Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coleman Event Shelter

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone use these as an alternative to a drive away awning? Like the idea of opening up all sides on a hot day.

We're a family of 4 and will need to get a tent of sorts for our forthcoming Beach to store cooker / bbq etc and have a seating area.

Budget is tight so these shelters looked like a possible option.

Thanks for any advice.

Looks really nice that, and if the weather got really bad you could park the van under it!!! :bananadance2

we use something similar - a Vango Hogan hub shelter. note: we do have a driveway awning but often cannot be bothered with the faff. the hub packs down much smaller, is faster to set up, and is just as practical... even more so in that, as you say, we can open up all 4 sides. It is also much less expensive. pic at Grubhof, Austria.IMG_5491.JPG

I use an event shelter / tent very similar to the Coleman event shelter,

It came from millets , from memory it was about £120 , included 4 detachable sides, so its a lot cheaper than the Coleman when you consider the Coleman does not come with sides. ( zip off) no windows but mesh panels high up to allow light and air in.
It’s easy to put up, takes up a relatively small space in the van and adds 16m2 of living and storage space when onsite and can

Great for a chill out area and extra storage,

I’ve slep 6 : 4 in the Cali, two in a drive away awning and the part tent for communal living, storage etc.

Not all sites will allow a tent that is detached from the van, check it out carefully, licensing authorities sometimes stipulate the tent has to be attached to the van ( I.e awning)

We used ours in France last year, wind out awning used to bridge the gap between van and tent, simple traps used as side panels for the wind out, works fantastic and is slightly easier than a drive away, (both have advantages and disadvantages

Try looking on the multicoloured auction site for second hand drive away awnings also.

As is always the way there is no perfect set up, but the party tent adds a serious amount of extra “ living” accommodation if sites allow them.

I think this is it

Good luck

Btw
Post some pictures when you get the Cali B

Yep we use one, we've got the Coleman Event dome which is a bit more waterproof than the event shelter apparenlty. At least it used to be. We do also have a driveway awning for if the weather is forecast to be wet or cold (I'm talking summer here not year round use!!) but the event shelter is lovely as it's so open.
IMG_1389.jpg

I just looked up that campsite. Looks fab and they opened on 29 May. Is there plenty for young families in that area? Thanks in advance.
Grubhof is a fantastic site...we would very much recommend it - great facilities. we didn't have kids with us, but I would say the bike paths are fantastic and there is a fab municipal swimming pool in town.

BA16A6E9-E981-4D2C-AF81-4DACF52CE990.jpeg
Coleman Event shelter does it for us. Means we can drive away and return as we wish. Great extra outdoor space.

Yep we use one, we've got the Coleman Event dome which is a bit more waterproof than the event shelter apparenlty. At least it used to be. We do also have a driveway awning for if the weather is forecast to be wet or cold (I'm talking summer here not year round use!!) but the event shelter is lovely as it's so open.
View attachment 60245
Thanks I'll take a look at that one!

I’ve owned Coleman event shelters, as I ran a few village events and we bought them as they seemed to be what we needed at the time.

We’ve taken one with us a few times whilst camping and it’s been great to have a large covered area, however the ones we had from a few years ago are not waterproof, more of a solar shelter.

The erecting of the shelter can be done single handedly but you need the skills of an octopus spining plates, it’s certainly easier with 2 or more.

Over the years we’ve seen the 3 original shelters turn into 2 plus some spare poles and then a single shelter with lots of spare poles.
Drunk campers, high winds or rough handling saw the shelter’s metal rods snap. Duct tape and bamboo poles work for a while though.

During lockdown I gathered all the metal poles, walls, feet etc and sold the lot.
I could have easily remade a complete shelter, but I considered it too much faff taking one of these camping for a weekend nowadays.

I now use a yham screen house or Kyham driveway awnings which I can put up in minutes single handedly. Not as big, but way easier and more robust.
(If you search a well known auction site you may find one I’m selling)

I think Coleman now do many types of event shelters, so there may be a waterproof/more robust version available nowadays.

I’ve owned Coleman event shelters, as I ran a few village events and we bought them as they seemed to be what we needed at the time.

We’ve taken one with us a few times whilst camping and it’s been great to have a large covered area, however the ones we had from a few years ago are not waterproof, more of a solar shelter.

The erecting of the shelter can be done single handedly but you need the skills of an octopus spining plates, it’s certainly easier with 2 or more.

Over the years we’ve seen the 3 original shelters turn into 2 plus some spare poles and then a single shelter with lots of spare poles.
Drunk campers, high winds or rough handling saw the shelter’s metal rods snap. Duct tape and bamboo poles work for a while though.

During lockdown I gathered all the metal poles, walls, feet etc and sold the lot.
I could have easily remade a complete shelter, but I considered it too much faff taking one of these camping for a weekend nowadays.

I now use a yham screen house or Kyham driveway awnings which I can put up in minutes single handedly. Not as big, but way easier and more robust.
(If you search a well known auction site you may find one I’m selling)

I think Coleman now do many types of event shelters, so there may be a waterproof/more robust version available nowadays.
Thanks I think the shelter route is def for us mainly down to budget but also I really like the idea of having open sides.

The euro hike shelter is waterproof, it has a hydrostatic head of 1500 and has removable sides (four nr)

The euro hike shelter is waterproof, it has a hydrostatic head of 1500 and has removable sides (four nr)
Same design as ours but a bit more waterproof - and a good price - looks a good option.

I loved the idea of this but am finding that the 'extras' we are being charged for really racks up with little extra's like the event shelter.
I am so sad that we get charged the same as a Winnebago. I get no reduction for being solo.

Few more thoughts about the Coleman event shelter, had one for a few years now use it for festivals and big campsites with friends. Makes a nice spot to congregate if the weather if a bit iffy and there are quite a few of you.
Note the shelter is not waterproof (doesn't claim to be), the seams aren't taped, so leak slightly. The poles are easy to break as you put it together if you are not careful especially if it is windy. Coleman helpfully don't sell spares, although people on a certain auction site do (or did). Once assembled it is quite robust, but I add extra tie downs if it is windy as it a large sail if you are not careful. It is very heavy to lug about in its bag and quite big so we only use it for single weekends rather than extended trips.

prob going to get a Vango Hub or the EuroHike one as they are waterproof and come with the sides and groundsheet included for around £150-£180.

We have a Coleman Event shelter which we had planned to use in much the same way as @Tamanddave It was on special offer at Go Outdoors. I bought 2 side walls at the same time which were about the same price at the whole shelter. The legs are made in steel and pre-curved. I can confirm that Coleman do not sell spares and so I bought an extra leg from a well know Auction site, presumably from an owner that had damaged some and wanted to get a bit of his investment back. You would expect them to be made of a material that is lighter and has a degree of "give" in it in the event of strong winds.
P1000356.JPG
In the context we used it here it was perfect. You have to make sure there are lots of guy ropes holding it down because if the wind gets up you need to remove the outer cover. If the legs twist and bend the may be unusable in future. It a heavy bag when packed away and over 100cms long taking up a fair amount of space in the Cali. One of the Cali owners had access to a couple of them and they were superb for gatherings during a bit of unexpected rain at a meet in Slimbridge. I certainly wouldn't use it as a main "outside space" as it takes up a lot of space on a pitch and this is the 3.65m x 3.65m smaller version. This site in the New Forest was very easy going and sheltered so it proved useful. Not been used since.

prob going to get a Vango Hub or the EuroHike one as they are waterproof and come with the sides and groundsheet included for around £150-£180.
Euro hike doesn’t have a ground sheet, on some sites they don’t allow fixed ground sheets

Back