Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Completed roof corrosion feedback

PaulBishop

PaulBishop

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After waiting for 21 months for this roof corrosion issue to be repaired (following incorrect claim by VW Swansea which wasted 1 year) I wanted to let you all know that AB Crush in Canterbury contacted me back in August 2014 to say I was on the list with them. I must admit living in Cardiff I was concerned that my Cali was going to be shipped all that way for repair.

However I am very pleased to say that Julie from AB Crush called me in early March to offer me a cancellation slot as I did not need a replacement Cali. The service was fantastic. Julie kept me in updated throughout the 9 working days for the repair which included the second warranty claim for the repainting of the roof for blistering paint under the seal. The AA collection service was professional and they even returned the Cali on a Saturday. The AA called me several times to let me know when it would be delivered to AB Crush and on the return journey to within an hour.

Overall the service was painless, timely and the van looks brand new. If you are allocated to AB Crush then you will be in the safe hands of Julie and her team who will look after you.

Very happy!

Completely agree with your comments mine went for repair back in September 2014 & could not fault the service van came back with no problems.

Ours will be going in soon so a question. Were you expected to clear out all of your stuff from the van before taking it in?

The thought of clearing out all our carefully packed bits and pieces, pop up tents, etc.etc.etc. fills us with dread.

If you left all your stuff in do you think you took a risk of someone rifling through and pinching stuff?

Pleased to say when our Cali was returned everything was where it should be, even my packet of emergency Hob Nobs :thumb

Ours will be going in soon so a question. Were you expected to clear out all of your stuff from the van before taking it in?

The thought of clearing out all our carefully packed bits and pieces, pop up tents, etc.etc.etc. fills us with dread.

If you left all your stuff in do you think you took a risk of someone rifling through and pinching stuff?

Hi Hannik, Julie at AB Crush told me to leave everything in the van as they have a high security system in the yard and the staff are all security aware. However I did remove personal items, cash & CDs etc. But they cleaned the van hoovered the mats and it was returned in immaculate condition. So I wouldn't clear out everything just your personal items as I did.

Paul

My Cali is with ABCrush at the moment, have to say the process including the replacement Cali has been faultless so far. I have been kept informed of its journey up from Cornwall and it's arrival. I have also had the additional work under the rubber seal identified and work is ongoing. So far so good, thumbs up to Julie and the team.

It seems that the roof corrosion issue is now more under control so we can focus our attention on more important matters such as which are more useful in a Cali – Crocs or Flip Flops which was discussed previously(see my new posting).

SusiBus’s turn came up for her roof corrosion and she was returned to us in pristine condition in February. I must say we were extremely pleased with AB Crush’s work and also their customer service, particularly Julie Crush, who was most attentive. I understand she keeps the Cali documentation under lock and key to make sure everything goes smoothly – and it did!

We were treated to a workshop tour and a full explanation of the repair procedure. I have attached a photo showing a Cali bubble wrapped to protect it whilst in the workshop, and another photo showing the replacement front panel from underneath which clearly shows it to be an aluminium casting. It was confirmed to us that the repair procedure laid down by VW requires the replacement elevating roof rubber seal to be fully bonded around its entire circumference.

We have now sold SusiBus to a fellow forum member and I must say it was a very emotional experience watching her driving away from our house. We have had some amazing journeys in her but with a whole house to decorate (following an extension) and a new grandchild in May, we felt that our use this year would be very limited and it would be better for her to go to a new home.

The registration number has now been temporarily transferred from the 4motion California to a 2 pedal power Peppa Pig tricycle (but it does have a fixed pedal front wheel drive) and we are hoping to transfer it permanently to a T6 4motion as soon as they are available.

P1090456.JPG

P1090458.JPG

P1090460.JPG

Great pics. I have still not spotted any problems with Zebedee but he isn't quite 2 years old yet or maybe it's because I'm short and need reading glasses!

Zebedee

Are the cloth bellows being replaced each time?

