Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel Button

JOHNB61

JOHNB61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, the control panel button on my Cali is playing up. I have to push the button on an angle to try to make it respond. I’m a bit concerned to put the roof up in case I can’t change the instructions to take it down again.

Is this a common problem? Any hints?

Thanks
John

Step by step guide in the down loads section. Get one ordered from the shop ASAP. Then fit it your self following the instructions

Hi, the control panel button on my Cali is playing up. I have to push the button on an angle to try to make it respond. I’m a bit concerned to put the roof up in case I can’t change the instructions to take it down again.

Is this a common problem? Any hints?

Thanks
John
Hi
Yes it'll be the control button, the splines break off easily but you can get a replacement from the Cali Shop for about £34 and it comes with a new front panel. Did mine last week, easy once you get the old one out, see
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rotary-knob-on-control-panel.1174/page-2
Just a tip for anyone thinking of removing their control panel, makes sure that when reconnecting the plugs at the back, you reconnect the smallest plug first. Apparently, from the Cali tech at VW Liverpool, if you don't the unit will fail to recognise the heater and you will have to get VW to recode the unit. I did as he said and everything is working fine.

Hi
Yes it'll be the control button, the splines break off easily but you can get a replacement from the Cali Shop for about £34 and it comes with a new front panel. Did mine last week, easy once you get the old one out, see
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rotary-knob-on-control-panel.1174/page-2
Just a tip for anyone thinking of removing their control panel, makes sure that when reconnecting the plugs at the back, you reconnect the smallest plug first. Apparently, from the Cali tech at VW Liverpool, if you don't the unit will fail to recognise the heater and you will have to get VW to recode the unit. I did as he said and everything is working fine.

I've just replaced mine today with a new one from the Cali shop, following the photo-instructions on the downloads section of the Cali forum. Only one of the splines had broken so far, but the button was already partly spinning and I'm sure it wouldn't have been long until another one failed. It's a fiddly job, but perfectly do-able, after Amazon kindly supplied a T5 Torxx screwdriver. Fine-nosed pliers were also helpful for those 4 innermost screws, to loosen them the first half turn (in an emergency they would have been a slow but adequate alternative to the T5 Torxx). Thank heavens for this forum and the knowledgeable members who post such helpful advice! This was my second replacement within six years from new. The first was replaced after only 6 months, under warranty, along with the whole of the control panel. It's disappointing that VW haven't yet replaced this fragile and inadequate part with something tougher. I hope the T6 version is better. Also a shame that the button is only available together with a new front panel - but at least that's a lot less expensive than a whole control unit.

Obviously it's better to have a new button in place, but it was good to read that it's possible to use the controls without a button at all, once the broken one has been removed. Apparently a screwdriver can be used to press and turn the mechanism. That solution could rescue someone's holiday if they were otherwise unable to control the heater / fridge, and it could be a better medium-term solution than reverting to the manual roof mechanism, if a new part isn't quickly available. The epoxy putty and 3D-printing suggestions on the "Rotary knob on control panel" thread sound good too.

Back