Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introducing us and our Beach

sisumi

sisumi

Vehicle
T5 Beach
A quick thank you to everyone who posts valuable information and insights into California ownership on these forums. It's been so useful to have a question pop in my head and find the answer somewhere in these pages. We finally decided the Beach was the better choice for us as a family of four and a daily driver.

It's taken a little while to get used to the size of the van compared to a hatchback, but I have to say I barely notice the size now, although I still need to get the hang of it's more nautical handling!

So far we've done a quick one night test run at a relatively local site before we ventured further and longer. The kids absolutely loved staying up in the top and can't wait for the next trip. We were surprised how comfortable the bottom bed was, and with a little oil filled radiator, plenty warm enough. It highlighted a couple of things we need to sort: if it's cold outside, there's not enough space inside the van for four people (apart from sleeping) - we really need an awning. And unless you constantly remind kids to take their shoes off, they will bring a surprising amount of mud in with them.

So we're planning our next trip and we'll venture a bit further this time, my wife hasn't seen much of the UK beyond the overpopulated south east, so a trip to the Lake District might be next up - this we're packing the kids slippers!

Simon

Welcome on board!

:welcome
Take your time - you'll find what's right for you. And then share your experiences here.:bananadance2

Let us all know how you get on in the Lakes - we are headed up there later this year for the first time too. Enjoy and welcome!:welcome

I find now that if I am in a small hatchback I feel a too close to the ground, like I am going faster than I am. I am much prefer the van perspective now.

I find now that if I am in a small hatchback I feel a too close to the ground, like I am going faster than I am. I am much prefer the van perspective now.
My other car is a Toyota IQ (teeny tiny) and, although I drive that more often than the Cali, it feels really weird when I get back into it. The Cali feels lovely to drive whatever. As you say, the little car feels very, very close to the ground! When we bought the Cali we decided to keep the tiny car as I am a bit rubbish at parking and do lots of 'popping into town' including the dreaded supermarket carparks. I have to say though, after having driven the Cali a fair bit now, I don't know why I worried - it's a breeze to manoeuvre and most supermarkets can accommodate 1.9m car. Once my boy has passed his driving test, I think I may have to wave goodbye to the IQ ...