Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do are vans already have a tracking device fitted?

I have a dog GPS tracker in the back of the van, permanent on charge via a usb cable and hidden away... It is perfect, much cheaper, though not insurance approved of course.... Pawfit.com use code HUNTER to get 10% off
To be honest, it's the only reliable dog tracker we found and also use two on our dogs, fully waterproof.

Screenshot_20230513-113719.png

I've just had a rather frustrating experience with Camping and Caravanning Club, Club Care Insurance providers where they advised they won't provide a quote for a vehicle valued in excess of £75,000 without an approved tracker fitted (I haven't fitted one). My VW California (purchased last October) is currently insured by NFU Mutual and whilst a Thatcham Approved Immobiliser was a pre-condition of insurance, a tracking device wasn't. My van is currently insured with a value of £77,000, the increase in value over replacement value was recommended by NFU Mutual as I have a paint protection film applied to the bodywork and this (understandably) always complicates (and therefore increases the cost!) of insurance claims. My NFU Insurance (at £670 pa) is on the high side to what I've seen others posting for their vans, and while I'm very happy with NFU I'd like to have options and hence my interest in some other quotes, However looking at the overall cost of installation of a tracker and the hefty annual subscription charges, I'm not sure what I'll save on the insurance recovers the cost of a lower premium with an insurer that insists on a tracker.

Anyway this situation got me looking into trackers online and I came across the following for a site (called "Vehicle Tracking Tech") selling Cobra tracking devices and it got me asking myself whether my van already has a factory fitted tracking device anyway?

View attachment 108300
It was the statement in this advert "and is fitted as standard to Audi, VW, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi...." that I'm interested to verify.

So does anyone know if this is the case and VW California campervans are factory fitted with trackers by VW ?

Is this perhaps how VW's "We Connect" App can show me where my van is on the Apps embedded Google Maps page?

I would be interested in peoples views, because if this is the case, then presumably I could legitimately and honestly answer "yes' to an application for an insurance quote that asks if my van is fitted with a tracking device.
I have just insured with LV no tracker required £400 fully comp including breakdown , courtesy car, upgrade legal and personal cover . Think Comfort and others require a Tracker so I’m also thinking of getting one fitted

I had a Vodafone Tracker fitted by dealer (Liverpool) so I could obtain insurance from more providers and at a lower rate. Is Tgatcham approved etc.. Is continually monitored by Vodafone Auto and tracks exact location. If anything unusual they ring you. E.g. on a ferry or Eurotunnel and moving with ignition off. You have to use app to go in to transport or garage mode for this. A good system. Is an annual charge for the monitoring though

Be aware. If a Tracker is required by an Insurance Company then that Tracker must be working 24/7 otherwise the Insurance is invalid and a claim is likely to be refused even if it does not involve theft of the vehicle. In exactly the same way as a non-current MOT will invalidate the insurance policy.

We had similar problems when we insured our new ocean with vw insurance they would only insure it with a tracker fitted as value was £76500 this wasn't mentioned when we set up our drive away insurance we had a Scorpion tracker fitted so will see how it goes

I had a Vodafone Tracker fitted by dealer (Liverpool) so I could obtain insurance from more providers and at a lower rate. Is Tgatcham approved etc.. Is continually monitored by Vodafone Auto and tracks exact location. If anything unusual they ring you. E.g. on a ferry or Eurotunnel and moving with ignition off. You have to use app to go in to transport or garage mode for this. A good system. Is an annual charge for the monitoring though
How much was the Vodafone tracker? Thanks.