Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Connecting an Ipod

wyn

wyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When used with the RCD310 Radio and a multi function steering wheel what functions will the MDI interface and i-pod cable give me. Specifically will I be able to play pause and skip tracks using the steering wheel controls, will I be able to see track listings on the dashboard display and wiil the i-pod be charged while connected?

Not sure about that specific radio but yes, you can skip tracks. There are two options with the iPod cable. One allows for tracks to be viewed on the head unit. The iPod does charge. Disappointingly for me the iPod is always powered when connected (rather than going off with the radio or ignition) which means I need to manually disconnect it (well, guess you could leave it connected if you wanted too...)

We've just got the aux port! As I tend to play it on shuffle I quite like the "surprises" but Shani gets peeved at me asking......who the hell is this!!

I have this setup. Basically you can access the menu system of your iPod as if you were using just the iPod. However when you use the iPod you have either the wheel or a touch screen to move between menus and on the new iPhones and iPod touches you can get to artists quickly by doing using the alphabetical listing. On the radio or steering wheel you don't have the speed that you have on the iPod. This makes it clunky.

We tend to find we now just play a playlist or even just put our iPod on shuffle. Searching for an artist or album is just too tedious. Obviously you can skip tracks with the steering wheel.

Would I buy the media kit next time - probably not. The main advantage is it charges your iPod, the downsides outweigh this though. Spend the money getting DAB and have much higher radio quality.

Back