker but no subscription and cost £55 & £14 respectively including shipping. See pics. The smaller one just plugs into a usb charger. The more expensive one (not tried yet) has geofencing (alerts if vehicle moves outside a input radius, alerts if doors opened (courtesy light) and offers you the option to shut off the fuel pump (can only be activated if the vehicle is travelling below 30mph) check out Amazon for the expensive one. eBay for the cheaper one. Both come from China so takes 5 weeks to deliver. The £55 one needs wiring by an auto electrician and could affect your warranty, check with VW if 3rd party trackers void warranties You need some PAYG sims, only tried the portable tiny one, about the size of a box of matches, internal battery last around 6hrs hence leave it plugged in. Phil

Last edited:
I found out last week that if you get insurance through Direct Line, you can opt for them to send you a device which monitors your driving for some possible cash back.

So what, you may ask?

Well, it uses GPS to track speed, which means it also serves as a GPS tracker so can, in fact, be used to locate the vehicle at any time. Of course, it could probably be unplugged, and I've not seen one to understand its limitations, but if you plugged it in in the boot, it's a free tracker that could pay you!

Got me intrigued.

Or of course an old iPhone and find friends !

Obviously a tracker will not help to stop your Cali from being stolen. However it might help you to get it back. The big question is: Would you want it back after some undesirable type had been using and abusing it? You might just prefer it to stay stolen and claim a replacement on your GAP insurance.

Personally, with at least two Cali owners on this forum recently reporting that their pride a joy had been stolen, I would recommend that you ask the dealer to have one fitted before you collect it. As you have paid a fortune for your Cali already it seems silly not to get one fitted.

The Cobra systems seem to be good but you need to have your car stolen to find out just how good.

Last edited:
Obviously a tracker will not help to stop your Cali from being stolen. However it might help you to get it back. The big question is: Would you want it back after some undesirable type had been using and abusing it? You might just prefer it to stay stolen and claim a replacement on your GAP insurance.

Personally, with at least two Cali owners on this forum recently reporting that their pride a joy had been stolen, I would recommend that you ask the dealer to have one fitted before you collect it. As you have paid a fortune for your Cali already it seems silly not to get one fitted.

The Cobra systems seem to be good but you need to have your car stolen to find out just how good.
Yes, stolen and no news that they had been recovered!
For your peace of mind - yes.
In the real world, these are not vehicles taken by a joyrider but probably professionals who would know about trackers and come prepared with the necessary equipment to block them.

We have a £20 tracker off eBay. Free GiffGaff SIM and as we use GiffGaff on our phones it is free to call the tracker.
Ring the tracker SIM, wait for the answphone, hang up and it sends a text with a Google maps link. Works very well.
According to our policeman neighbour the professional thieves assume there is a tracker fitted so drive a few miles to a remote spot and wait a couple of days to see what happens. If no one turns up they are then fairly sure that there's no tracker fitted.

I think most GPS trackers are in theory blockable and the professional scumbags are probably going to deploy a blocker. Some tech can resist blockers, I believe some uses mobile network triangulation even when GPS is blocked. I also know of people who have recovered their vans after being stolen for a tracker so they clearly work.

Tracker is reportedly the best solution because it also uses RHF radio and not just GSM/GPS. The RHF isn't blockable like the GPS/GSM, however they come with a hefty annual fee and are reliant on police having resources, equipment and appetite to track the stolen vehicle.

I have trackers in all our vans and wouldn't be without, they aren't perfect, but they can be purchased so cheaply and used on cheap Pay as you go sims that I can't see much reason to not have one. The worst that could happen they dont help the best you catch the thieves.

If your vehicle is a daily driver, then a wired in job is probably best, if not, then you can get 90 day battery devices that are intended for caravans but would suit a stationary motorhome.

I think most GPS trackers are in theory blockable and the professional scumbags are probably going to deploy a blocker. Some tech can resist blockers, I believe some uses mobile network triangulation even when GPS is blocked. I also know of people who have recovered their vans after being stolen for a tracker so they clearly work.

Tracker is reportedly the best solution because it also uses RHF radio and not just GSM/GPS. The RHF isn't blockable like the GPS/GSM, however they come with a hefty annual fee and are reliant on police having resources, equipment and appetite to track the stolen vehicle.

I have trackers in all our vans and wouldn't be without, they aren't perfect, but they can be purchased so cheaply and used on cheap Pay as you go sims that I can't see much reason to not have one. The worst that could happen they dont help the best you catch the thieves.

If your vehicle is a daily driver, then a wired in job is probably best, if not, then you can get 90 day battery devices that are intended for caravans but would suit a stationary motorhome.

Agree with MattBW, Only Tracker has the RHF radio which once activated "pings" Police cars within its radius so if their bored they may track it and apprehend for a bit of excitement. The Cobra is just like the £50 I brought on Amazon. So if you go for one get a Tracker but since insurance companies no longer demand one on an expensive vehicle (The only reason I got one on my BMW) then I would go for one of the cheaper ones as per MattBW post

PS the Mini A8 is great for grandchildren.

Back