Colder feet than I thought.....

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Just spent my first proper cold (-2c) night in my Smurf Cali.

The insulation certainly works. I'd left a little elec heater running in the van whilst we went to the pub, coming back to find 20c inside and frost on the outside...... BUT........

.... .. It took more heat than I thought to keep it warm inside. Sat in the (turned) front seats, my legs were quite chilled. I'm wondering if there is a draught coming in from somewhere, or if it was just a case of heat rising? Any top tips from hard-top users?

Retiredron said:
Mrs Ron always covers her legs with a blanket and the dog :lol:
Ron

Goodness!!

Cover the dog first! Knees can be cared for later.

Wilupo,

Are you running your Eberspacher? If so , I'm surprised to hear you say you're cold. :eek:

Is is rinning correctly? With mine on I can't hold my hand in front of the vent without it burning. It's a serious bit of kit and should get the van toasty as a toasty thing.

S.

Not a straight comparison as the pop-tops have a smaller volume, but worse insulation in the roof. Our eber is capable of getting it unbearably hot inside. If we are on hookup the electric heater can also get it too hot. We've done a few minus figures trips.

I'll agree that the front is cooler, our heater vent points backwards and there will be more heat loss at the front due to single glazing.

Maybe the layout of the exclusive changes things a lot though.

Fair point Dan. I must admit pole position is on the bench seat facing the vent. Front swivel seats are more comfy but warmth trumps comfort every time.

It would be fairly easy to fashion some sort of deflector/ducty thing to direct some of the air elsewhere.

S.

It works fine for us as we have different definitions of "comfortable room temperature" :D

:lol: :lol:

There is only one setting. "Surface of the Sun". Works for me.

S.

the cold spot is really where the eberspacher would vent from. I was using a fan heater further back.

It just felt really cold there around the captains feet, as if cold air was entering from the eberspacher blower (I closed the vent as best as I could), or perhaps from the speaker-grill looking jobby in the side panel down there, which I thought was the vent for the conventional blower when I witch in on via the dash board button.

I know there will be a temperature difference between top and bottom, (I guess there is in my house too) but was really surprised at how cold the foot area was.

Dan's top cold weather camping tip: A pair of Northface camping slippers. Imagine a down filled sleeping bag for your feet :D

wilupo7 said:
the cold spot is really where the eberspacher would vent from.

??? Would? Is it not working?

The vent to the side of the sink (is the layout the same as pop top?) down below the fuse panel is the air return/supply for the Eber. No cold air should be coming in here.
It's a closed loop. Air from the cabin goes in and down through the vent below the fuse panel and comes back, heated, through the large black angled vent by the step on the floor behind the front seats.
Perhaps the ducting has come away underneath the van? that's the only way cold air can be getting in?

S

The eber is running ok, but I was paying for hook up so wanted to use the fan heater instead.

I think our layout is different from how you describe yours.

£36 Stirlings?

How the other arf liv eh? :eek:

S.

The T5 floor is not well insulated. However the heater blows, you lose a lot of heat trough the floor, and when out in the cold in the camper for somewhat longer, we always got cold feet after a while.

Our solution is a simple 12V heating mat (100x60cm) such as these. Very comfy!
HTKombi.gif
You can stick some insulation foil to the bottom with duct tape to improve the effectiveness.

Attachments

• HTKombi.gif
    HTKombi.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 3
sidepod said:
How the other arf liv eh? :eek:

I get one of the staff to warm them before they are placed on my feet too.

:thumb

The exclusive being hi-top and long wheelbase takes a bit more heating, but I find the on-board heater quite toasty I also understand Pete having paid for hookup wanting to use it,
I am thinking of getting insulted silver screens to keep warmth in also to stop messing about with the blinds :thumb
Ron.

I use a cheap foam back mat from Tescos £5.00 mainly used to keep the grit out of the floor runners,just the right size for allowing the draw to be pulled open without snagging the carpet and when its time to pull the bed out the mat is folded and stored between the front seats, but yes a piece of carpet does have a cosy warm affect when the time comes to take off footwear so these heat mats on here seem interesting .
I used the Calis central heating first time ever (newbie) this week and was really impressed.
I was not to sure how far to push it as I was wild pitching and worried about battery drain, so what no.setting do you experienced owners use when close to freezing?

Apologies if I have gone slightly off topic.

Thought I was on the t5 site :headbang

Don't worry Alan; There are many similarities between our vans.

I am thinking of getting insulted silver screens to keep warmth in also to stop messing about with the blinds

I had a set of quilted ones that came with the van. I also have the thin set. The thick ones are much better on the front screen, but didn't fit too well on the sides. I could see light leaking out so probably not doing much insulating in reality.

Back