I'd be interested to know.

Interesting photos and that looks like a complex casting. Interesting to see the connectors for the drain hole as well. Any idea what the two other posts with what looks like blue tape round them are?

We were treated to a workshop tour and a full explanation of the repair procedure. I have attached a photo showing a Cali bubble wrapped to protect it whilst in the workshop, and another photo showing the replacement front panel from underneath which clearly shows it to be an aluminium casting. It was confirmed to us that the repair procedure laid down by VW requires the replacement elevating roof rubber seal to be fully bonded around its entire circumference.

Heritage must have different procedure as they are defiantly not bonding the roof rubber all the way round.

Interesting photos and that looks like a complex casting. Interesting to see the connectors for the drain hole as well. Any idea what the two other posts with what looks like blue tape round them are?

Heritage must have different procedure as they are defiantly not bonding the roof rubber all the way round.

Ours came back from Heritage in March and think the rubber is sealed all the way round.
Having said that I haven't tried pulling it off!

Are AB Crush replacing the tape over the joins inside the van where the front panel meets the sides?

My concern if Herritage are doing it 1 way and AB Crush another, who is not following the procedure

Posted this on the roof corrosion thread, but this is probably the best place for it! I have now had my repair completed by Benfields in Newcastle and I cannot fault the service. As I live in Inverness and the nearest repair centre is Newcastle my van was away for 16 days but I had a replacement during this time. I have also received at least six calls from VW Customer Services checking and confirming details of the repair. The front part of the roof has been completely replaced and the corrosion on the elevating roof has been repaired. During the repair they have replaced the canvas roof - I had marked mine so I would know. I received a video of the van to show the level of protection during repair and once they had taken the roof off.
As some off out know, I made a big fuss with VW re their complete chaos in respect of logging calls and the conflicting information I had received from them. Obviously this has worked!
I'm no expert, but the roof repair looks ok, I suppose time will tell.
If repairing one van can take up to two weeks, depending on where you live, goodness knows how long it's going to take to get all the repairs completed.
Benfields provided an excellent service, their admin Donna and Kevin from the workshop kept me updated every couple of days.

I've been informed that when the roof is changed it comes as a complete kit which as well as new bellows includes every part involved in the change.

Yes mine were - I had marked them so I would know!

I've been informed that when the roof is changed it comes as a complete kit which as well as new bellows includes every part involved in the change.

Not in all cases unfortuantely, mine wasn't for instance... Still have the exisitng bellows. I had both the front valence fix and a full roof spray.

Equally not a pleasant experience and a long process putting right the various damage caused whilst they had it.

Are the cloth bellows being replaced each time?

I'd be interested to know.
Hi Hanniick. Yes they are replaced each time as the old one is damaged when taking the roof apart and could not be reused.

Hi Hanniick. Yes they are replaced each time as the old one is damaged when taking the roof apart and could not be reused.

Not all... mine wasn't, starting to suspect I may have been the only one.

Any other pre-facelifts not had the bellows replaced?

Not that it matters as my bellows are fine.

Mine haven't been replaced.....but that's down to the fact that nobody at vw has got back to me with any indication of where or when our cali is going to be sorted. Getting fed up with the lack of communication TBH will ring my dealer this week again

Last edited:

The 2 metal studs with blue tape are used to locate and hold down the roof while it is being bonded together. They are then removed once the process is complete. As the corrosion usually starts in the corners I expected to see some steel fixings there which might have been the cause of the corrosion but apparently there aren't any.

At AB Crush they have said it is a really difficult job to remove the canvass without damaging it, so this why VW authorise the canvass/bellows to be replaced as part of the roof repair.

I'm struggling with communication fron AB Crush.
Received their letter and a voice mail following a call I made to them. But since then (3 weeks ago) I've called numerous times and asked for a call back from the person handling my job with no response. Also sent an email last week.....again, no reply.
Shame really as all I wanna do is tell them I don't need a courtesy Cali.