Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MP3 and smart phone connection to California stereo

S

stationmaster

I have ordered a 2013 pre-registered California. 180 dsg. It has the standard stereo, steering wheel controls, and an Aux in in the glove box.
I want to connect my non-apple (Philips Go Gear) Mp3 and my Samsung S2 - to be operated via head unit AND the the multi-function steering wheels controls, and receive a charge from the van.
How is this achieved?
VW media-in interface?
VW ipod adapter (suggested by VW dealership)?
Or, neither of these? Maybe there is a simpler solution?

My final thought is: If the above goal is not possible, i could forget connecting the phone and just use the Aux in that is already fitted to connect the Mp3? Just get a lead that connects to Aux in and another to connect to the 12v oulet (for charging) - sorted - just have no control from head unit or steering controls? Sometimes simple is best!

Thanks a lot

Simon

The iPod adapters not going to work for a Philips MP3 player and assuming you have no Bluetooth then can't see how you are going to control the phone. Have you thought about installing a Bluetooth kit?

Otherwise it's the simple aux in approach for the MP3.

MDI - Media Interface.

It has the option of a number of interface leads including USB which will support devices that present themselves as mass storage so anything from Hard Drives to USB sticks, to I guess an MP3 player.

It's full USB so will have the 5v Charge you need.

Thanks for the information. The VW dealer supplying the van is finding the technology side of things a little confusing - he is very helpful, but unfamiliar with the technology i guess.

Get there in the end i guess!

In reply to the suggestion of getting a blue tooth facility - I tend to find talking on the phone while driving, on the hands free, very distracting. So it is the music files i really want to get sorted. I have music on the smart phone and my daughter has music on an mp3.

It is the charging and steering wheel controls i want to get up and running - for both the mp3 player, and to access music files on my phone.

Thanks again.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm having similar issues, although maybe simpler... I want to connect an iPod with tonnes of music. At the moment I am running your 'option 2' ie 3.5mm aux in and 12 v power from the ashtray. It is not the 'optimum' solution.
My dealer dissuaded me from going for the MDI because he felt that the control interface was not up to much - that I would basically only have the ability to scroll though track numbers (not useful if you have 60GB of music to scroll).
I have the MFSW and ideally would like to be able to change genres, artists etc without diving into the glove box and fiddling with the scroll wheel.
If this can't be done, I'll be looking to change the head unit for something more capable. Like you, I'm not that bothered about having hands free telephone capability, unless that's the only way of sorting the issue.
Good luck, I'll be watching your progress with interest!

Charlie

Kenwood KDC-BT92SD - CD/MP3/USB/iPod/iPhone Ready + Bluetooth

Replacing the head unit for one like the above may be the best, and least expensive option!

139 on line price.

What do you reckon?

the Kenwood looks like really great V4M but I can't see it linking in with the parking assist sensors. Although basic, I am pretty reliant upon the visual display on the 310 to help guide me through those narrow spaces...
Also, it is a single DiN machine, i.e. would leave a bit of a slot to fill? The 310 is twice the height!

Charlie

Looks like the KDC-BT92SD is a single DIN unit, so will need an adapter plate, and an extra cable for the steering wheel controls. It won't look very original. The double DIN kenwood is nearly £1000 though.

The cheapest thing to do is just copy loads of MP3s onto a CD and shove that in the CD player - you will get at least 10 albums worth on there, then you don't have to charge anything, and you can change folders and tracks from the MFSW.

If you are feeling really flush get a second hand RCD 510, these take 6 CD's and think they can all be full of MP3s - this will work fully with the MFSW.

Or really flash get a second hand RNS510 then you have 20GB of hard disk space to hold zillions (well a lot) of MP3, and it will do SAT nav and DVD and other lovely things.

I think to fully remote control stuff it will need to be an ipod and a MDI interface, as Apple products are so omni-present they will pretty much work OK, other non-apple stuff will be variable as there are some many options.

Tony

Tony,

Do you have experience of the ipod MDI connection to a 310 head unit? If so, just how good is the functionality? I mean, can you see on either the head unit or in the dash display, the hierarchy of tracks and select between them? Essentially drop down the menus to find specific tracks?
I only ask because sometimes the requests for 'Cat in the hat' story book come in fast and furious from the back benchers!

Charlie

I haven't as I am not an Apple ipod user, but a chap at work has a Skoda, with a Skoda equivalent RCD 310 and an MDI and and iPod cable.

I can have a play with that. What functionality do you want?

I assume you want to see the tracks on the MDI screen and change tracks and albums from the steering wheel?

Tony

Back