Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Could I have a non techy answer please?

Dear Cali Chums,
I've just heard that VW will start making our new Beach in mid September. So now I've started to look at our essential dealer and after market add ons. Being our second Beach, we know exactly what we need to buy with the exception of one item, a tracker.

Our previous two Calis both had dealer fitted Vodaphone Cobra Track Plus trackers that were both around the £500 mark to have installed with an annual subscription of £143 on top. Fortunately, I never had cause to use the tracker on either vehicles, so I have no way of saying if they were wise investments. So now I'm considering if I should get a tracker fitted to the new van and if so what type and model.

Now here's the problem. I have read the previous posts on trackers but being "a bear of very little brain" they have only left me with a thousand yard stare. Actually, any thing techy and involving electrical wizzardry has always caused the same reaction. Leaving aside the question about whether they are worth it, I would appreciate some un-techy advice on which tracker I should be buying. Obviously I'd like it to be effective and as difficult as possible for the hoody wearing brigade to disable or bypass. Cost isn't really my main concern, instead getting a good system is the goal. Having said that if that can be achieved more cheaply then whoopee.

Any simple and straight forward suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yours,
Confused from Kent.
Hi
dont bother with a tracker if you are insured with the caravan club or LV.......there are no significant discounts
If my ocean is stolen then I dont want it back after some low life has been using it

Dear Cali Chums,
I've just heard that VW will start making our new Beach in mid September. So now I've started to look at our essential dealer and after market add ons. Being our second Beach, we know exactly what we need to buy with the exception of one item, a tracker.

Our previous two Calis both had dealer fitted Vodaphone Cobra Track Plus trackers that were both around the £500 mark to have installed with an annual subscription of £143 on top. Fortunately, I never had cause to use the tracker on either vehicles, so I have no way of saying if they were wise investments. So now I'm considering if I should get a tracker fitted to the new van and if so what type and model.

Now here's the problem. I have read the previous posts on trackers but being "a bear of very little brain" they have only left me with a thousand yard stare. Actually, any thing techy and involving electrical wizzardry has always caused the same reaction. Leaving aside the question about whether they are worth it, I would appreciate some un-techy advice on which tracker I should be buying. Obviously I'd like it to be effective and as difficult as possible for the hoody wearing brigade to disable or bypass. Cost isn't really my main concern, instead getting a good system is the goal. Having said that if that can be achieved more cheaply then whoopee.

Yours,
Confused from Kent.
I’ve a tracker by Automatrics, they supply a small unit that you hide somewhere in your van (mines behind the glove box!) it has a long life battery, anti tamper protection and sim installed. You contact them if your vehicle is stolen and the fined your vehicle within a meter of its location, even within a shipping container and contact the police. Cost £120 a year, batteries are extra when they are low, usually every two years

I had a car stolen once and it was recovered. Everytime I went out after that I was convinced that I'd find an empty space where it was parked. Had to replace it to get my confidence back.
Now I'd rather a vehicle stayed gone if stolen.
My insurers weren't interested in a tracker, former Motorhome had to have one fitted.

Dear Cali Chums,

Yours,
Confused from Kent.
Just worth saying that when we went to get insurance on our new ocean, most wouldn’t touch it without a tracker fitted given its market value. Worth asking the question before you decide.

Just worth saying that when we went to get insurance on our new ocean, most wouldn’t touch it without a tracker fitted given its market value. Worth asking the question before you decide.
I have but as it hasn't been built yet they were unable to give me an answer without doing a quote. I insure via the Caravan and Motorhome club and with our past two ex demo Calis the insurance company they use weren't bothered either way. I'll check nearer the time.

I've just had a look and am completely sold. The basic £399 fitted job will do just fine. The second more expensive version involves using certain buttons on your dash to input a pin number that can be up to twenty numerals long. Since we both have trouble remembering pin numbers, that option would probably prove more of a barrier to us than any thieves!

Thanks for your valuable advice. I never thought it would be that easy! It has answered both the big Tracker questions in one. All I need now is the van and I'll give them a call.
Plus one for the Ghost @Borris it soon becomes second nature to use (although servicing mode is s little more challenging)
They will normally fit a tracker half price as well if you do at same time..

This is probably what you need.

