Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complete Servicing Confusion - Please Help!

G

gatvol

My van is a dec 2011 per reg. I collected it in March 2012. It has now done 3,900 miles and is a 180 dsg 2wd.

I have just received a letter from The supplying dealer reminding me to book a first service for Dec 2012. Yet the vehicle's display tells me the next service is due in 133 days or 8,700 miles

To end the confusion I looked in my service schedule book. The dealer gave me the wrong one and the VIN number does not even match !!!! I do have a VIN sticker with the right numbers on but this still has its backing on. The is nothing written in this incorrect service schedule book other than the date I collected the van.

I am likely to keep the van for at least 10 years. As a first step I want to get my service book properly established so it does not terrify a future seller should I sell the van. But that makes me wonder whether I am on the correct servicing regime anyway, whatever I am actually on

Is the servicing regime on my van now set, Or can I change it to the one I want ?
Which is the better regime to follow pls ?

Many thanks for any tips

Mine has a 2 service 3 year plan ,so whatever the mileage or what the Cali says its going in after. 18months and then 36months ....
Also get your dealer to sort all your Cali paperwork out ASAP for you .. Some dealers are so slack and ride on the back of the VW name so much lately. They want your money and push you out the door,so say your not happy.

gatvol said:
My van is a dec 2011 per reg. I collected it in March 2012. It has now done 3,900 miles and is a 180 dsg 2wd.

I have just received a letter from The supplying dealer reminding me to book a first service for Dec 2012. Yet the vehicle's display tells me the next service is due in 133 days or 8,700 miles

To end the confusion I looked in my service schedule book. The dealer gave me the wrong one and the VIN number does not even match !!!! I do have a VIN sticker with the right numbers on but this still has its backing on. The is nothing written in this incorrect service schedule book other than the date I collected the van.

I am likely to keep the van for at least 10 years. As a first step I want to get my service book properly established so it does not terrify a future seller should I sell the van. But that makes me wonder whether I am on the correct servicing regime anyway, whatever I am actually on

Is the servicing regime on my van now set, Or can I change it to the one I want ?
Which is the better regime to follow pls ?

Many thanks for any tips

He is just looking for work. All the T5 GP's are on a 2 year/25,000 miles schedule. Your dashboard will tell you when your service is due :thumb

Mines going kicking and screaming at 18months and 36months as they are free ..:)

choplee said:
Mines going kicking and screaming at 18months and 36months as they are free ..:)

I know with my old BMW on a service plan, they wouldn't let you do it early unless you'd hit the mileage, I'd check first if I were you.

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
choplee said:

I know with my old BMW on a service plan, they wouldn't let you do it early unless you'd hit the mileage, I'd check first if I were you.

I will check before I book it in anyway ,as I don't trust any dealer oli ..

Gatvol - interesting post as i have exactly the same issue.

Collected my Cali in January this year and my dash says service due in 60 days or 8,200 miles (we've done about 4700 miles). However there is a sticker on the inside of the windscreen saying the van is on a 'long life' service regime so I was surprised to be going in for a service so soon.

My understanding is that there are two regimes - 'long-life' and 'time and distance'. Long-life is something like 25k and 'time and distance' is 10k miles or 12 months whichever is sooner.

The dealer who sold me the van said the Cali will work out when a service is due depending on driving style and whether you do much urban or motorway driving. I'm not sure I buy that so taking mine to the local Van Centre next week to get their opinion. Like you I also suspect that my Cali has been set up on the wrong service regime. I'll keep you posted!

Also, be interested to see if anyone from SMG see's this post and can advise.

Cheers

Hi,

This confused me also. However, if you look in the front of the servicing schedule book and get the Q code from the vehicle data sticker, it will tell you which schedule you should be on - mine is Q18 ie flexible service (the key for the Q codes is on page 2 of the book).

Hope this helps,

Andy

Where Alex when you need him, as im sure he would clear this up in a second!!

Here is the link to VW's website;

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/fleet/ ... servicing/

However we register 40+ VW's a year on our fleet, and every single one has been on a 25,000 miles/24 months schedule, not the older style longlife shedule as described above - This was for the pre GP Transporters. Id forgotten about time and distance, which is 10k/12 months, and if I were on a service plan Id change to this.

HTH

It's the facelift Transporter from February 2010 onwards :thumb

The website seems to be just a recommendation, but if you are doing a lot of town driving then the vehicle will bring itself in earlier than someone who does motorway driving anyway.

We see a lot of campervans for annual servicing anyway as a lot of customers like to get them servied and MOT'd before the camping season starts and no that there is nothing untoward with their vehicles.

T5's can be set to time and distance or longlife servicing, but the service costs will still be the same as longlife oil is still needed.

Facelift T5's can go up to 25,000 miles or two years depending on how it is driven, what sort of driving you do and how much weight is in the vehicle etc...

cheers

Our 62 plate 180 DSG is 2 years 25000 miles, long service.

Although I do need to double the correct details have been entered into the service book now you mention it!

My 180 facelift first service is 25k or 2 yrs, alhtough the book implies the next service is at 3 yrs as brake fluid etc needs changing then. Confused ? You will be !

I couldn't bring myself to leave oil in the engine for 25k miles!!

Wouldn't surprise me if its a factor in EGR failures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm upto 16k but 2 months until 2yrs so unless the computer says otherwise I think 2rs will coincide with about 18k

I don't think that there is any correlation between 25k between oil changes and EGR failures.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
I don't think that there is any correlation between 25k between oil changes and EGR failures.

cheers

I'd be interested to know if VW have a more global overview of such failures and the causes.

There will of course be other factors such as fuel quality, sulphur content and also the brand of oil used (as well as if oil brands are mixed) but what gets burnt in the engine becomes the exhaust gasses that pass through the EGR.

Poor combustion process combined with poor oil quality must influence the properties of the recirculated gas.

My oil isn't staying in there for 25k miles I know that much :bananadance

I think u would need to be burning serious quantities of oil for it to influence the exhaust gases and then EGR valve. Diesel engines do have lubrication provided by the fuel they burn. Granted there may be a long term secondary impact of engine wear impacting combustion quality causing particulate build up but I suspect that isn't what causes earlier failures. I would suggest that lots of cold starts and acceleration before the filters and cats have heated up will cause soot build up more likely to cause valve failure.

From the failures we have seen on vehicles when comparing what mileages they are doing, how they are driven etc..and how often they are serviced, from my point of view there is no correlation. Supersceded parts are not re-failing after replacement either which is good.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Superseded parts are not re-failing after replacement either which is good.

cheers

That's good to know Alex. Do you think this is also mitigated by the SW update?

Back