Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cold Weather Test

andygenders

andygenders

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So I decided to take the plunge and find out whether we could survive a cold night in the Beach. Our model has no secondary heating, and without EHU I would be without any form of additional heat source.

So last night in the UK (South East) the temp dropped below zero overnight. So the plan was sleep downstairs, roof down, window blinds up etc - bed plan was 2 mattress toppers, sleeping bag, duvet and numerous blankets. - apart form my face getting cold, i would say snug as a bug in a rug. a solid nights sleep, and woke to a heavy frost. but interesting enough inside windows had frozen up.... Would i do it again, at a push if i got stuck somewhere, but i need to think more about the setup to make it work, perhaps more insulation, secondary heat source....

Great testand I guess your van passed it easily!
Snug like a bug - I like that!

My understandig is: Always open a window to avoid frozen windows and use external frontwindscreem covers. However someone might explain that better.

Happy camping

It's all about ventilation , roof down and windows closed is not a good idea imo.

Get hook up and small oil radiator. Also thermal screen cover. As others say you need to vent the van or your farts will freeze when they hit the glass

So I decided to take the plunge and find out whether we could survive a cold night in the Beach. Our model has no secondary heating, and without EHU I would be without any form of additional heat source.

So last night in the UK (South East) the temp dropped below zero overnight. So the plan was sleep downstairs, roof down, window blinds up etc - bed plan was 2 mattress toppers, sleeping bag, duvet and numerous blankets. - apart form my face getting cold, i would say snug as a bug in a rug. a solid nights sleep, and woke to a heavy frost. but interesting enough inside windows had frozen up.... Would i do it again, at a push if i got stuck somewhere, but i need to think more about the setup to make it work, perhaps more insulation, secondary heat source....

Run the diesel heater all night on 1 or 2 . This changes air so very little condensation also tiny oil heater if sub zero as well is good if plugged in . Fine upstairs with inner liner and outer topper to -10 or lower . Downstairs no limit . Woolley hat good upstairs if you sleep head to back when well below zero .

@Trebor , he was mentioning there's no aux.heater in his Beach ...
For me a must have in any camper(van) .
Imagine beeing without heating on your recent trip to the northkap ?

Andy.
One of my first vans years ago, was not much more than a panel van with some insulation, carpet boards and a mattress on a platform.
I remember the van got really cold during the night.

You could get 230v supply fitted easily and use a little fan heater, makes a massive difference.
But ultimately, a diesel heater is a must have. You can get them retrofit, £1300 ish.

Worth investing in wind deflectors to crank the windows half inch and an external thermal screen topper helps too.
Also silver bubble foil stuff cut to the size of the side windows will fit behind the blinds on a Beach.

Last edited:
Best thing about waking up on a cold morning is putting the heater on and getting dressed in the warm.

If you don’t have aux heater, your best bet is pay for electric hook up and get yourself a electric blanket

thanks for the feedback, this was an off grid test as well, so am considering that a 12v - 240v invertor then gives me a 13 amp option.

thanks for the feedback, this was an off grid test as well, so am considering that a 12v - 240v invertor then gives me a 13 amp option.
If you are planning on that for heating etc: be aware that your Leisure Battery may not last too long and there is no built in protection to stop it being damaged.

It basically comes down to hook up for electric heater or fit a diesel heater, depends if you are on sites or "wildcamping" over winter.

Back