Personally, I would spend my money on an Autowatch Ghost and not have it taken in the first place and not have the need to track it.
Loz, Have you had a ghost fitted ?

i'm rather tempted by the ghost, as i'm a bit paranoid that someone might pop into my house and pinch the key.

Trackers are a waste of time Borris.
Had a couple of friends who had trackers and the cars never came back.
8 weeks ago, my sisters Jag was taken with factory tracker.
They could see it was parked for 30mins 5 miles away. After that it disappeared which means they found it and ripped it out.

I had a Ghost installed about 6 months ago by a buddy. Takes a couple of weeks to get used to remembering to insert the code. But after that it’s second nature.
Best of all, he still hasn’t billed me :D

Trackers are a waste of time Borris.
Had a couple of friends who had trackers and the cars never came back.
8 weeks ago, my sisters Jag was taken with factory tracker.
They could see it was parked for 30mins 5 miles away. After that it disappeared which means they found it and ripped it out.

I had a Ghost installed about 6 months ago by a buddy. Takes a couple of weeks to get used to remembering to insert the code. But after that it’s second nature.
Best of all, he still hasn’t billed me :D
I'm definitely getting one. Not sure about that pin number thing though.

Personally, I would spend my money on an Autowatch Ghost and not have it taken in the first place and not have the need to track it.
Few of my close friends have had this system fitted and it works well. One had an issue with the system and they came to him within hours to fix problem. Great after sales service.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Just make it same as your bank card and write it on the back of your sun visor :)
Remembering the pin wouldn't be an issue although I have had that problem with bank cards before. No it's the extra level of complexity that a pin would bring that slightly bothers me. As I understand it after speaking to the Autowatch people, the basic model +£399.99 doesn't need a pin. The next model up has a pin which you input by pressing certain buttons (unknown to a thief) on the dash. Should anything go wrong with any of these buttons/functions, would that mean a dead vehicle?

What happens if you have a problem touring the Scottish Isles or Scandinavia, Croatia or Sardinia. Who comes to fix it?

Remembering the pin wouldn't be an issue although I have had that problem with bank cards before. No it's the extra level of complexity that a pin would bring that slightly bothers me. As I understand it after speaking to the Autowatch people, the basic model *+£399.99 doesn't need a pin. The next model up has a pin which you input by pressing certain buttons (unknown to a thief) on the dash. Should anything go wrong with any of these buttons/functions, would that mean a dead vehicle?
You have been given the wrong information.
All Autowatch Ghosts use a "Pin" system of button presses to unlock them. But you can also use an app on the phone to unlock it. (Personally I don't have the app installed as I think it's a weakness)

Last edited:
All Autowatch Ghosts use a "Pin" system of button presses to unlock them. But you can also use an app on the phone to unlock it.

Also worth noting.
My friend (autowatch installer) feels the phone app is an Achilles Heel and recommends using the pin system only.

@WelshGas, any issues I guess a tow truck home would be the answer.
No different to other type of failures when travelling...???

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
All Autowatch Ghosts use a "Pin" system of button presses to unlock them. But you can also use an app on the phone to unlock it. (Personally I don't have the app installed as I think it's a weakness)
Thanks for that information. I shall avoid the phone app.

I must have spoken to their trainee! She seemed a very confident young lady.

Also worth noting.
My friend (autowatch installer) feels the phone app is an Achilles Heel and recommends using the pin system only.

@WelshGas, any issues I guess a tow truck home would be the answer.
No different to other type of failures when travelling...???
Provided your Breakdown cover would cover it. Most other problems could be sorted out locally if the Warranty/Insurance/Breakdown cover agree. eg: Would VW Assistance cover the expense to get the vehicle home? I don't know.

Provided your Breakdown cover would cover it. Most other problems could be sorted out locally if the Warranty/Insurance/Breakdown cover agree. eg: Would VW Assistance cover the expense to get the vehicle home? I don't know.

I’d be surprised if VW would cover that unless the issue was a VW fault. But if, for example, the MF steering wheel volume button being broken meant the Ghost function disabled the vehicle, why should VW pay for recovery from Sardinia to the UK.

I’d be surprised if VW would cover that unless the issue was a VW fault. But if, for example, the MF steering wheel volume button being broken meant the Ghost function disabled the vehicle, why should VW pay for recovery from Sardinia to the UK.

There are emergency start procedures in place incase of this sort of fault.

Back