Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone use a tarp shelter ?

Ewan

Ewan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We noticed in Holland recently that tarp shelters are commonly used as an addition to tents. This is basically a lightweight sailcloth or cotton shelter held up by poles and guys, and can either be standalone or attached to a tent/camper van. The beauty is in their flexibility - easy to move depending on the direction of the sun/wind - and the fact that they take up much less space than a driveaway awning.

Does anyone else use these and if so, what kind, size etc would you recommend ?

A quick web search has shown up a fairly limited range available in the UK eg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027Q8FPC/?tag=eliteelect-21

They seem to me to be a much cheaper and flexible alternative to the Brandrup and Windblocker awning sides. They're certainly ideal for sunny weather but the reviews also suggest they stand up well (if pitched correctly!) to our prevailing westerly wind. I think extendable poles would make them much more versatile also.

Any views please ?

These are very popular in the motorcycling world, used to supplement lightweight tents to provide somewhere to sit and drink beer in the main. Not too heavy and can be configured to meet your needs. I've seen the hung off bikes, tents, trees, and other assorted street furniture.

If used as a stand alone pitch saver they can be prone to blowing down in a decent wind.

'Go Outdoors' do a couple of Vango's just slightly cheaper than the Amazon price, around the £27 mark I think, and Decathlon have one at about £25 which is similar to the one we have.

"Go Outdoors' also have a more expensive Vango, around £67, but I'm not sure why it's that much more expensive. Vango tend to do two ranges of tent, a cheap one and a more rugged and lighter one for mountain conditions.

Might be worth you exploring those.

Back