Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Connecting to hands free Bluetooth

CLARA

CLARA

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I am having problems connecting my iPhone to the Bluetooth hands free system in my California SE 2011. I have tried to follow the instructions in the owners manual, but I'm not getting any response at all.
Does anyone know of an easy method to solve this?

You are getting no response from what? The phone? If so, the phone needs to be in Settings->Bluetooth for it to be discoverable and to pair up. Just for the initial pairing.

My phone is Bluetooth on, and searching for devices.
But nothing is found.
The owners manual says to then open the telephone menu on the instrument cluster display.
Then select phone search menu item to search for compatible Bluetooth phones in the vehicle. But I can not find the phone search menu.
I do have a button on the steering wheel with a phone motif on it, but nothing happens when I press it.
Maybe I will take it to a main dealers to ask.

Do you know that your California actually has the Bluetooth option fitted?

If it has Bluetooth fitted in the van then you should be able to connect from the van to the phone that way as well.

If it is not showing up in the dash that you have Bluetooth in the van, do you have a phone button on the stereo? Does it mute the sound if you push the phone button? If it does this then you don't have Bluetooth on the vehicle.

cheers

There's an option on the display that says something like "make bluetooth visible for 30 seconds" which you need to do to make the initial connection. Mine was a real pain to connect until I found this in the settings (i think) and now it pairs automatically. HTH :thumb

Thanks for the help guys :)
I will try again tomorrow, but not looking too promising at the moment. :headbang

I'd suggest you don't have a complete bluetooth option in the van.
If you choose to pair from the dash then also force your phone to search they will exchange keys and see each other without fail.

Having a phone button on the steering wheel does not mean you have a Bluetooth kit installed.

If you have BT then turn the ignition on, then press the left and right buttons on the right hand side of the wheel.

It will go between something like settings - MFD, RADIO, PHONE, SETUP, NAV - if Phone doesn't come up then you don't have the unit installed.

If it is not fitted then it can be retrofitted quite simply - you can get the units for around 150 on ebay. The hard part is installing the microphone....

T

Thanks again, for the help guys.
I think your right Teeboy, I do have the phone button on my steering wheel.
But I don't think the Bluetooth is installed.
I will check out EBay for a unit :thanks

Hi Gary get a sparky to dae it ya dafty. :hello.

I am also interested in this. Can anyone clarify what is needed in the RNS 510 to fit bluetooth handsfree? My unit does not have the capability but does have a mike for voice control, and also the buttons on the steering wheel. I cannot see the code 9ZG in my PR numbers in the service book, just a single one for sound etc 8AY. Can anyone clarify what needs to be added?

thanks

greenfintry said:
I am also interested in this. Can anyone clarify what is needed in the RNS 510 to fit bluetooth handsfree? My unit does not have the capability but does have a mike for voice control, and also the buttons on the steering wheel. I cannot see the code 9ZG in my PR numbers in the service book, just a single one for sound etc 8AY. Can anyone clarify what needs to be added?

thanks

You need a bluetooth unit fitted & microphone & either Genuine VW, Fiscon or a parrot BT system.
Look on http://www.hazydayz.com for an idea of fitted prices.

wee westy said:
Hi Gary get a sparky to dae it ya dafty. :hello.
Hi Andy, did you get the photo?

Nice van Gary, nice colour, Sean and Hendo sleeping in the roof when you go for your weekend??

wee westy said:
Nice van Gary, nice colour, Sean and Hendo sleeping in the roof when you go for your weekend??
No.................we can all sleep together downstairs.......................not! He he

Another Toffee Brown!! Sorry to jump on an old thread but I just spotted your photo on the profile updates page; it's great seeing so many more photos in Avatars and it seems the browns are coming out of the woodwork :bananadance

Maud

Is Bluetooth an option ? I thought most new vehicles would have the connection. Mine has the DAB radio and the only info from the hand and radio book is push the media button and go to Aux, nothing happens when I press the phone button on steering wheel. Any help please ??? Paul

I'm sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick about what you are asking, Paul, but I will answer in case I can help!

Bluetooth is still an option on the T5, either standard or premium. Therefore you could have DAB and MFSW with phone controls but no Bluetooth and therefore no functionality there...

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can offer some more helpful advice!
Maud

Thanks Maud, probably haven't got it but I think there should be more information in the handbook. Paul.

Is Bluetooth an option ? I thought most new vehicles would have the connection. Mine has the DAB radio and the only info from the hand and radio book is push the media button and go to Aux, nothing happens when I press the phone button on steering wheel. Any help please ??? Paul

Try doing as Teeboy suggested......

Having a phone button on the steering wheel does not mean you have a Bluetooth kit installed.

If you have BT then turn the ignition on, then press the left and right buttons on the right hand side of the wheel.

It will go between something like settings - MFD, RADIO, PHONE, SETUP, NAV - if Phone doesn't come up then you don't have the unit installed.